LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 225 users in the forums

Would you trade Frank Gore??

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Would you trade Frank Gore??

Originally posted by BrianGO:
Will people ever learn that this is not a video game?

First of all, Gore's salary is VERY reasonable.
Second, he gives the team chemistry because he is so easy to like as a person, and is a pure teammate.
Third, we don't HAVE Bill Walsh anymore. What the hell would we trade him for? A first-rounder? How the hell would that first-rounder be an upgrade over Gore?

Trading Gore would be like trading your favorite pet, for a newer, slightly younger pet who you probably won't like as much as the first one.

BY was never traded and was always paid well because not only was a he a player, but he was the heart and soul of the defense and one of the leaders of the team.

Even if you get a better "deal" for the traded player, it is not worth it because you will lose the CHEMISTRY and LEADERSHIP that is stupidly almost NEVER accounted for when making a trade.

Gore and Willis make up the CORE LEADERSHIP of our team. THOSE are the players you need to KEEP, because you will NEVER get an equal value from a trade, simply because CHEMISTRY and LEADERSHIP will not be considered when making the trade. Only the raw numbers will be considered. Every other player on our team is trade-able.

The Redskins LOVE wheel'in and deal'in. THEY think this is a video game where you simply insert player "x" into slot "y" and everything will magically work out.

Do you want to become the Redskins?
Hell, most of you probably DO want to be the Redskins. Their owner spends money like its going out of style.

Things that prove spending money does not create EXCELLENCE.
1) Raiders
2) Redskins
3) Microsoft
4) Ben Bernanke

too bad Gore will be done in a few years.
I would trade Gore for a 1st rounder this year and and a 2nd rounder next year
  • NinersCluebat
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by jays9ers:
I know some of you die hard Gore fans would say I'm crazy.. And I for one love Frank, but I'm also looking objectively towards the future.. It looks as if we'll be getting another OC next season, setting us back another 2 or 3 years. We have young WR's who will have time to develop and benefit from a new OC.. But Gore doesn't have that long to sit around and wait... 3 More seasons and he will be past his prime.. Would you consider moving him for players or draft picks???

I would trade anyone on this team right now, even Gore.
But for the love of all that is holy, where is it written that we are set back 2-3 yrs just bc we have a new OC. I could be wrong but Miami has a new OC.......I think Atlanta does....this notion that we are setback years bc of a new OC is ludicrous
Originally posted by NinersCluebat:
Originally posted by jays9ers:
I know some of you die hard Gore fans would say I'm crazy.. And I for one love Frank, but I'm also looking objectively towards the future.. It looks as if we'll be getting another OC next season, setting us back another 2 or 3 years. We have young WR's who will have time to develop and benefit from a new OC.. But Gore doesn't have that long to sit around and wait... 3 More seasons and he will be past his prime.. Would you consider moving him for players or draft picks???

I would trade anyone on this team right now, even Gore.
But for the love of all that is holy, where is it written that we are set back 2-3 yrs just bc we have a new OC. I could be wrong but Miami has a new OC.......I think Atlanta does....this notion that we are setback years bc of a new OC is ludicrous

They also haven't had new OC's 6 years in a row...
RB's don't have much value.. we'd probably get a 3rd at the most for Gore since he is on the decline of his career

[ Edited by YuNGbOn3 on Dec 24, 2008 at 19:56:34 ]
The Top 10 Leaders In Rushing Yards For The 2008 Season. Lets see what we got:

Rushing Rk Player Team Pos Att Att/G Yds Avg Yds/G TD Lng 1st 1st% 20+ 40+ FUM
1 Adrian Peterson MIN RB 342 22.8 1,657 4.8 110.5 9 59 78 22.8 19 3 8
2 Michael Turner ATL RB 351 23.4 1,491 4.2 99.4 16 66T 78 22.2 10 1 2
3 Clinton Portis WAS RB 313 20.9 1,407 4.5 93.8 8 31 71 22.7 13 0 2
4 DeAngelo Williams CAR RB 248 16.5 1,337 5.4 89.1 18 69T 57 23.0 13 5 0
5 Thomas Jones NYJ RB 280 18.7 1,289 4.6 85.9 13 59T 63 22.5 6 1 2
6 Chris Johnson TEN RB 251 16.7 1,228 4.9 81.9 9 66T 54 21.5 9 3 1
7 Steve Slaton HOU RB 248 16.5 1,190 4.8 79.3 8 71T 55 22.2 12 4 2
8 Matt Forte CHI RB 303 20.2 1,188 3.9 79.2 8 50T 60 19.8 8 2 1
9 Ryan Grant GB RB 293 19.5 1,097 3.7 73.1 4 57 47 16.0 4 1 3
10 Brandon Jacobs NYG RB 219 16.8 1,089 5.0 83.8 15 44 57 26.0 12 1 3

