There are 82 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Michael Vick gets overrated beyond belief

This guy gets and has gotten more undeserved hype than any other player in recent memory IMO. Even now people are hyping up where he's going to go like he's going to be a major difference-maker. In his younger days he got by due to his insane athleticism, he was never a dominant passer at anytime, and now that he's lost a step, he's simply a mobile quarterback with less than average accuracy and a penchant for turning the ball over.

The best season of his entire career passing-wise was 2010. He threw for 3000 yards, 21 touchdowns and 6 interceptions...essentially in the realm of "game-manager" stats. In other seasons he had substantially more turnovers. His career completion percentage is 56.3%.

I just don't get the hype, he had a monster season in 2006 where he ran for over 1000 yards, but then his passing stats were garbage. As a GM, I'd much rather invest in a younger, more reliable, less turnover prone Alex who may not have as much big play potential, but he'll produce essentially similar amount of passing yards with less interceptions and a better completion percentage.
  • vaden
  • Veteran
Said before that I won't be surprised if Vick commands more interest and money in FA than Alex. It's crazy but that's how much hype Vick still benefits from and how little credit Alex is given for what he's accomplished and all the growth he's shown through ridiculous adversity.
If Vick ever had an above average receiving core, or an O line that actually blocked he would be a savage. He could have been a great qb in this league, he just never I repeat never had the weapons. No run game, no receiving core, no O line. I dont think he is overrated. Romo on the other hand.

I always think of the above play when I hear Vick... that was 10 YEARS AGO! WOW! Dude had heaps of potential pre-dogfighting days as the first hyper-mobile QB, but probably lucked out with sh*tty coaches. Post dogfighting he's just been a Tebow-esque sideshow... the next gen hyper-mobile QB's Newton/RG3/Kaep, are simply better. Evolution is a b*tch.
Originally posted by Milkman:

I always think of the above play when I hear Vick... that was 10 YEARS AGO! WOW! Dude had heaps of potential pre-dogfighting days as the first hyper-mobile QB, but probably lucked out with sh*tty coaches. Post dogfighting he's just been a Tebow-esque sideshow... the next gen hyper-mobile QB's Newton/RG3/Kaep, are simply better. Evolution is a b*tch.

comparing Vick to Tebow?
Originally posted by 49rz4Life:
If Vick ever had an above average receiving core, or an O line that actually blocked he would be a savage. He could have been a great qb in this league, he just never I repeat never had the weapons. No run game, no receiving core, no O line. I dont think he is overrated. Romo on the other hand.

LeSean McCoy, DeSean Jackson, Jeremy MacLin. He has had plenty to work with if you want to compare with Alex. Vicks problem is he is not a student of the game. Can't consistently read defenses and relies too much on the big play.

comparing Vick to Tebow?

I was more referring to media frenzy that both players create... but you could easily argue the similarities of their clear running strengths creating a tolerance of their "quarterback" shortcomings. That said Vick is still clearly the better passer of the two.
[ Edited by Milkman on Dec 21, 2012 at 10:34 PM ]
Originally posted by SportsFan:

LeSean McCoy, DeSean Jackson, Jeremy MacLin. He has had plenty to work with if you want to compare with Alex. Vicks problem is he is not a student of the game. Can't consistently read defenses and relies too much on the big play.

You and I both know Maclin is not at all a number one receiver or even a 2. Where is his at least average TE? His line is a joke. He has had PLENTY to work with ? Really ? compared to Alex ? He needs more than just a shifty slot guy and good RB. If Vick had better coaching and weapons he wouldn't have any doubters. He and Alex both had similar situations only difference here is that Vick isn't gonna get 8 years to get those weapons placed at his disposal like Alex.

comparing Vick to Tebow?

I was more referring to media frenzy that both players create... but you could easily argue the similarities of their clear running strengths creating a tolerance of their "quarterback" shortcomings. That said Vick is still clearly the better passer of the two.

I hear you. Vick still has a chance to prove himself only problem is finding a team with weapons for him to use.
  • teeohh
  • Veteran

Anyone see that and think kap could have done it with half the strides

comparing Vick to Tebow?

seriously. vick brings everything on himself, tebow by all accounts seems like a humble guy, the media is what turned tebow into a side show. i kinda feel bad for the guy
Vick has a horrible offensive line but to say he has no receiving corps is LOLOLOL funny. Do you even know what you're talking about?
[ Edited by YOUNGster08 on Dec 22, 2012 at 3:59 AM ]
You and I both know Maclin is not at all a number one receiver or even a 2. Where is his at least average TE? His line is a joke. He has had PLENTY to work with ? Really ? compared to Alex ? He needs more than just a shifty slot guy and good RB. If Vick had better coaching and weapons he wouldn't have any doubters. He and Alex both had similar situations only difference here is that Vick isn't gonna get 8 years to get those weapons placed at his disposal like Alex.

Vick is already 32.
Originally posted by English:

Vick is already 32.
ok...........ur point is ?
Originally posted by YOUNGster08:
Vick has a horrible offensive line but to say he has no receiving corps is LOLOLOL funny. Do you even know what you're talking about?

only one of the eagles receivers have broke 1000 yards in the past three years. Avant never broke 700 yards. Celek is ok. Maclin is inconsistent. Thats all Vick's fault tho.