There are 84 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Bills targeting QB Alex Smith?

one of the QB starved teams will give up a 2nd, I just know it. Smith is consistent, tough and still young.
Originally posted by mcbaes72:
Originally posted by Chief:
We don't have to trade Alex, he is great insurance and an awesome 49er.

Thank you, most I've read wanna trade him away just to get something in return which makes sense. But very little believe AS will restructure his contract and stay as a back up. As we've seen this year, one big hit and the back up QB jumps right in. I'm not sold on Tolzien yet.

I think the reason why you have not seen many people believing he will stay because Alex has not really embraced the backup role. He believes he should be starting. If its not here than for another team. It would be nice to keep him but reality is that is highly unlikely because of his age, he is a solid qb, and QB options in FA and the draft are limited this year.It makes sense to trade him if the right offer comes along. It saves us cap room and helps us sign other key players.
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by NinerG94:
I keep reading about all the trade possibilities for Alex Smith, but why in the world would any team trade for him when they know we have to release him? Every team in the league knows we are cap strapped and that the 49ers are NOT going to pick up his 9 mil salary. They will wait until he's released. He's not so good that teams can't afford to take the chance on him signing elsewhere.

One more time. If we cut him, teams have to compete against other qb hungry teams. There are very limited options for teams wanting to upgrade this year, the draft looks unimpressive at this position as does FA.

If we had a real need for a qb, would you want us to go and get the one genuine prospect, or wait until he was cut then join in the scramble for him?

The decision is a little tougher now though. Teams don't need to decide whether they should take the unproven expensive rookie high in the draft over a proven veteran for the same price. Now, they can take the rookie at a lower risk. I think we rarely see teams giving up the early pick unless they get a lot of value in return. The teams trading down are not only paying for the pick, but they are also paying for the lower financial risk of that pick.
The way Kaep plays he's likely to get hurt at some point so the backup QB is key for the niners success once Smith leaves. We are focused on where Smith will go but the bigger issue is who will be the backup to Kaep.
Originally posted by taney71:
The way Kaep plays he's likely to get hurt at some point so the backup QB is key for the niners success once Smith leaves. We are focused on where Smith will go but the bigger issue is who will be the backup to Kaep.

King God Tolz
Think of it this way : Look what the Raiders traded for Carson Palmer. I think we AT LEAST get a 2nd for Alex.

How does he play? I mean, he's not spinning his back into defenders running full speed at him. Kaep is also built big and strong which means DB's are usually taking the hit more than Kaep is. LB's now is another story.

s**t...knock on wood.
Originally posted by Joecool:

How does he play? I mean, he's not spinning his back into defenders running full speed at him. Kaep is also built big and strong which means DB's are usually taking the hit more than Kaep is. LB's now is another story.

s**t...knock on wood.
I kind of agree with Taney on this one Joe. The backup is going to be an important role. I like what I seen from Tolzien but I think we may see Josh Johnson resigned as Kaeps backup if he is available (johnson signed with browns on 12/26, dont know the length of the contract).Tolzien and Johnson would probably compete in camp for the job if Johnson is signed.
I think Kaeps running is going to expose him to more hits and the potential for injury. He is big and strong and a long strider when he runs but rarely does a running QB go throughout the year without an injury.
[ Edited by E-49er on Jan 4, 2013 at 9:16 AM ]
Alex smith for CJ Spiller straight up! Gore is running out of time.
seems CK is turning into a pocket passer anyway. he'll be fine.
Originally posted by E-49er:
Originally posted by mcbaes72:
Originally posted by Chief:
We don't have to trade Alex, he is great insurance and an awesome 49er.

Thank you, most I've read wanna trade him away just to get something in return which makes sense. But very little believe AS will restructure his contract and stay as a back up. As we've seen this year, one big hit and the back up QB jumps right in. I'm not sold on Tolzien yet.

I think the reason why you have not seen many people believing he will stay because Alex has not really embraced the backup role. He believes he should be starting. If its not here than for another team. It would be nice to keep him but reality is that is highly unlikely because of his age, he is a solid qb, and QB options in FA and the draft are limited this year.It makes sense to trade him if the right offer comes along. It saves us cap room and helps us sign other key players.

Well said, hope he changes his mind, but most likely you're correct.
It is rumored that the Bills are interested in pursuing Chip Kelly for their HC position. If Bills acquire Kelly than Alex Smith will not be the best fit for them. Lets hope that the Bills interest in Alex Smith is genuine. All it takes is more than one team to make an offer for him and we have ourselves a sellers market.....

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8812315/nfl-best-nfl-head-coaching-fits-oregon-chip-kelly
I would wait to see how Kaepernick performs under playoff pressure before I'd trade Smith. Just sayin'.
One overlooked fact in all of this is how last year the Cleveland Browns used a 1st round draft pick on a 28 year old rookie QB. I don't expect Smith to net a first rounder, even if we swap picks with a QB needy team, but I don't think a 2nd rounder is completely unreasonable. QB starved teams do desperate things and in a QB starved draft where the 49ers have one of the steaks, we might get more than we would've gotten if we were in this same situation the last two offseasons.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Alex Smith
49ers 1st round pick
49ers 3rd round pick
49ers 6th round pick

Buffalo 1st round pick
Buffalo 3rd round pick

Make it happen.

Masterfully done. I would welcolme dat pronto !!!, And we already have an extra 3rd too. If not a 1st rd. pick swap, then dey gotta throw in a player we can use. i like der harvard QB as a backup to Kaep..
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home