There are 95 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Possible landing spot for Alex Smith

Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Here's some fuel to the fire.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000133549/article/report-49ers-alex-smith-could-join-kansas-city-chiefs

Yea I saw the story on nfl.com where trent dilfer is saying andy reid courted smith last year
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
He's clearly smoking crack. Tebow got traded for a 4th rounder and he can't even throw the ball. I think the actual result will be a 4th rounder that conditionally could become a 2nd or 3rd.

except the broncos had more leverage because tebow wasn't getting a huge roster bonus that would force them to cut Tebow. Also, the Jets aren't interested.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
Originally posted by Paul:
I heard Schefter on PTI yesterday saying the 49ers do want to keep him but salary next season makes it unlikely. He also talked about Smith being traded for a conditional 6th rounder that could move up to a 4th or so depending on his playing time (which was a scenario he just said on the fly)

A conditional 6th???? LOL. Gonna get way more.

Like I said, those who are expecting a 2nd or 3rd round pick is wishful thinking. We can expect a 4th at most, especially if teams know that Smith will be released. Sure you can say that they will trade for him knowing that they can secure his services, but you can expect teams to low-ball the 49ers.

No. Just no. We will get atleat a 3rd value in compensation, whether it is a 3rd or some sort of package involving trades of picks. Im predicting a second round value as compensation. Some of you guys seriously underrate Smiths value in this market.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
I heard Schefter on PTI yesterday saying the 49ers do want to keep him but salary next season makes it unlikely. He also talked about Smith being traded for a conditional 6th rounder that could move up to a 4th or so depending on his playing time (which was a scenario he just said on the fly)

Like I said, those who are expecting a 2nd or 3rd round pick is wishful thinking. We can expect a 4th at most, especially if teams know that Smith will be released. Sure you can say that they will trade for him knowing that they can secure his services, but you can expect teams to low-ball the 49ers.

No. Just no. We will get atleat a 3rd value in compensation, whether it is a 3rd or some sort of package involving trades of picks. Im predicting a second round value as compensation. Some of you guys seriously underrate Smiths value in this market.

I know that Smith is a solid starter in this league, but hes no Peyton Manning, Tom Brady or Drew Brees in other words hes not a house hold name that teams are knocking each other over for. Face it, its reality, even an NFL insider sees his value as a 4th-6th rounder, if he thought the price for Smith would be in the 2nd-3rd round range don't you think he would've said something of the sort??

I know that Smith is a solid starter in this league, but hes no Peyton Manning, Tom Brady or Drew Brees in other words hes not a house hold name that teams are knocking each other over for. Face it, its reality, even an NFL insider sees his value as a 4th-6th rounder, if he thought the price for Smith would be in the 2nd-3rd round range don't you think he would've said something of the sort??

So who can be aquired that is a better option than smith in the second or third round? Hell even in the first? what about FA? AS will be 29, has an extremely favorabe contract, and his play is on an upward trend. Its simple free market economics. Its an extremely favorable market for the niners to get good compensation. Furthermore, i dont beleive that teams are strictly looking at AS as a stop gap QB. I think both KC and the browns could very well look at AS as a long term option for their teams.

Maybe. I think he was analyzing the situation from a purely business standpoint. He knows were going to cut Smith and he doesn't believe we have a whole lot of leverage in the situation so he's undervaluing Alex but he's from the outside looking in. I think there's at least one team out their that is willing to guarantee they get Alex and that he doesn't hit the market.
so that means that the great tolzien would be our back up next year?
Originally posted by pdizo916:
so that means that the great tolzien would be our back up next year?

Plenty capable in the backup role. Lots of people wanted Johnson as the backup, and Tolien out played him. I feel Tolzien will be a very capable long term backup, and depending on what he shows in preseason, may draw trade offers in the future.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

So who can be aquired that is a better option than smith in the second or third round? Hell even in the first? what about FA? AS will be 29, has an extremely favorabe contract, and his play is on an upward trend. Its simple free market economics. Its an extremely favorable market for the niners to get good compensation. Furthermore, i dont beleive that teams are strictly looking at AS as a stop gap QB. I think both KC and the browns could very well look at AS as a long term option for their teams.

