LISTEN: Reacting to the 49ers Drafting Ricky Pearsall →

There are 302 users in the forums

Rules that should be changed

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by artiga1:
It's a pipe dream but...Allow coaches to use challenge flags on crucial penalties. I hate when refs botch an important call and coaches can't do anything about it. Too many times it's not a hold, or a PI, or an illegal hit. Brooks' (legal) hit on Brees in the playoffs a few years ago comes to mind.

I agree its a pipe dream, but I really dont understand the downside to allowing coaches to do this. I have yet to hear someone come up with one legitimate reason as to why challenging penalties is bad for the sport.
Guess who else is missing valuable OTA practices or most of them, Mr. McCaffrey with the Panthers. Because of the stupid rule preventing rookies whose college is on the quarter system from participating in any offseason practice until their respective school year's officially over. That rule is dumb as hell and needs to be vacated.
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
Originally posted by artiga1:
It's a pipe dream but...Allow coaches to use challenge flags on crucial penalties. I hate when refs botch an important call and coaches can't do anything about it. Too many times it's not a hold, or a PI, or an illegal hit. Brooks' (legal) hit on Brees in the playoffs a few years ago comes to mind.

I agree its a pipe dream, but I really dont understand the downside to allowing coaches to do this. I have yet to hear someone come up with one legitimate reason as to why challenging penalties is bad for the sport.

Pretty simple why they won't allow that.
Because, then the NFL is unable to control the outcome of the games.
I still think we got f**ked in the SB, and the @ Seacocks NFCCG, @ Saints with Brooks call on Breezy, I could go on.
[ Edited by jeepzilla on Jun 6, 2017 at 6:42 PM ]
NFL Network's Judy Battista reports the Competition Committee is considering removing the "going to the ground" portion of the catch rule.

"Going to the ground" situations seem to cause the most consternation among teams and fans alike, so removing it would be a welcome step as the league looks to simplify the catch rule. Battista reports the committee will also look into a targeting rule, changing defensive pass interference from a spot foul to a 15-yard penalty, and stricter enforcement of illegal contact.

15 yard PI penalty would give defenders something but take away the contact downfield in return
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:
NFL Network's Judy Battista reports the Competition Committee is considering removing the "going to the ground" portion of the catch rule.

"Going to the ground" situations seem to cause the most consternation among teams and fans alike, so removing it would be a welcome step as the league looks to simplify the catch rule. Battista reports the committee will also look into a targeting rule, changing defensive pass interference from a spot foul to a 15-yard penalty, and stricter enforcement of illegal contact.

15 yard PI penalty would give defenders something but take away the contact downfield in return

Good news. I hope they make sure to start calling more offensive pass interference. And to ban the receiver gloves they use. That would help defenders out a lot
Originally posted by Hysterikal:

Good news. I hope they make sure to start calling more offensive pass interference. And to ban the receiver gloves they use. That would help defenders out a lot

yeah i like that new potential PI rule. It'll make it easier on dbs to make contact without fear of giving up a huge foul.
  • thl408

Stricter enforcement of illegal contact? What is this, 2004?
http://www.espn.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=1771047
As the annual league meetings convened in Palm Beach, Fla., on Monday, competition committee co-chairman Rich McKay and Jeff Fisher apprised owners and coaches that the illegal contact rule will become a so-called "point of emphasis" for the 2004 season.

Or is it 2014?
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/sports/wp/2014/08/13/nfl-crackdown-on-illegal-contact-may-spur-epic-stat-surge-for-qbs-like-tom-brady-peyton-manning/?utm_term=.6a90cf271576
That remains to be seen, with the NFL saying that strict enforcement of the illegal contact rules will be a "major" point of officiating emphasis for the 2014 season.
Hope we dont see a s**t load more PI calls 40+ yards downfield from beaten dbs who know a penalty will only cost the team 15 yards
Originally posted by crabman82:
Hope we dont see a s**t load more PI calls 40+ yards downfield from beaten dbs who know a penalty will only cost the team 15 yards

And that's why it is likely going to be abused. And won't get passed
Originally posted by susweel:
Cheerleaders should be nude.

I hope not. I hate that rule in college.
I really think the NFL needs to look into the gloves the players are wearing. I don't know anyone has ever used them but it is seriously like having duct tape for hands. While I love seeing a great 1 handed catch at this point I'm numb to them anymore cause it's so normal now.

Do they get a fresh set of downs with that 15yds penalty?
  • bors
  • Veteran
Yup I like the idea. Standard pi 15. If it's like super bad. Then make it a 25
As soon as the game is micromanaged the flow is gone. Penalties can be called on every play. The more you officiate the game the less it resembles the game I grew up with. As I've posted many times, the future of the league is the Arena Football model, IMO. Get rid of the billion dollar stadiums that become obsolete in a few decades. Smaller playing fields, less chance for injury, basketball scoring numbers, 30 game seasons in 20,000 seat indoor facilities. Defense is unnecessary, it takes points off the scoreboard. The past Super Bowl was Arena football at it's' best (or worse, depending on your perspective).
Share 49ersWebzone