Originally posted by 49oz2superbowl:
I will not lose sleep if we lose Roman (though I doubt we do). What we can't afford is to have all the big names taken by the time Roman finds his job.
My top candidates to replace Roman...
1) Pat Shurmur- Great OC, just got a bad shake as a HC in Cleveland. He also has a good track record with young qb's.
2) Chris Ault- we would easily be his top choice as both an elite team and having Kaep as our qb
3) Norv Turner- great and proven OC who coaches to our strengths (effectively utilizes the run game and TE). Perhaps the best trait about Norv Turner is that he is a proven OC and will never get another NFL head coaching gig due to his failures as a HC.
3) Geep Chryst (most likely candidate for consistency)
Just because I like playing devil's advocate
1.He's a good offensive coordinator and does work well with young QB's but if you hire him, you'd best be prepared to see him leave in 2 seasons to be a head coach again.
2. Absolutely no NFL experience, not even experience leading a top-flight college program(no offense to Nevada-Reno intended).
3. Very good candidate, a likely long-term solution as he won't get hired as a head coach again after flaming out 3 times, but he uses a different type of offensive system so there would need to be a fair amount of adjustment. Do you want to put a young QB through that after seeing what happened with Alex?
4. He was a horrible offensive coordinator in his short term with San Diego. People point to other issues with those teams, I point to him being pointed out as being horribly vanilla and the fact that in the 12 years that have followed, not a single team has offered him an offensive coordinator position. Hiring him just because he's "there" reeks of Jim Hostler type desperation.