• Three Rookie Running Backs (Slaton, Johnson, Forte)
  • A Second Year Player Leading the League In Rushing Yards (Peterson)
  • Four Running Backs In Their First Full Year Starting (Turner, Williams, Grant, and Jacobs, who only started half a year last season.)
  • Two Backs Who Have Been A Primary Back Prior to This Season

So, a whopping 80% top 10 are either first or second year players, or in their first year as a starter. So, this whole idea that it would be hard to find a running back to replace Gore, is quite frankly, stupid. There are plenty of young guys and, or guys getting their first crack at being a number one who are excelling in the capacity.

And of the two guys in the top ten who have had extensive work as primary backs?

There is Clinton Portis who has been in the league 7 and been a starter the whole time, but he missed half a season one year, and has started a full 16 games only three times.

And you have Thomas Jones who has been in the league 9 years, but only a full-time starter for 5, and only once started a whole 16 game season.

So we know young guys can stay in right away. We also know the vets on the list will get nicked up and miss some time, Gore is further proof of this as he only started a full season once which was his first year as a starter.

But here is something else, both Portis and Jones ranked in the top 10 last season, but neither did the year previous. So none of the 10 leading rushers from 2 years ago appear on the list this year through 15 games! Talk about turnover rate!

So, those numbers cleary demonstrate that the time for a running back at the top is short and fleeting. And Gore has already been there, and may not return to his 2006 form. While he will surely produce well, he is already getting banged up and with the ACL's in college, and the shoulder seperations in the pro's, he has already put some wear on the tires in his relatively short career. So, again not that we would trade Gore, but if you could get a good deal for him, it is not impossible to replace his production.
Let him go to a team that he'll be happy on.
RB is the easiest position to transition to from college. As much as i love Gore, he can be replaced. If we had a WR of Gore's stature, I would say hell no.
It depends on what we get for him...
For two first rounders and two second rounders I would trade Gore.

Maybe some of you need a history lesson. Walker was traded by Jimmy Johnson for like 5 picks from MN and built the whole Dallas Cowboy dynasty from that one draft.

Every player has a price...every one.

[ Edited by bigwads on Dec 25, 2008 at 13:30:54 ]

Thing is... you can win in the NFL the next season. Teams like the Patriots and Colts don't plan things out from a 5 or 6 year perspective... They just don't do stupid moves that hurt them in the 5 or 6 year perspective. That's why they're successful.
If the offered compensation was outlandish enough that you would be a fool not to (Herschel Walker type trade), then yes I would, but it would have to be that kind of deal. Otherwise I would keep Gore, even tho RB's are a dime a dozen nowadays.
This
Is
Not
Madden

The guy is a Warrior the heartbeat of the team. NFL trades are infrequent because, unlike the draft, there is no "value chart"

He has had some nagging injuries the last 2 years but he is trying to come back for the last game. I hope he gets his 1,000.

The current injury is a sprained ankle, which happens. His achilles coming into the league was his knees (ACL on each).

I'll take 53 Frank Gores on my team.

The most he would fetch would be a 3rd round pick. Given some of the picks we've made in that round (Brandon Williams ) I'll take my chances with Father Time and let Frank continue to play.

I'd like to see if Clayton can play. I would not want to go into next year with Foster and Clayton as the only RBS (and Robinson). Clayton is unproven and most young players can't pick up the blitz. Foster can't seem to hit holes or accelerate. He's good at downhill running, however.
This is a league where the Dolphins and Falcons went from the basement to playoffs in ONE season. Gore is the heart of the offense.

"I want players who want to win!" This means now not in 3 years.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
For a first rounder, Yes! However, no team would make that deal.

Time is clicking for Gore. He probably has three more good years, and that is about it.

I dont know Maddog a team like the Patriots would make that deal,but i would want a little more from them because they draft so late
Share 49ersWebzone