LISTEN: Reacting to the 49ers Drafting Ricky Pearsall →

There are 515 users in the forums

Donte Whitner aka Hitner

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by jimrat:
Originally posted by bzborow1:
Allen would be a really good addition. I would also wonder if the 49ers might actually consider jumping up in the draft to grab one of its top two safeties like it did last year with Reid? Seems to me with all the supposed depth of the WR talent in this years draft that moving up for a safety and grabbing a speed guy later might be another idea.

Hopefully Ha Ha Clinton-Dix

Ha Ha & Reid would be a dangerous tandem.
Originally posted by NeonNiner:
Originally posted by jimrat:
Originally posted by bzborow1:
Allen would be a really good addition. I would also wonder if the 49ers might actually consider jumping up in the draft to grab one of its top two safeties like it did last year with Reid? Seems to me with all the supposed depth of the WR talent in this years draft that moving up for a safety and grabbing a speed guy later might be another idea.

Hopefully Ha Ha Clinton-Dix

Half of our defense will be littered with SEC players.
In the words of Eddie D..

"he gone!"
If Whitner leaves, Baalke will have to sign a vet S. No matter who you draft, you don't want him starting opposite a 2nd yr FS. Reid's great, but one of the reasons he rose so quickly was Whitner. It'll be interesting to see who Baalke corrals. The increased salary cap is a blessing and a curse, all at the same time.
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:

"he gone!"

I think it could be a situation like Goldson a few years ago where Whitner explores the free agency situation, doesn't get a whole bunch of interest and comes back to the 49ers for a reasonable price.
I love Whitner on this team i really do the only problem hes a throw back to the safeties of the 70's and 80's a guy who will lay you out and make you pay for catching the ball. The only problem is in today's NFL you cant do that. All his hits even clean hits draw penalties i was so angry and disgusted when he would make a clean hit and still get the penalty. The reality of it is as much as we love him on the team his style of play is no longer useful in the NFL so will the Niners pay him top dollar for a guy who is just decent in coverage and the only thing hes good at the NFL wont let him i say no. So if another team does pay more sadly he will be gone. On the bright side Niners might get lucky and get another guy on Reid's level of coverage to start opposite of him.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

"he gone!"

I think it could be a situation like Goldson a few years ago where Whitner explores the free agency situation, doesn't get a whole bunch of interest and comes back to the 49ers for a reasonable price.

i think he'll get plenty of interest. whitner was a beast for us and hes a team leader type of guy.
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
i think he'll get plenty of interest. whitner was a beast for us and hes a team leader type of guy.

yup, he has plenty of suitors
Originally posted by Raul98:
I love Whitner on this team i really do the only problem hes a throw back to the safeties of the 70's and 80's a guy who will lay you out and make you pay for catching the ball. The only problem is in today's NFL you cant do that. All his hits even clean hits draw penalties i was so angry and disgusted when he would make a clean hit and still get the penalty. The reality of it is as much as we love him on the team his style of play is no longer useful in the NFL so will the Niners pay him top dollar for a guy who is just decent in coverage and the only thing hes good at the NFL wont let him i say no. So if another team does pay more sadly he will be gone. On the bright side Niners might get lucky and get another guy on Reid's level of coverage to start opposite of him.

Kam Chancellor did that
Having the jets interested is a bad omen. It's nearly the kiss of death... Might as well start looking at SS's in the draft and let barlow, I mean Whitner go.

Let Whitner walk. He's VERY replaceable. We can find a cheaper option vet in FA or even CJ Spillman and a draftee Buchananon or Brooks from FSU.
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
Let Whitner walk. He's VERY replaceable. We can find a cheaper option vet in FA or even CJ Spillman and a draftee Buchananon or Brooks from FSU.

Replaceable yes, very, no.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NeonNiner:

They'll push / complement each other and be highly competitive... who gets the last laugh
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Jets are interested in his services... Rex Ryan might be interested with his feet
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

"he gone!"

And he's still young, too.
Share 49ersWebzone