LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 265 users in the forums

Report: Browns still expected to seek trade for QB Ryan Mallett, Bucs also interested

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
Originally posted by tjd808185:
the Pats might not want to deal Mallet, b/c Brady is what already 36?

He'll still be around when Mallet's contract comes up and that's enough to deal him.

what if the Pats acquired Weeden to learn under Brady?

Weeden is older than Brady, so no.
Originally posted by marshniners24:

He'll still be around when Mallet's contract comes up and that's enough to deal him.

Weeden is 28 and Brady is 35. so no

Sadly by the time Brady retires, Weeden will already be a good way over the 30 mark, I think the Pats would rather have a young qb to learn under him. For those reasons, I seriously doubt that Mallet is going anywhere unless the Pats are afraid that they can't resign him once his contract is up.

I don't think New England is sold on Mallett at all, they're just hoping to maximize his trade value.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

I don't think New England is sold on Mallett at all, they're just hoping to maximize his trade value.
Have to agree with you. I don't think they are sold, Brady is undercontract, They could easily trade him get loaded on picks again. If they do that, the can draft another qb and have time to groom him to replace brady still. Rich just keep getting richer.
Belichick doesn't give ice in the winter, you can bet if the Pats make the deal they come out way ahead.

Overstudy
Originally posted by Jcool:
At 6'7" and a statue in the pocket + he isn't very accurate... If i was Cleveland i wouldn't go near him.

If he gets his mind right, Cleveland could be the ideal situation for him. He's always had 1st round talent, cannon for an arm, good ability to read the defense and make his progressions, however he's the guy with the proverbial "10 cent brain" so its a crapshoot.

Both his parents are teachers . . . at the college level, I think. There's noithing wrong with his brain as he's reportedly been very astute with understanding the game. So I don't understand the "proverbial 10 cent brain" that you're alluding to. Unless you mean that he wouldn't bend over and kiss the teams' interviewers' a$$es during the combine. Yes he didn't do that. Personally, I like that. And he's not the drug addict that they were trying to paint him as. Just a kid who tried some weed. Normal.
When has a New England back-up they've traded away done anything useful for the acquiring team? I'd stay away.

• Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Rsrkshn:
Originally posted by Jcool:
At 6'7" and a statue in the pocket + he isn't very accurate... If i was Cleveland i wouldn't go near him.

If he gets his mind right, Cleveland could be the ideal situation for him. He's always had 1st round talent, cannon for an arm, good ability to read the defense and make his progressions, however he's the guy with the proverbial "10 cent brain" so its a crapshoot.

Both his parents are teachers . . . at the college level, I think. There's noithing wrong with his brain as he's reportedly been very astute with understanding the game. So I don't understand the "proverbial 10 cent brain" that you're alluding to. Unless you mean that he wouldn't bend over and kiss the teams' interviewers' a$$es during the combine. Yes he didn't do that. Personally, I like that. And he's not the drug addict that they were trying to paint him as. Just a kid who tried some weed. Normal.

What does that have to do with anything? Having smart parents doesn't make you smart.
Was my favorite QB coming out. I think he had the most talented arm. His mobility sucks, but there's plenty of statues in the pocket: Brady, Peyton, Schuab, Weeden, Ari QBs, Bradford, Flacco, etc.

His big issue was the cocaine rumors and the "wigger" (sorry) persona. I haven't heard anything negative about him since he's been in the league. I think he's definitely talented enough to be a starter. He has that Kaepernick arm strength and he's a big body in the pocket.
[ Edited by strickac on Mar 10, 2013 at 5:11 PM ]
Well, we need a back-up QB, so...
Originally posted by JerryRice1848:
Well, we need a back-up QB, so...

no
Would be a great move. Was my favorite qb in the draft at the time and has sat behind tom brady for two years.
Share 49ersWebzone