There are 116 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Salary Cap is a sham

Dallas reportedly was 20 million dollars over the slary cap when the season ended and restructured a few contracts and just franchised Anthony Spencer at over 9 million dollars. Tom Brady restructured his contract and doubled his money to open cap space. Joe Flacco's new deal calls for a 29 million dollar cap hit in 2015 which will never get seen. There are multiple ways to circumvent the salary cap every year. To say the 49ers can't afford this player or this player is a joke. Big money teams just hand over big signing bonuses to lessen the immediate cap hit. Brady received a 30 million dollar signing bonus last week.
Originally posted by SanFranFanfrmVa:
Dallas reportedly was 20 million dollars over the slary cap when the season ended and restructured a few contracts and just franchised Anthony Spencer at over 9 million dollars. Tom Brady restructured his contract and doubled his money to open cap space. Joe Flacco's new deal calls for a 29 million dollar cap hit in 2015 which will never get seen. There are multiple ways to circumvent the salary cap every year. To say the 49ers can't afford this player or this player is a joke. Big money teams just hand over big signing bonuses to lessen the immediate cap hit. Brady received a 30 million dollar signing bonus last week.

There are limits to what you can do to get out of taking a cap hit.
Ok
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JoseCortez:
Ok

amazing post...
Either upset over Goldson not getting the tag Or he's mad we don't trade for Revis and overpay him.
It is. Look at Washington...like every single year. There are ALWAYS ways around it. Remember, we COULD have signed Peyton Manning at 20M+. It's doable...restructure contracts, cut high-prices guys who aren't performing and go younger, etc.
its a SHAM? re sign errrrrrybody to a $120 mil contract
I agree it's seems like a form of cheating..I don't see how teams like Philadelphia can sign a crap load of high price guys no problem ..an we have trouble getting Goldson resigned..does not make much since to me..we need to cheat and restructure some of our guys contracts like other teams do.
Does anyone think this is new?

Thats why I always argue with peeps who say a teams income doesn't mean anything because of the cap. Tell that to Art Modell when they were in Cleveland and actually had to take out a loan from the bank to pay Andre Risons Signing Bonus. Of COURSE it matters.

The good news? The Niners have a new stadium coming so they will have all new revenue streams.

BTW..I MUCH prefer this formula to that of MLB and the NBA. Those guaranteed contracts totally screw you for many, many years. I like signing guys to a huge contract and then being able to cut them when they don't perform.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Mar 5, 2013 at 9:27 AM ]
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Does anyone think this is new?

Thats why I always argue with peeps who say a teams income doesn't mean anything because of the cap. Tell that to Art Modell when they were in Cleveland and actually had to take out a loan from the bank to pay Andre Risons Signing Bonus. Of COURSE it matters.

The good news? The Niners have a new stadium coming so they will have all new revenue streams.

BTW..I MUCH prefer this formula to that of MLB and the NBA. Those guaranteed contracts totally screw you for many, many years. I like signing guys to a huge contract and then being able to cut them when they don't perform.

Agreed!
The salary cap is there for the benefit of the owners at the expense of the players. The NFL has one of the most unfavorable CBAs in pro sports. And one of the key reasons why it is so profitable is how the league can get away with stiffing the players.
The only way to circumvent the cap is to backload deals or give signing bonues (which are prorated for the life of the deal). These are not free and have a cost in the future.
If they can get this done why can't we sign Goldson?.....
as marvin said, this is nothing new.
These teams who are making a bazillion restructures this year to get some cap relief are all gonna back in the same position for years to come until they're put in a position to lose good players.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home