LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 236 users in the forums

Do You Want Delanie Walker Back?

Shop 49ers game tickets

Do You Want Delanie Walker Back?

Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by PA9erFaithful:
One of the best blocking TEs in the NFL. That and his versatility will be missed, but can eventually be replaced. Any team that signs him needs to get his ass in front of the Jugs machine as soon as he's done putting pen to paper on his contract.
ah yes, the jugs machine. the infamous savior. he could sleep with that thing and it will not help get any better than he is right now. a with our first three picks you fix the defensive issues, then you get a tight end in round three that can catch, block and play special teams, thus removing mr juggs.

I suspect a guy with 7 years under his belt has probably tried the juggs machine.
Originally posted by cciowa:
ah yes, the jugs machine. the infamous savior. he could sleep with that thing and it will not help get any better than he is right now. a with our first three picks you fix the defensive issues, then you get a tight end in round three that can catch, block and play special teams, thus removing mr juggs.

The "Jugs Machine" rhetoric is absolutely asinine. This guy has had lousy hands his entire career, but 8 years into it, some extra time catching footballs will all of a sudden turn his hands into gold?

I'm amazed at how many people on these Forums consistently bring that up. "Oh, his hands are fine, he just needs to spend some more time with the Jugs machine."

Yeah and all Adam Dunn needs is to spend more time in a batting cage.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Mar 10, 2013 at 10:41 AM ]
Didnt really notice the drops with Walker until this season. Could have been trying too hard to make plays in a contract year. Hope he stays because he really is a big part of what we do on Offense
As long is a reasonable price I welcome him back
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by English:
I suspect a guy with 7 years under his belt has probably tried the juggs machine.

work or lack of work with the "juggs" is not the reason walker can not be trusted to catch a ball. he has bad hands and i think he is as good as he is ever going to be. i also think that is not good enough for us if we want to get over the hump and win a super bowl
The only real negative is the dropped passes.

If I'm him, I'd be catching an extra 1000 balls a day and get a mega contract.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
The only real negative is the dropped passes.

If I'm him, I'd be catching an extra 1000 balls a day and get a mega contract.

LOL.....also hate when people say this.

"Man, that guy's a great doctor, he does a fantastic job in surgery, if only he didn't keep poisoning his patients by prescribing them the wrong drugs."

Catching passes is literally like half his job, forget all the other BS, if he can't catch, his value will never be that high.
Agree Phoenix

I don't want him back!

Primarily because he doesn't catch the ball consistently.

BUTTTT I was pointing out if I was Delaine and wanted more $$$$$$$ I would practice ala Jerry Rice catching everything so I could EARN the big bucks! If could catch consistenly he'd be offered a major contract.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Agree Phoenix

I don't want him back!

Primarily because he doesn't catch the ball consistently.

BUTTTT I was pointing out if I was Delaine and wanted more $$$$$$$ I would practice ala Jerry Rice catching everything so I could EARN the big bucks! If could catch consistenly he'd be offered a major contract.

Here's the thing, you don't all of a sudden become a good receiver after not being one for 7 years. There's more to it than just the physical motion of catching, if you don't have the right mindset, its not gonna happen for you.

Saying that all Walker needs to do is to catch more passes is no different than saying that Shaq could have been a pretty good free throw shooter had he practiced more. He's never going to earn a huge contract because he's not that kind of player. I can see a team wanting to give him $3 mil a year, but not much beyond that.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Mar 10, 2013 at 11:33 AM ]
Here's how I look at it.

Please read what I wrote. I didn't say all he had to do was catch more passes. I said he should PRACTICE catching more passes so when came his way he wopuldn't drop them.

Jerry Rice was NOT the most talented receiver to play the game. I don't think anyone really knows who was. IMO, Randy Moss was more talented.

BUTTTT nobody but nobody outworked, outpracticed and as a result he out-performed everyone who ever caught a pass.

Concentrated Practice, practice, practice makes perfirct. That's what I was trying to get accross - if it didn't work TS.

I AGREE, he won't earn a huge contract and I certainly wouldn't want us to pay him one.

Walker is under-rated as a blocker, IMO.
Not the most reliable of hands but he is very versatile so yes bring him back baby!
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by gold49digger:
Not the most reliable of hands but he is very versatile so yes bring him back baby!

great. a tight end that is not reliable but its ok cuz he blocks well that philosophy cost us one of the rams games you know
The guy cant catch a flu, but I like that he finds open space so that balls can be thrown to him. There are only a handful of TEs in this league (and most of them are not your number 2 guy) that can find a lane then use it effectively to get open. If Delanie could catch, he'd likely be a hot commodity in free agency. This could be a blessing in disguise. I hope we keep him.

And lets not forget. For every 5 passes he drops in a row, the guy sure as hell comes up big at the most inopportune times. Id keep him.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by HudsonValley:
The guy cant catch a flu, but I like that he finds open space so that balls can be thrown to him. There are only a handful of TEs in this league (and most of them are not your number 2 guy) that can find a lane then use it effectively to get open. If Delanie could catch, he'd likely be a hot commodity in free agency. This could be a blessing in disguise. I hope we keep him.

And lets not forget. For every 5 passes he drops in a row, the guy sure as hell comes up big at the most inopportune times. Id keep him.

i am not going to throw him a bone because he makes a catch one out of five times. why slobber over the guy when he catches a pass. that is his job and that is what is supposed to be doing all or a majority of the time. you could not keep a guy who is one out of five in baseball or is one out of five or two out of ten shooting in basketball. again the phrase" well he can not catch but we need to keep him" makes me insane
Share 49ersWebzone