Its not who I believe is a much better option than Smith, its what the teams out there think. Who's to say teams don't think there are better options out there in the draft than us homers?? Its just that if you've paid attention to NFL trades you'd know that only house hold names go for 1st or 2nd round picks, or even 3rd. Shoot, Pro Bowl CB Asante Samuel went for a 7th round pick to the Falcons and Smith isn't even a Pro Bowl QB. And Alex Smith being released and getting nothing in return for him is still highly possible, which will also be a factor. I mean, trust me I'd love to be proven wrong, it only betters us.
I don't think that people are underrating his value. I think that people are trying to judge his worth in a vacuum, and glossing over the fact that he WILL be cut if he isn't traded. This is not a minor thing, it has monumental relevance, and it is going to severely hinder his trade value. This is not just a matter of, "how good is Alex Smith, how much is he worth in trade?" It's a matter of, "how good is Alex Smith, and how much is his current contract going to entice teams to trade for him instead of just acquiring him in free agency two weeks later?"
Alex Smith to the Eagles to run Chip Kelley's triple option spread as he did in Utah. You heard it here first.
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
Alex Smith to the Eagles to run Chip Kelley's triple option spread as he did in Utah. You heard it here first.

I have been saying Philly for months, your not the first. I now think KC or Browns are more likely, but philly is still in the mix.
Originally posted by eonblue:

Maybe. I think he was analyzing the situation from a purely business standpoint. He knows were going to cut Smith and he doesn't believe we have a whole lot of leverage in the situation so he's undervaluing Alex but he's from the outside looking in. I think there's at least one team out their that is willing to guarantee they get Alex and that he doesn't hit the market.

Right now there is a need for a good dependable QB; a good passing QB who does protect the ball, is intelligent and a team player. However, I think that people are looking at the fact that Alex will be the 9ers throw-away; (I hate that statement, I really do.)

Also, most commentators are "labeling Alex as a placeholder / manager until a rookie QB is trained.

These immeasurable things are items that teams are considering when thinking about Alex. To be sure, his value is damaged because of that perception, not because of his past playing record or his future potential. I don't like it, but that is the way it is.

The opinion of an NFL "insider" is just that; an opinion, and we don't know on what he is basing his opinion. In this case, the Kolb and Flynn deals will still play a large part in setting the price. The fact that neither of those guys lived up to the price only makes Smith that much more valuable. Smith has had a longer record of success than both of those other guys combined. And, let's not forget, Smith had 6 very good games under Singletary/Mike Johnson before Harbaugh ever arrived here. Alex Smith's agent will not forget that and you can be sure that every GM will remember it as well. If they do forget, Trent Baalke will be there to remind them. All this talk about Jim Harbaugh making Alex Smith a good QB is over-stating the case.

Personally, I would like to see the 49ers just release Smith as a show of gratitude for his loyalty. However, the only way I see that happening is he agrees not to sign with Arizona, and I cannot see Alex Smith agreeing to that. However, reality is that the 49ers are going to want to get some value for Smith and that means they will seek to trade him to the highest bidder. Since all the QB needy teams realize there is no fix in the draft, and that an FA bidding war for Smith will quickly exceed his current salary, one or several of those teams will jump in quickly to make a deal early before the price gets too high.

I could see Cleveland or KC switching 2nd round picks with the 49ers in exchange for Alex Smith, straight up. Either of those teams solve their QB problems immediately and the 49ers get a pick that should yield a player that will be a starter by the beginning of the 2014 season. Ideally that would be the future replacement for Justin Smith. Some kind of a package deal like that is how I see this deal playing out.
Jay Cutler was traded to the Chicago Bears along with a fifth-round pick in the 2009 NFL Draft. Broncos received QB Kyle Orton, the Bears' first and third-round selections in 2009, and the Bears' first-round pick in 2010. And there are rumors out of Chicago the Bears may be bidders on AS. Can't blame them right now AS is a better QB than Cutler.

Matt Cassel was traded to KC for a 34th overall pick. Cassel had played 1 full season with the Pats when Brady was injured.

Matt Schaub also a career backup who had never taken Atlanta to an NFCCG was traded to the Houston Texans for second round picks in 2007 and 2008 the teams also swapped first round picks in 2007, exchanging the Falcons' 10th pick with the Texans' 8th pick.