There are 127 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

jimmy johnson says marc trestman to be next bears coach

Trestman has been incredible in the CFL. He has 2 rings I believe, and his teams have been at the top of the league since he got here. He will probably have some interesting schemes coming from the CFL as well which would be intriguing.
Originally posted by jimmythegreekjr:
Sunday, August 17, 1997Story last updated at 11:05 p.m. on Saturday, August 16, 1997

Rice happy Trestman, style gone

By John Oehser

Times-Union sports writer

The words came at a news conference in January announcing a new head coach of the San Francisco 49ers. A reporter asked owner Eddie DeBartolo about Marc Trestman.

''He's gone,'' DeBartolo replied.

And somewhere, Jerry Rice smiled. Real, real big.

Because if there was anything Rice - the NFL's best wide receiver ever - wanted to hear this past off-season, it was that Trestman - Rice's least favorite offensive coordinator ever - was to be out of a job.

And now, as Rice enters a 13th NFL season, he says he feels more optimistic now than in a long while, particularly than the end of last year.

The absence of Trestman is the reason.

Not that Rice, who holds every major receiving record in NFL history, hated Trestman. It's just he hated the things Trestman made him do:

Run 2-yard crossing routes.

Take a physical beating.

And eventually, even consider retirement.

''That was a nightmare for me,'' said Rice, who caught 108 passes last season, but for ''only'' eight touchdowns and 1,254 yards, an 11.6-yards-per-reception average, 4 yards below his career average

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

That was over 15 years ago, I am sure Marc Trestman has learned a lot and improved.


Rice and Trestman more than made up when he was with the Raiders. As much as Rice may have been upset, he had his career best year with Trestman calling the plays.


Where Trestman got screwed was the 49ers total lack of a viable running game. Debartolo fired Trestman when he should have been sacking his front office for not finding someone besides Loville to replace Ricky Watters. 3 yards a carry just doesn't get it done.
Originally posted by boast:
there are many "hot" coordinators left.

Not really, especially for what the Bears are looking for. You've got generic coordinators like McCoy who somehow managed to coach up that average journeyman quarterback Peyton Manning into a dependable player.....then you have Jay Gruden, retreads like Whisenhunt...etc.


The cupboard is pretty bare at the moment and in comparison to those guys, Trestman is an absolute star.
Looking at this from an offensive perspective, this would be a solid hire for them. They need someone that can find some consistency out of Jay Cutler and some actual production out of someone not name Brandon Marshall or Matt Forte. Trestman has a solid pedigree in that just about everywhere he's gone has produced one of the better offenses in the league. He has been highly succesful as a head coach in the CFL. I know its a far cry from the NFL but just like these college head coaches jumping to the NFL level, he has shown that he can win on some other level. I think this guy has earned his opportunity.
Originally posted by Black24Razor:
The Bears should hire Denver OC and San Marin High (Novato) grad Mike McCoy.

i cant believe the Denver OC hasnt gotten hired, i mean if you can win a playoff game against one of the best defenses with tebow at QB...you sir are pretty great! plus he has been doing wonders with peyton at QB but hey im sure Peyton can make alot of OCs look like geniuses
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 12,788
Adam Hoge ‏@AdamHogeCBS

RT @JimmyJohnson: I tweeted this morning "It LOOKS like 2 of my guys were getting NFL jobs not that Trestman got it!
Originally posted by Jcool:
Quote:
Sean Jensen ‏@seankjensen

S-T Blog: No validity to Jimmy Johnson's Twitter post about Marc Trestman as #Bears coach. Search continues... http://bit.ly/VQj3ZQ

What a joke. They fire Lovie after a 10 win season and are going to end up with Marc Trestman? I would be upset if I were a bears fan.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by boast:
there are many "hot" coordinators left.

Not really, especially for what the Bears are looking for. You've got generic coordinators like McCoy who somehow managed to coach up that average journeyman quarterback Peyton Manning into a dependable player.....then you have Jay Gruden, retreads like Whisenhunt...etc.


The cupboard is pretty bare at the moment and in comparison to those guys, Trestman is an absolute star.


Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by jimmythegreekjr:
Sunday, August 17, 1997Story last updated at 11:05 p.m. on Saturday, August 16, 1997

Rice happy Trestman, style gone

By John Oehser

Times-Union sports writer

The words came at a news conference in January announcing a new head coach of the San Francisco 49ers. A reporter asked owner Eddie DeBartolo about Marc Trestman.

''He's gone,'' DeBartolo replied.

And somewhere, Jerry Rice smiled. Real, real big.

Because if there was anything Rice - the NFL's best wide receiver ever - wanted to hear this past off-season, it was that Trestman - Rice's least favorite offensive coordinator ever - was to be out of a job.

And now, as Rice enters a 13th NFL season, he says he feels more optimistic now than in a long while, particularly than the end of last year.

The absence of Trestman is the reason.

Not that Rice, who holds every major receiving record in NFL history, hated Trestman. It's just he hated the things Trestman made him do:

Run 2-yard crossing routes.

Take a physical beating.

And eventually, even consider retirement.

''That was a nightmare for me,'' said Rice, who caught 108 passes last season, but for ''only'' eight touchdowns and 1,254 yards, an 11.6-yards-per-reception average, 4 yards below his career average

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

That was over 15 years ago, I am sure Marc Trestman has learned a lot and improved.


Rice and Trestman more than made up when he was with the Raiders. As much as Rice may have been upset, he had his career best year with Trestman calling the plays.


Where Trestman got screwed was the 49ers total lack of a viable running game. Debartolo fired Trestman when he should have been sacking his front office for not finding someone besides Loville to replace Ricky Watters. 3 yards a carry just doesn't get it done.

Yea. That was a Barlow type situation in the backfield.
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
Yea. That was a Barlow type situation in the backfield.

I still have nightmares about Adam Walker with a cast on his arm in the playoffs...........
Originally posted by Black24Razor:
The Bears should hire Denver OC and San Marin High (Novato) grad Mike McCoy.

I went to San Marin lol
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
Yea. That was a Barlow type situation in the backfield.

I still have nightmares about Adam Walker with a cast on his arm in the playoffs...........

...and he was called for holding.
Good call Phoenix on the Adam Walker horror.

I thought that was one of the worst and stupidest decisions Siefert ever made. Anoter was giving it to Roger Craig against the Giants when he should have given the ball to Rathman.

I know, Spilt Milk.