There are 89 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Report: Browns restart search without Kelly - Kelly to stay at Oregon

• sfout
  • Veteran
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/06/chip-kelly-stays-at-oregon/

Perhaps the biggest move of the coaching hiring cycle is the one that wasn't made.

Per multiple reports, Oregon coach Chip Kelly is staying in Oregon.

The move comes a day after Kelly spent multiple hours meeting with the Eagles, and two days after he reportedly was close to becoming the next coach of the Browns.

It's the second straight year that Kelly nearly has left Oregon for the NFL, and the question becomes whether the NFL opportunity will keep knocking. At some point, NFL teams won't waste their time trying to hire him.

At some point, Kelly's Favre-ish indecision could impact recruiting in a negative way. For now, Kelly's choice to stay in Oregon will surely help seal the deal for the coming class who will be able to sign their letters of intent early next month.
[ Edited by sfout on Jan 6, 2013 at 8:08 PM ]
Brian Kelly?
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JerryRice1848:
Brian Kelly?

LOL. I had Brian Kelly copied and stored and hit C+V without looking. But Chip Kelly not Brian
I don't know what it is about Cleveland, but it seems to have been a dead zone, going back to the old Cleveland Browns for the last 20 years. Good luck to Chip.

I'm curious to see who Arizona gets now.

Biggest shock would be if they inquired about Greg Roman. I hear they are interested in Lovie, who deserves another job, but it wouldn't do much to fix that offense.
Best candidate out there.
would've rather stayed at Oregon
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Smart Football ‏@smartfootball

Chip Kelly: "We are not a Tim Tebow type of quarterback team. I am not going to run my QB 20 times on power runs."
http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8631595/the-success-chip-kelly-oregon-ducks-offense-more-familiar-seems
horrible fit with Weeden, and is honestly not that great of a fit for Richardson either, I've hated this scenario since it was rumored, will be yet another fail for Cleveland
[ Edited by vrabbit on Jan 4, 2013 at 3:33 PM ]
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
I don't know what it is about Cleveland, but it seems to have been a dead zone, going back to the old Cleveland Browns for the last 20 years. Good luck to Chip.

I'm curious to see who Arizona gets now.

Biggest shock would be if they inquired about Greg Roman. I hear they are interested in Lovie, who deserves another job, but it wouldn't do much to fix that offense.

It'll go to Lovie or stay in house for Ray Horton, they're "expected" to stay in house for their GM and promote Steve Keim. If Keim and Horton work together then I dont see them going out of their way.

The dominos are falling though thats for sure. With Kelly going to Browns I'm very intrigued to see if he'll be HC and OC or if he'll bring an Oregon assistant with him, which is unlikely because the current Oregon OC is expected to become their HC if/when Kelly leaves.
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:

Sorta sounds like he has the specter of sanctions floating around. Gotta do the decent thing and bolt for the NFL while leaving your players holding the bag.
f**k this s**t
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BubbaParisMVP:
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:

Sorta sounds like he has the specter of sanctions floating around. Gotta do the decent thing and bolt for the NFL while leaving your players holding the bag.

That trash about the 3rd party scout wont be anything as serious as the situation that Carroll left behind at USC. Probably a hefty fine but a bowl ban longer then 1 season? Very, very unlikely. Also USC is right back in the spotlight of the NCAA investigation after NBC Nightline or whatever found out USC and many other schools gave players pre-game injections of Toradal.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OregonDuckNiner:
f**k this s**t

Not happy ODN? As a more local Duck fan, what have you heard about Kelly leaving or why?
I love seeing more Chip's in the NFL
Eric Galko from Optimum Scouting killing it right now on twitter with observations should this move happen

After Geno, best Chip QB fit. RT @AlexMiglio: Sneaking suspicion Alex Smith will be Brown next year,going to look good in Chip Kelly offense

With Chip Kelly now with #Browns, I think Alex Smith #1, Geno Smith #2 his top QB options. Think Colt McCoy could work as backup option too.

What Chip wants in QB (based off Oregon Off): Decisive, short-area quicks,ball placement in mid-field/seam throws. Doesn't NEED speed (Vick)