There are 89 users in the forums

Bills targeting QB Alex Smith?

Shop 49ers game tickets
I can see Buffalo and KC biting on Alex. 3rd rd pick would be perfect, have 4 3rds, turn one into a 2nd and another into a 2014 2nd.

We aren't keeping alex at $9.75 Million, not happening, like EezyNiner said we have little cap room, we need to sign draftees, and plus have FAs of our own like Goldson, Sopoaga, Moss, RJF, Delanie, Grant, and Gooden to decide on.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
I can see Buffalo and KC biting on Alex. 3rd rd pick would be perfect, have 4 3rds, turn one into a 2nd and another into a 2014 2nd.

We aren't keeping alex at $9.75 Million, not happening, like EezyNiner said we have little cap room, we need to sign draftees, and plus have FAs of our own like Goldson, Sopoaga, Moss, RJF, Delanie, Grant, and Gooden to decide on.

How much would we save on cutting or trading Alex Smith, AB??

but if teams KNOWS that we're getting rid of alex, why would teams dangle anything worth of value to acquire his services?
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by pdizo916:

but if teams KNOWS that we're getting rid of alex, why would teams dangle anything worth of value to acquire his services?

Well I think Baalke would work the phones before letting teams know he will release him.

If they really want him they will pay a 3rd I think. Otherwise they will have to battle the other teams in free agency for his services.

It is very simple...you trade for him and you have a starting QB...guaranteed. Don't forget Alex has a very reasonable contract for the next year or two as well. Your cost to make this trade is a draft pick.

You don't trade for him then you roll the dice and gamble that you can win him in FA when competing with many other teams. You also have to pay whatever his new contract ends up being.

If I am Buffalo I don't risk missing out on a potential key piece of my franchise. Buffalo isn't exactly a FA paradise.
[ Edited by Tigerlaw on Jan 3, 2013 at 7:50 PM ]
Originally posted by Kolohe:

How much would we save on cutting or trading Alex Smith, AB??

Between $8.75 million and the full $9.75 million depending on the trade date, the whole new league year term is the thing I hate, because we dont know it yet. You can't actually trade a player until the new league year begins, once that does, than I expect the team to shop Alex, and a deal needs to happen quick, so we can decide on the free agents, or any incoming guys. We should be seeing an extra $2.5 million from Brooks' clause of not reaching the voids and escalators. Plus some other credits, possibly a $1.25 million credit from Alex not reaching his Likely to be Earned incentives.

Right now I have us, with potential decreases and credits around $6 million under the cap for 2013, that will rise if we finally do a new deal for Justin Smith and Donte Whitner, plus cuts/trades of Alex, Goodwin, Akers and Haralson.
Originally posted by susweel:
He cant play in that cold weather and his arm is not strong enough for those elements.

good inside info , alex is very worried about his future ,he's not sure whats goin to happen to him, close friends say .
Awkward moment when ESPN says Bills, Cards and Eagles are trying to get McCoy. I wouldn't mind if Alex stayed another year. If nobody trades for him I wouldn't do anybody a favor by cutting him. Somebody will give something for him, he can start for several teams in the NFL.
[ Edited by fister30 on Jan 3, 2013 at 9:07 PM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by PTulini:
The Buffalo Bills looking hard at QB Alex Smith? According to NFL Network's Ian Rapoport, that's apparently part of the discussions they've had with candidates while interviewing for a new HC. Papoport mentioned it today while discussing Ken Whisenhunt interviewing with the Bills.

As long as they we're willing to give up a 3rd or 4th round pick for him, I'm all for it.

or Spiller or Johnson

Back from the BAN Baby!!!!!!
[ Edited by D-NOTTE on Jan 3, 2013 at 9:29 PM ]

Alex for trading places in the first round and a 5th round pick. I'd do it.
Can you imagine the picks we would get for him ? The wonders..........
I think we would have to take Fitzpatrick.
With the lack of QB on the market, and the poor draft class, i could see us getting a 2nd rounder for Alex. Hes still pretty young, and hes polished. Theres a bunch of QB needy teams.
If Buffalo does acquire him, then they need an offensive guru to help Alex along. I cannot imagine Alex playing well with a defensive minded coach. Someone like Andy Reid (even though he may be kc bound) may do wonders for that God forsaken franchise.

he could end up reunited with Norv.....

Back from the BAN Baby!!!!!!
Share 49ersWebzone