There are 133 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Jerry Rice: I have 40 records, I don't mind Megatron taking one

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/12/19/jerry-rice-i-have-40-records-i-dont-mind-megatron-taking-one/

Jerry was my favorite player growing up so a part me of does like it when other players break some of his records. But I gotta give Jerry props for saying that he would like to see Megatron break his record.

Jerry's numbers are much more prolific than the guys doing it now days because it was a much tougher league. There was no personal fouls for hitting WRs over the middle, no rule saying you cant touch the WRs after five yards.
Classy for Rice to say that. I agree Rice's accomplishment was more impressive due to the era he was in. The no contact over 5 yards rule was in place when he played, but it wasn't strictly enforced until about '96 or '97.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Classy for Rice to say that. I agree Rice's accomplishment was more impressive due to the era he was in. The no contact over 5 yards rule was in place when he played, but it wasn't strictly enforced until about '96 or '97.

Could have sworn the no contact 5 yard rule came into effect during the late 2000's.
Calvin Johnson carries himself well, if he breaks it then its great the record is going to another humble player that isnt all me me me.
Originally posted by fanmusclecars:
Originally posted by SofaKing:

Could have sworn the no contact 5 yard rule came into effect during the late 2000's.

That's what I though too at first. Remember reading on some site that it was put into place in the late 70's but wasn't really enforced until later. I'll try and find the link if I can.

( Edit: Implemented in '78, more strictly enforced in '96. Here is the link: http://www.sportsattic.com/araig/NflRulesHistory.htm )
[ Edited by SofaKing on Dec 19, 2012 at 6:34 PM ]
  • Paul
  • Veteran
records were meant to be broken
imagine if jerry rice played the prime of his career with these current WR rules. lol
Originally posted by TlSSER:
imagine if jerry rice played the prime of his career with these current WR rules. lol

his overall numbers are crazy

imagine if he played a full season in 97 or had Young for another couple years
I'd say you could add another 1,500 yards and 20 tds easy

his 22 tds in 12 games in 87 is nuts
Originally posted by 9erfan4life:
Originally posted by TlSSER:

his overall numbers are crazy

imagine if he played a full season in 97 or had Young for another couple years
I'd say you could add another 1,500 yards and 20 tds easy

his 22 tds in 12 games in 87 is nuts

mad skills....Moss needed all 16 games to break the record by one....
  • titan
  • Veteran
Cool! Rice ran routes while being jammed. They palyed you cant touch me and toss the ball in the air!
Me and Jerry Rice don't care about anyone breaking one of his records (my excuse to post this pic)
mega at 2000 yards that's just sick!
Funny he reminds people how many records he actually has. He's basically saying "Calvin is great, here, have a record of mine you cute kid, I've got plenty more because let's not forget, I'm the best ever."

More arrogant than classy. Still love the guy though.
  • Chico
  • Veteran
I'm sure it must piss Jerry off that the game is so much different these days that it was during his day. Offenses are more wide open and play 3 WR sets. Jerry played with mainly 2 receiver sets, 2 RBs so DBs & Safetys could double cover him more. Calvin is a great receiver and the benefit of a one dimensional offense. Their offense is pass, pass, pass...crappy running game.

Jerry = GOAT
Calivn = Beast...but only time will tell how great he ends up
I will punch Calvin really hard in the face if he breaks this record