There are 265 users in the forums

Donte Whitner aka Hitner

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by mayo49:
And he's still young, too.

Soon to be 29...not so much. For a guy that wasnt all too highly regarded coming from Buffalo after a few disappointing seasons, who a lot on here were initially ticked off by the 49ers signing him, i think he is being overrated just a bit now. I do think that keeping him for another 2 to 3 seasons would be the 49ers best bet, but if they dont, i do nit foresee a huge dropoff if tgey bring in a mid level FA and a rookie to develop behind him.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by mayo49:
And he's still young, too.

Soon to be 29...not so much. For a guy that wasnt all too highly regarded coming from Buffalo after a few disappointing seasons, who a lot on here were initially ticked off by the 49ers signing him, i think he is being overrated just a bit now. I do think that keeping him for another 2 to 3 seasons would be the 49ers best bet, but if they dont, i do nit foresee a huge dropoff if tgey bring in a mid level FA and a rookie to develop behind him.

He's got 2 or 3 more good years left.
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
Let Whitner walk. He's VERY replaceable. We can find a cheaper option vet in FA or even CJ Spillman and a draftee Buchananon or Brooks from FSU.

Wow finally someone with reason. I been saying this for months. We could get bucchanon in the 2nd
One aspect WRT Whitner not mentioned much (or at all) is his impact on Reid. ER himself gave major props to Donte for helping him elevate his game as a rookie. I thought together they were a very good S tandem. As for all the hits many posters have talked about, not a single PF flag thrown by officials the entire '13 season was accompanied by a fine. That simply shows officials were over-zealous throwing flags. Whitner wasn't alone in that regard...a number of hard-hitting S were flagged consistently, many of those calls bogus. All that said, I'd be happy if he re-signed...if not, Baalke has more work to do to find a vet S. There's absolutely no way Harbaugh will have a rookie SS starting alongside his 2nd yr FS.
If the Jets are going to drive the price of a 29 year old strong safety who is rated as mediocre by PFF, the Niners should let him go for the money. Again, it should be obvious by now that the NFL is trying to force teams into playing a more tight coverage and a less "enforcer" type play in the secondary. Draft one of the better safeties out of college who has more speed and specializes in tighter coverage. No more drive-extending 15-yard penalties. Prevent receivers from catching the ball instead of trying to separate them from the ball after they've caught it.
Originally posted by crake49:
If the Jets are going to drive the price of a 29 year old strong safety who is rated as mediocre by PFF, the Niners should let him go for the money. Again, it should be obvious by now that the NFL is trying to force teams into playing a more tight coverage and a less "enforcer" type play in the secondary. Draft one of the better safeties out of college who has more speed and specializes in tighter coverage. No more drive-extending 15-yard penalties. Prevent receivers from catching the ball instead of trying to separate them from the ball after they've caught it.

This!!!!!
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:

This!!!!!
agree, i like him but he has a titch to much of goldson in him. if he leaves it is not tragic
Originally posted by cciowa:

This!!!!!
agree, i like him but he has a titch to much of goldson in him. if he leaves it is not tragic

Exactly...make the QB hesitate d/t tight coverage so that Michael Bennett can sack the QB/force fumble. Wait...never mind!
Eric Branch ‏@Eric_Branch 51s
Source: #Browns, #Bears, #Jets have expressed most interest in S Donte Whitner. #49ers "still pushing" to retain him.
Originally posted by crabman82:
Source: #Browns, #Bears, #Jets have expressed most interest in S Donte Whitner. #49ers "still pushing" to retain him.

I'm sure we offered him a very fair deal, probably in the 2-3 year range. He's been stating he wants to remain a Niner all year long. Here is his chance.

Stay tuned...
[ Edited by NCommand on Mar 10, 2014 at 9:53 AM ]

• cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by crabman82:
there is a point where we stop pushing. we will not get into a pissing war over whitner. i bet the niners already have a plan to replace him. it involves the draft. i would like to think it would involve a respectable free agent but whatever is fine with me
Mary Kay Cabot ‏@MaryKayCabot 1m
Source told http://cleveland.com ; #Browns "are very serious'' about signing Cleveland native Donte Whitner, 49ers safety. He'd replace Ward
Originally posted by lucky_49:
Source told http://cleveland.com ; #Browns "are very serious'' about signing Cleveland native Donte Whitner, 49ers safety. He'd replace Ward

Bummer but buh-bye. Tampa, Browns? You'll get your pay day but both places are career suicides. It's on you Whitner where you REALLY want to be. Should we get some bets going? LOL

Bummer but buh-bye. Tampa, Browns? You'll get your pay day but both places are career suicides. It's on you Whitner where you REALLY want to be. Should we get some bets going? LOL

Who is the bucs other safety besides goldson? Maybe whitner should go to tampa to be reunited with his buddy dashon

Who is the bucs other safety besides goldson? Maybe whitner should go to tampa to be reunited with his buddy dashon

mark barron, 7th pick in 2012
Share 49ersWebzone