LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 302 users in the forums

Possible landing spot for Alex Smith

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by vrabbit:
I've been saying all along KC is the most likely and also best scenario

they can either franchise/resign Albert or draft Joeckel. They so do not need to reach for a QB at #1 overall.

If KC gives us their 3rd that would be a great deal for us.

what do u think about a sign and trade for Bowe with KC???
  • dj43
Originally posted by smithc28:
I can definitely see us getting a good pick in 2014 draft instead of this one because we have 14 picks already and unless there's a couple first round prospects we want to trade up and get I can't see us bothering to get anymore this year.

Most of the extra picks in this draft are 4th round and later. Given the overall strength of the current roster, I would be surprised if any of them make the roster. Best I could see would be packaging some of them to move up a few spots in the 3rd or 4th to get someone who might be a valuable special teamer.

Special teams were a mess this season compared to last. A. MESS.

As to Alex Smith, I see him being used to package a move up high to grab a top level CB or DT/NT. There will be some good choices among those positions that will be available around 12-20 in the first round. Smith plus our #31 should move us up to grab someone there...if there is a trading partner.
  • dj43
Originally posted by suckafree17:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by vrabbit:
I've been saying all along KC is the most likely and also best scenario

they can either franchise/resign Albert or draft Joeckel. They so do not need to reach for a QB at #1 overall.

If KC gives us their 3rd that would be a great deal for us.

what do u think about a sign and trade for Bowe with KC???

You weren't asking me but I don't like Bowe. Too much attitude. Too many turnovers. I can't see him fitting on this team. Lots of talent but too much baggage.
Trade Alex and #31 overall for Revis.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Kronos2560:

no thanks
Originally posted by Kronos2560:

Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by smithc28:
I can definitely see us getting a good pick in 2014 draft instead of this one because we have 14 picks already and unless there's a couple first round prospects we want to trade up and get I can't see us bothering to get anymore this year.

Most of the extra picks in this draft are 4th round and later. Given the overall strength of the current roster, I would be surprised if any of them make the roster. Best I could see would be packaging some of them to move up a few spots in the 3rd or 4th to get someone who might be a valuable special teamer.

Special teams were a mess this season compared to last. A. MESS.

As to Alex Smith, I see him being used to package a move up high to grab a top level CB or DT/NT. There will be some good choices among those positions that will be available around 12-20 in the first round. Smith plus our #31 should move us up to grab someone there...if there is a trading partner.

Pretty sure Smith can't be on the roster by the draft or his entire 2013 salary counts against the cap.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WINiner:
Pretty sure Smith can't be on the roster by the draft or his entire 2013 salary counts against the cap.

You are right.

March 12: 4 p.m. ET, Teams can trade players

March 15 Alex Smith a roster bonus of 1 million due

April 1 Alex Smith due 7.5 million

The trade would most likely have to done between March 12 and March 31.
[ Edited by buck on Feb 10, 2013 at 6:51 PM ]
Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by WINiner:

You are right.

March 12: 4 p.m. ET, Teams can trade players

March 15 Alex Smith a roster bonus of 1 million due

April 1 Alex Smith due 7.5 million

The trade would most likely have to done between March 12 and March 31.

So they can trade him without spending a dime?
They can if it gets done within three days.

Comparing Smith to Flynn and Kolb isn't really a true comparison. I don't think those acquisitions/deals will have anything to do with Alex. Alex has a larger body of work (good and bad) and he's more experienced than both of those guys. Maybe smarter too who knows.

If I were a coach and my choices were Flynn Smith or Kolb...I'd take Smith for a 2-4 year deal and draft a QB to develop.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
We've got to start a feeding frenzy.
[ Edited by mayo49 on Feb 11, 2013 at 1:18 PM ]
i think it will be Buffalo
Part of me thinks we'll trade him to Cleveland because Norv is likely vouching for him. But Michael Lombardi has never been a big Alex Smith fan. Something has to give.
[ Edited by SFrush on Feb 12, 2013 at 4:00 AM ]
my seahawk fan friend thinks the jets will trade revis for flynn lol. theyre more delusional than we are
Share 49ersWebzone