There are 107 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

What if they Ban on chop blocks in tackle box

http://www.nflevolution.com/article/Health-and-safety-rule-proposal-Ban-on-chop-blocks-in-tackle-box?ref=7028&module=HP11_content_stream

If this is placed in as a new rule in the NFL then this could effect us the most due to the high volume of creative running schemes we run. If anyone can recall, alot of our toss/sweeps we ran last year our lead blockers (TE/RB) made a living on chop blocks... by removing an opposing front 7 defender completely allowed our backs to adjust to up the field tacklers and giving better wiggle room for extra yards. If our halfbacks or tightends are not able to bring down any front 7 defender at any time this could subdue our potency on the running plays.

In all I understand the danger on chopping the legs on opposing players who are not able to defend themselves, and there needs to be a limit to when and how this kind of action can be used, I just hope this doesn't go to far and ultimately remove chop blocks... I mean whats next, they going to tell linemen to stop pancaking bc of the damage there doing to the opposing player tokus.
They ALSO are trying to say a defender shouldn't be able to lower his helmet when running... -_- .They are just destroying the game... It's about to be flag football but not in the sense that you think I'm speaking of.
Are we still talking about football?
I know, some of these rules are getting out of wack... some make since but some are taking the very essence of why Football is Football. Some guys are faster then others so they go around you and some are bigger and will bull doze threw you... its a game of wits... leave it that way. If a running back can lower his head and bull doze then a defender should be able too. The crappy part is people get injured...but wait... dont they make millions to take that chance...
We have men who get paid way less and take that chance knowing a strong gust wind could send them 40 stories to their death while building sky scrapers.
Or maybe we shouldn't have paid N. Armstrong to land on the moon because he might die.
Any player knows at any given time they could get injured, that is the name of the game... Dont get me wrong some things do need to change when it comes to cheap shots or when someone can protect themselves, but lets be fair here.
[ Edited by Constantine on Mar 16, 2013 at 4:37 PM ]
Originally posted by okdkid:
Are we still talking about football?

If you read the posted link, you'll see that it was a article from NFL.com...
so in all... yes we are talking football.
It seems like a lot of these potential rule changes are targeting the Niners specifically (i.e. the so-called "Harbaugh rule") or targeting the running game which is our bread and butter (removing chop blocks, banning RB's leading with their head).

With the preexisting limits on what a defender can do to a receiver and then these proposed rule changes it's going to further accelerate the NFL becoming an increasingly passing dominant league. If they keep this up the NFL is destined to more closely resemble the Arena League than the NFL.
I've said it once and I'll say it again: The problem is not the rules, it's the fact that they players today are too big, too strong, and too fast. f**k the union and get HGH testing done. The best way to make the game safer is to take a STRICT "if it's not a protein shake, it's illegal" approach to supplements.
After actually looking at the Brian Cushing video where he got injured, I'm going to take back what I said and withhold judgment till I know more details about what exactly is legal and what is illegal.

The type of block that injured Cushing is much different than the type of block made by a pulling guard or WR on a FB/TE on an outside run.
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
After actually looking at the Brian Cushing video where he got injured, I'm going to take back what I said and withhold judgment till I know more details about what exactly is legal and what is illegal.

The type of block that injured Cushing is much different than the type of block made by a pulling guard or WR on a FB/TE on an outside run.

how would it matter to us if all of our chop blocks on the sweep runs were outside of the tackle box?
Originally posted by kujon11:

how would it matter to us if all of our chop blocks on the sweep runs were outside of the tackle box?

We'll have to wait and see. If it gets passed by the league owners I'm sure we'll here more about what exactly is legal and illegal.

If the player can see it coming... ie from the front only... then I don't see there being a problem. That cushing block was flat out wrong
Originally posted by Constantine:

If the player can see it coming... ie from the front only... then I don't see there being a problem. That cushing block was flat out wrong

was painful to watch. Cushing is a really good player
the game is being ruined in front of our eyes
To answer your question - We'll adjust and win anyway.
shanny's offense will change ...... going to be interesting