LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 272 users in the forums

Opinion on Manny Lawson

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by darkknight49:
Manny isn't a bad pass rusher. I see him in the backfield a lot this year. His problem is the same as the team's: finishing. He hasn't finished his rushes and I think he needs a guy on the opposite side that helps out like he had in college with Mario Williams.

He's not bad, hes just not great either.

It's not that difficult to get into the backfield if all you are doing is rushing up 8 yards deep. His problem is that he can't turn it back towards the QB.

Yes he does this alot.
How would Manny do as an inside linebacker? Obviously He's kind of tall and lankier, but he's a good tackler, and is also very fast, which is still of real value inside as well.
Originally posted by backontop:
Manny isn't a bad pass rusher. I see him in the backfield a lot this year. His problem is the same as the team's: finishing. He hasn't finished his rushes and I think he needs a guy on the opposite side that helps out like he had in college with Mario Williams.

It's not that difficult to get into the backfield if all you are doing is rushing up 8 yards deep. His problem is that he can't turn it back towards the QB.

if it wasn't that hard then every DLineman would have a sack on every play. Once again you fail!

Is there anything you even like about the 49ers? You seem to hate just about everything about the 49ers so why are you even a fan?

You are comparing the edge to the inside? Wow, last time I checked, the defensive player on the edge is only being blocked from one side and the Tackle would be happy to let him go upfield and run himself out of the play.

Manny doesn't have the explosion or quickenss in close quaters while engaged to make THAT type of move which is why he is good at holding his ground and allowing his reach to disengage OFF of the blocker, to the side, in order play the run.

Just wow, I didn't know all DL only get blocked from one side like OLB's do.

You fail in understanding responsibilities of specific blockers.

if it wasn't that hard then every DLineman would have a sack on every play. Once again you fail!

Is there anything you even like about the 49ers? You seem to hate just about everything about the 49ers so why are you even a fan?

You are comparing the edge to the inside? Wow, last time I checked, the defensive player on the edge is only being blocked from one side and the Tackle would be happy to let him go upfield and run himself out of the play.

Manny doesn't have the explosion or quickenss in close quaters while engaged to make THAT type of move which is why he is good at holding his ground and allowing his reach to disengage OFF of the blocker, to the side, in order play the run.

wow reading comprehension fail! Where did I say anything about comparing the edge to the inside? like usual your only way of trying to prove a point is to make things up. The DE or OLB can do 1 of 2 things. Go outside and around the Tackle or go inside the Tackle. Lawson tries to use his speed to go around the tackle, much like many other DE and OLB do. I agree he gets pressure on the QB, majority of the time forcing the QB to have to step up in the pocket. Now if only there was another player on the line getting some kind of pressure, more than likey the QB would step up in the pocket and into another players grasp for a sack. That never happens though. Lawson did the same thing in college. He was always around the QB creating pressure but never really go to him.
Most of y'all are full of it anyways. Most of you wanted to give up on A. Franklin too("we need a real NT". "He's garbage". etc. ) yata yata ya.. The guy covers WR's, TE's, RB's, H-Backs, and FB's.. He does provide QB pressure's and knocks down a pass or two. Heck, we should be happy he can do all this and still give us 4-8 sacks

wow reading comprehension fail! Where did I say anything about comparing the edge to the inside? like usual your only way of trying to prove a point is to make things up. The DE or OLB can do 1 of 2 things. Go outside and around the Tackle or go inside the Tackle. Lawson tries to use his speed to go around the tackle, much like many other DE and OLB do. I agree he gets pressure on the QB, majority of the time forcing the QB to have to step up in the pocket. Now if only there was another player on the line getting some kind of pressure, more than likey the QB would step up in the pocket and into another players grasp for a sack. That never happens though. Lawson did the same thing in college. He was always around the QB creating pressure but never really go to him.

Too bad you included every D-Linemen getting a sack if all they did was run up field or I would have thought that you said every D-Lineman would get a sack if all they did was run upfield...oh wait.

Manny overshoots the throw point AND that's his ONLY move. That's not pressure, that's inability to rush the passer or win the battle against the blocker. Sorry.

Manny does NOT get consistent pressure on the QB. Like I have stated before, being near the QB AFTER the QB comfortably makes the pass within the timing given is not pressure.
[ Edited by Joecool on Nov 23, 2009 at 2:35 PM ]
Originally posted by BuZzB28:
Originally posted by BuZzB28:
Wow, most of ppl are talking about Manny Lawson? Lawson is not very popluars of Football player.. He look still ok to played of the field football.. I think, Spike, Brigg and Wihlhem #57 are better than Lawson's LB..

think me talk you no clue about football. Lawsone be beast one OLB against the run year 2009. He do good job taking edge away from running guy with football.

brrr!! Lawson is not beast because he didn't have in the league.. Willis is damn the best league and very beast that great blitz football. I really enjoyed to watch it. Willis has 88 TKL, 25 ASST, 2.5 Sack, 2 FF.. Lawson has 40 TKL, 12 ASST, 2.5 Sack, 1 FF.. Willis has best the top defense, 2nd is Goldson, 3rd is M.Lewis, 4th is T.Spikes and 5th is Lawson.. i know ur favorite player is Lawson? brrrr.. he look ok to play a football!

Originally posted by toppdogg32:
Most of y'all are full of it anyways. Most of you wanted to give up on A. Franklin too("we need a real NT". "He's garbage". etc. ) yata yata ya.. The guy covers WR's, TE's, RB's, H-Backs, and FB's.. He does provide QB pressure's and knocks down a pass or two. Heck, we should be happy he can do all this and still give us 4-8 sacks

Why does that make some people full of it? Franklin was playing like crap. It's not like he was playing at a high level and folks wanted him gone. and you gotta wonder if he's playing this well b/c it's a contract year. he's putting in work.
Manny Lawson is a very avg LB (when healthy)...get used to it.
Well in the beginning of the year, i started a post about Busts that included these main 3. Smith, Davis, and Lawson.

Now i said the only way they could be a bust if they arent used in the reason you drafted them for.

In Smiths case, he's starting again, and if all goes well, he will start next season. It is a fact tho, he is not the same QB he was before. Period, so no bust yet.

In Davis's case, same thing, this year he's finally coming into his role. The TE playmaker that makes things happen when he gets the ball. Not the best blocking TE in the league. As a result he is also having his best season, so no bust yet.

Now Lawson, he was drafted for sacks, not just pressures, not just simple coverages. So far since he was drafted, he has not lived up to the position that he was drafted for. Yes he is a lb, just for those that want to be smart asses. But he was drafted to become a Sack master.

I hate using the word bust because he's not a bust at all, because the guy can play, and does get pressure. But on specifics of why we drafted him, in that sense I think it's finally time to say bust, just in regards to us drafting him to be a sack master. Not a total bust because he brings a lot to our team.

the dude MAKES plays

HALL OF FAME NEEDS TO MAKE AN EXCEPTION AND LET HIM IN NOW
  • Veteran
He still sucks. LOL
Manny just caused a fumble in the RedZone for the 2nd time today!!! He may not be the sack monster the Niners wanted but he is a player we need to keep........

Correction......... It was 98 not 99 that caused the fumble. Manny still gets my vote!!!
[ Edited by kemp_j on Nov 29, 2009 at 3:22 PM ]
Hes great in run support but he needs to learn how to catch
Share 49ersWebzone