LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 271 users in the forums

Should Bill Belichick be banned from the HOF because of "Spygate" ?

Shop 49ers game tickets

Should Bill Belichick be banned from the HOF because of "Spygate" ?

We don't even know how long hes been recording teams and winning games and even championships because of it or if he still is. This is just as disgusting as the Bounty Scandal and Steroids yet the organization got a slap on the wrist. I'm sorry but this takes away all the integrity of the game and has robbed great teams of well earned opportunities to have their own championships. Their success changed careers and the entire complexion of the game and it really bothers me that this Belly Chick clown gets some ounce of respect after something like that.
No.
  • Janitor
  • HOF Food Reviews
No chance
No, spygate was over-rated. Those teams still had to go out and execute, and anyone who has played competitive football knows that by the time the game is played, you've already studied enough film to know 90% of the other teams plays. Taping walk-throughs and trying to change your week long gameplan on the night before the game leads to the potential of miscomunications, and is too big a risk. It helped the "in-game" coaching because the coaches knew what to expect, but thats really about it. The players still had to execute and werent even aware of the cheating. Then look at the following season after spygate and how they absolutely rolled other great teams (SD and Ladanian eating his words comes to mind), and the winning hasnt stopped... so it couldnt of been that big of an advantage if losing that advantage hasn't changed the winning ways.

Hate Bellicheat because he is arrogant or whatever else, but there is no denying he is the gold standard of coaching. Some point to Brady as the reason, but he still chose to start Brady over Bledsoe and developed Brady slowly by starting with run oriented offensive schemes (Remember Dillon and Faulk) and slowly moving to a spread attack. He was also one of the first coaches to notice the obvious mismatches of todays TE's and look at how that offense is now geared.
Of course not
Absolutely NO!
Naw. Spygate is definitely an eyesore on his resume, but the NFL didn't even suspend him. They fined him money and docked the Patriots their first-round pick. He's still coaching today, and everyone still think he's one of the greatest coaches in NFL history.

Noooow.... if the New Orleans Bounty scandal happened to the Patriots, rather than the Saints, I really wonder how that'd affect his HoF chances.
No.
No he shouldn't be banned but remember who places the votes. Those people can carry a grudge like no other.
Wow..........u know what i'm really shocked and disgusted by the response. I care nothing for his personality or anything like that and didn't dislike him before spygate, but I think that cheating to this extent is very serious. "Still have to go out there and execute." Really ? When all of your audibles are adjusted to, all of your play formations and code words are already known to the opposite team ? No advantage ? Wow. "Gold standard of coaching ?" Walsh, Parcells, Shanahan, Holmgren,Lombardi, Madden. Thats the gold standard. You can have your opinions but wow........

Originally posted by 49rz4Life:
Wow..........u know what i'm really shocked and disgusted by the response. I care nothing for his personality or anything like that and didn't dislike him before spygate, but I think that cheating to this extent is very serious. "Still have to go out there and execute." Really ? When all of your audibles are adjusted to, all of your play formations and code words are already known to the opposite team ? No advantage ? Wow. "Gold standard of coaching ?" Walsh, Parcells, Shanahan, Holmgren,Lombardi, Madden. Thats the gold standard. You can have your opinions but wow........

umm No
If all the cheaters were taken out of the HOF it would be pretty small.
Spygate isnt helping Belichick anymore and he's still probably the best in the league. Plus it was totally overblown as it was.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Nope
I think he should be banned...but will get in anyways...didn't Merriman go to the pro-bowl the same year he was busted for steroids... ...cheat and at the end of the day still going to be rewarded just the same as the ppl who didn't cheat...
Share 49ersWebzone