LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 258 users in the forums

Jets willing to trade revis

Shop 49ers game tickets
http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/8875093/darrelle-revis-new-york-jets-shopped-possible-trade-option-according-source
Alex Smith for Revis

DO IT
[ Edited by InconvenienTTruth21 on Jan 23, 2013 at 8:12 PM ]
  • titan
  • Veteran
Alex Smith and Parys Haralson for Revis
http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/8875093/darrelle-revis-new-york-jets-shopped-possible-trade-option-according-source

Pessimistic about his chances of re-signing Darrelle Revis before he becomes a free agent next year, New York Jets owner Woody Johnson is open to trading the star cornerback, a person familiar with Johnson's thinking said Wednesday night.

Revis' contract will void after the 2013 season, and there is a clause in the deal that prohibits the Jets from using the franchise tag.

If they don't sign Revis to an extension, the Jets could lose him as a free agent.

The fact that Revis is just three months removed from major knee surgery complicates the matter. There also are salary-cap ramifications that could hinder a potential trade.

Johnson has "no confidence" in the Jets' ability to re-sign Revis, the person familiar with his thinking said. Despite the knee injury, he could seek more than $16 million per year, which could be prohibitive for the cap-strapped Jets. They're already $19.4 million over the 2013 salary cap.

Revis is due to make $6 million in 2013, including $3 million in base pay and the rest in various bonus money.

The Jets could gauge interest around the league, hoping to receive fair-market value for Revis. But that will be difficult, considering the nature of his injury and his steep contract demands.

I know there's some talk about cutting Rogers, but even if we do that there's no way we bring this guy in at $16M/year. Still, if he signed even a reasonable deal, isn't it worth discussing?
No chance we could get him but damn!!! He would make this D even more dangerous.
He cost too much and we don't have the ample cap space to justify his roster spot.

Plus, he's coming off a serious injury. No thanks, foo.
Sign him
If it doesn't cost us any thing to give to the Jets and he'll play for veteran's minimum, do it. Ain't going to happen.
We have a lot of picks and little roster space for them. I'm definitely interested.
Originally posted by InconvenienTTruth21:
Alex Smith for Revis

DO IT

Originally posted by titan:

The Jets might be crazy enough to actually do it.

We don't have the cap room to accommodate his salary. Plus, he is coming off major surgery. I wouldn't do it because there's a reason why the jets are getting rid of their best player.
Originally posted by pdizo916:
We don't have the cap room to accommodate his salary. Plus, he is coming off major surgery. I wouldn't do it because there's a reason why the jets are getting rid of their best player.

Plenty of great players had acl injuries. Jets are considering it because of their horrible cap issues and the fact they don't think they can resign him as well as have to deal with his agent again
Originally posted by titan:

Hell no. Haralson is so underrated around here it is not even funny. He was a huge reason for our run defense being as dominate as it was last season. He is the only real depth we have at the position and he as sorely missed this season, as aldon seemed to wear don toards the end of the season. A healthy Haralson makes a huge impact for this defense.

Dont want Rexis anyways. I would take what we can get as far as draft picks for AS.
there are a few factors that will affect this decision
-is revis healthy enough?
-how many years are left on his contract?
-is he going to holdout like he was threatening to do at the beginning of the season?
-do we want to deal with a big headed player?

Overall I think revis would be a final piece addition to our defense. Getting rid of alex's contract wont be enough tho and I think we already have too much money tied up in the defense esp. if we resign goldson. I say nay!!! too much risk and too many big contracts. in the next two years we still need to resign Justin smith, aldon, kaepernick, iupati, and crabs....and they will all need big contracts.
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
Plenty of great players had acl injuries. Jets are considering it because of their horrible cap issues and the fact they don't think they can resign him as well as have to deal with his agent again

LOL...and the 49ers have 16 mil a year to hand over to him right?

Not to mention that the guy has a history of holdouts and its no guarantee he plays until he gets a major pay bump. Just more ridiculous speculation that never gets anywhere, file this away in "Not a snowball's chance in hell."
Share 49ersWebzone