LISTEN: Reacting to the 49ers Drafting Ricky Pearsall →

There are 312 users in the forums

Odell Beckham Jr.'s Catch - Best Ever?

Shop 49ers game tickets

Odell Beckham Jr.'s Catch - Best Ever?

• Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
not even kidding. If Beckham were drafted by the niners, he's be exactly where Ellington is. This team has NO idea on how to use it's own talent.
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
not even kidding. If Beckham were drafted by the niners, he's be exactly where Ellington is. This team has NO idea on how to use it's own talent.

Goes without saying
  • jcs
  • Veteran
It was a fun and insignificant catch. New York media hyping up a lost season for the NY Giants. I think the catch Boldin made last week was more impressive.
One trend I've noticed is that after a great catch happens (be it in baseball, football, etc), it immediately generates discussions like these. Often-times you'll see polls pop up on websites like ESPN; generally speaking, the catch that just happened and generated the discussion in the first place is the one that is viewed most favorably. In other words, there's almost some sort of "fresh-in-our-memory" bias that's at play.

I don't know if it's the best catch ever. As others have stated, it depends on what factors you take into consideration. From a purely athletic standpoint it was incredible, that's for sure.
Originally posted by theduke85:
One trend I've noticed is that after a great catch happens (be it in baseball, football, etc), it immediately generates discussions like these. Often-times you'll see polls pop up on websites like ESPN; generally speaking, the catch that just happened and generated the discussion in the first place is the one that is viewed most favorably. In other words, there's almost some sort of "fresh-in-our-memory" bias that's at play.

I don't know if it's the best catch ever. As others have stated, it depends on what factors you take into consideration. From a purely athletic standpoint it was incredible, that's for sure.

Like all great catches, there's nothing better then the next one
To me the Brandon Lloyd catch against Seattle was the most impressive. It was back when Garcia was at helm and T.O. was injured.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Q31BRc3RgyE
Originally posted by theduke85:

espn is basically the fox news of sports. most of the bs they do and say is all for ratings. i mean just look at the people they have on tv. all of them have wwf personalities.
Have you ever watched pros warm up their hands playing catch? One handed catches are easy for most good receivers. I'm surprised we don't see it more, actually, but everyone is taught to use two. Eric Reid said Beckham did it all the time in practice at LSU. Heck, back in high school, we used to do it in practice all the time. Now, this catch was special...but I've seen it before...in intermurals at Fresno State in the 80s. We'll see more guys try in in games, now, I bet.
Originally posted by gold49digger:
yes i dont care what anyone says, its the best damn catch i have ever seen.

I saw a receiver on a deep crossing pattern reach all the way behind himself to the very limit while running hard forward across the field and make a 1 handed fingertip catch. A 1 handed catch with all your momentum takeing you away from the ball reaching back as far as your arm can stretch just to get a hand on it. Much tougher catch.

What about TO's catch against the packers? Immediately slammed by 2 safties as the ball arrives and he makes the catch

It was a truly great catch but people have a tendancy to think the latest is the greatest.
I made the same catch in pee wee football with my eyes closed in an ice storm

• xcfan
  • Veteran
odell and jarvis landry are who we thought they were. should've drafted both those guys.
  • Buchy
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Yes, best ever.

Wanted OBJ for SF or KC so badly!

OBJ would've been used better by KC than SF

and I'm talking by the offensive coordinators not QBs so nobody freak out

Oh, I agree.

Originally posted by zaghawk:
I think the Niner's WR group is one of the best in the NFL. The WR group is NOT the problem with the passing game.

Agree with this as well. Once SF acquired Stevie Johnson, I pretty well let off the pedal for the OBJ to SF thoughts...

Giants drafted OBJ in the first round, we then traded for Stevie J after this happened.
Originally posted by Kappadonna:
To me the Brandon Lloyd catch against Seattle was the most impressive. It was back when Garcia was at helm and T.O. was injured.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Q31BRc3RgyE

Just think about this for a minute:

Jeff Garcia
Rattay/Pickett/Dorsey (whoever threw that pass against the Giants in '05)
Alex Smith
Kaepernick

All threw passes to Brandon Lloyd. The fact that he's still in the league and can represent dark ages even prior to Andy Lee is something else.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Probably Best Catch from an athletic viewpoint.

But NOT a significant catch as far as winning a meaningful game - Like "The Catch" was.

This. It will go in his personal files, and be forgotten since it didn't amount to a win. The TO catch from Steve Young to win over Green Bay got more accolades because that was a game winning catch. And that was right to him lol. Could watch that over and over again. Beckams catch, yeah you could watch it and say "wow, GREAT catch.......what's on next?"
Originally posted by JimA49ers:
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Probably Best Catch from an athletic viewpoint.

But NOT a significant catch as far as winning a meaningful game - Like "The Catch" was.

This. It will go in his personal files, and be forgotten since it didn't amount to a win. The TO catch from Steve Young to win over Green Bay got more accolades because that was a game winning catch. And that was right to him lol. Could watch that over and over again. Beckams catch, yeah you could watch it and say "wow, GREAT catch.......what's on next?"

Brandon Lloyd's catch a month or so ago was an athletic catch on par t/Beckham's.
Share 49ersWebzone