There are 198 users in the forums

Is the 30 something drop back quarterback a thing of the past in the NFL?

Shop 49ers game tickets
High Schools and Colleges have gone to the spread offense. The QB must be mobile and do a fair amount of running. In the past few years it has caught on in the pros. End rushers are stuck in their tracks with the option run by todays quarterbacks. Witness Demarcus Ware against RG3. Will the abundance of spread quarterbacks take over the NFL and will the drop back passer be a thing of the past. With a major premium being placed on mobility is the day of the pocket passer in decline.
No. Peyton Manning and Tom Brady are doing just fine. Look at their seed.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

But are they dinosaurs.
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
High Schools and Colleges have gone to the spread offense. The QB must be mobile and do a fair amount of running. In the past few years it has caught on in the pros. End rushers are stuck in their tracks with the option run by todays quarterbacks. Witness Demarcus Ware against RG3. Will the abundance of spread quarterbacks take over the NFL and will the drop back passer be a thing of the past. With a major premium being placed on mobility is the day of the pocket passer in decline.

Manning bros and Brady aren't mobile at all yet they are one of the top qbs. I don't think it is essential to have a mobile but we are witnessing an evolution to the passing game. 5 years ago, the only mobile qb you really thought of is vick. Now we got rg3, wilson, kap, etc. Luck is considered a pocket passer yet he is athletic enough to be a receiver. Mobile isn't essential but we will see more mobile qbs as the years go by.
Originally posted by RishikeshA:

But are they dinosaurs.

Look pretty good to me and they have been to plenty of Super Bowls. 1 of them may make it this year. IMO a pocket QB is still the best. Runners get beat up like RG3. He's going to get anniliated if he keeps running like that.
Look pretty good to me and they have been to plenty of Super Bowls. 1 of them may make it this year. IMO a pocket QB is still the best. Runners get beat up like RG3. He's going to get anniliated if he keeps running like that.

The fact I haven't stated is that the style of the drop back passer is no longer being taught. Brady and Manning were taught their craft from the time they first touched a ball. The kids today are being taught the spread and option in their formative years. These young quarterbacks give the offenses more options. After watching RG3, Russell Wilson, Kaep, Cam, how do you defend them?

NE is basically a spread offense. Brady plays out of the shotgun all time time.

Peyton is just the best QB to ever play the game. With all the audibles he makes, playing under center works to his advantage.
Whatever wins will be in. If we win the Super Bowl, you will see even more teams emphasizing the run more.
  • Geeked
  • Veteran
I honestly believe it is easier for a mobile QB to succeed at a younger age (i.e. less experienced) or if they are playing in a less organized offense.

Being able to move allows a QB to take a little bit longer with their decision making.

The main concern I have with this is; will Kaep be able to speed up his reads as he receives more starts. Or will he always need to hold onto the ball a little longer and spend more time in pre-snap reads.

I can already see issues with Russel Wilson and RGIII that will be more pronounced next year. Some of these issues are also present in Kaep.
Originally posted by Geeked:
I honestly believe it is easier for a mobile QB to succeed at a younger age (i.e. less experienced) or if they are playing in a less organized offense.

Being able to move allows a QB to take a little bit longer with their decision making.

The main concern I have with this is; will Kaep be able to speed up his reads as he receives more starts. Or will he always need to hold onto the ball a little longer and spend more time in pre-snap reads.

I can already see issues with Russel Wilson and RGIII that will be more pronounced next year. Some of these issues are also present in Kaep.

That's what I wonder too. It is working now, but when defenses start to adapt, I do not know how well their passing abilities will translate. For as good as Wilson is at scrambling and finding the open receiver, I still do not think he has a very strong arm. There are times when that ball is in the air that I am shocked it doesnt get picked because it just hangs up there. Reminds me of Christian Ponder a little bit.

I guess only time will tell if this starts to take over. Most QBs coming out of college are not in the Brady/Manning mold anymore.

Share 49ersWebzone