There are 128 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Bills have reached an agreement with #Syracuse coach Doug Marrone

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet Recap: #Bills have reached an agreement with #Syracuse coach Doug Marrone to be their coach. What does this mean for Chip Kelly? #Staytuned Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter Filed to ESPN: Doug Marrone has agreed to leave Syracuse and become the next head coach of the Buffalo Bills.
[ Edited by hungarian9erfan on Jan 6, 2013 at 3:08 AM ]
I like that for the bills. He's a good fit.
Sort of a local hire... Wonder if he is bringing a lot of his current staff with him.
Don't know anything about this guy but does Alex Smith fit his offense? Just trying to see if that rumor is closer to becoming reality that Buffalo was interviewing coaches, telling them Alex was going to be in the plans.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
YardsPerPass.com ‏@YardsPerPass
@smartfootball Marrone worked with both father and son of Hackett family. Interesting to see if he keeps the uptempo stuff he used this year

Smart Football ‏@smartfootball
@YardsPerPass Nathaniel Hackett put lot of it in, will be very interesting. Marrone/Hackett said really studied Oregon/Kelly last offseason
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
ESPN Stats & Info ‏@ESPNStatsInfo

In Doug Marrone's 3 seasons as Saints offensive coordinator (2006-08), the team averaged 26.1 PPG (3rd-most in NFL) #BuffaloBills
Originally posted by EezyNiner:
Don't know anything about this guy but does Alex Smith fit his offense? Just trying to see if that rumor is closer to becoming reality that Buffalo was interviewing coaches, telling them Alex was going to be in the plans.

His NFL experience he is known for is Bree's early years in New Orleans
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
Originally posted by EezyNiner:

His NFL experience he is known for is Bree's early years in New Orleans

and his 1st year there was bolstered by the last 1000 rushing yard season by a single RB.
  • Paul
  • Veteran
Solid hire... I live in Syracuse, the 4 years before Marrone was hired they won 10 games... 4 years since 25 wins (including 2 bowls). I know some are bashing this move, but he has a ton of NFL experience & did a great job in Syracuse (they beat several top 25 teams the past 2 seasons). I'm interested to see what his staff is going to be composed of and what he does at QB, but with the AFC east being very meh asides from the Pats... the Bills aren't so far off as people think.
THIS is why buffalo is bad....
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Paul:
Solid hire... I live in Syracuse, the 4 years before Marrone was hired they won 10 games... 4 years since 25 wins (including 2 bowls). I know some are bashing this move, but he has a ton of NFL experience & did a great job in Syracuse (they beat several top 25 teams the past 2 seasons). I'm interested to see what his staff is going to be composed of and what he does at QB, but with the AFC east being very meh asides from the Pats... the Bills aren't so far off as people think.

My opinion is Buffalo is going to be the team to move to LA in 7-10 years. All of the media keeps talking that when Wilson dies they will sell the team, couple that with the new lease signed that after 7 years gives the Bills a window to leave without penalty and you've got one hell of an opportunity for a new ownership group to swoop in when the 94 year old Wilson dies, not being callous but if he makes it another 3 years I'd be shocked. New owner comes in around 2014-2015, can start a project out in LA and be on a similar timetable as our SC stadium, with an emergency backup plan to play at one of the various college stadiums in LA for a season.

So I kind view the next few years in Buffalo as nothing more then a "training ground" of sorts for employees of the franchise, give them opportunity to excel and be hired elsewhere before they sell the team and the new owner brings in "his guys".

All of this is incredibly ridiculous speculation on my part but with media reporting that they plan on selling the team after Ralph Wilson's death then I don't expect them to be in Buffalo in 7 years let alone 10.

So I wasn't expecting a splashy hire at all. Marrone seems like a decent hire but it just reinforces my opinion that football in Buffalo is a "dead man walking"
[ Edited by sfout on Jan 6, 2013 at 3:55 PM ]
  • Paul
  • Veteran
It would suck to see them move (and I doubt that Buffalo would get another NFL team), but it makes sense in a way... a desperate owner, a team giving away home games to Canada each season.... going to be interesting to see what happens.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Paul:
It would suck to see them move (and I doubt that Buffalo would get another NFL team), but it makes sense in a way... a desperate owner, a team giving away home games to Canada each season.... going to be interesting to see what happens.

Yea its way sad because it looks like Buffalo has die hard fans. To make the undoubtedly f**ked up transition period easier should a new owner announce a pending move they could sign up for games in London as well. Playing 2+ home games a year in Canada and England would lessen the financial hit they'd take when fans stopped going to games.
[ Edited by sfout on Jan 6, 2013 at 4:40 PM ]
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer

Buffalo Bills/Doug Marrone presser live on NFL Network now.
Bills gon' Bill