LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 225 users in the forums

Can Chip Kelly make it in the NFL?

Shop 49ers game tickets
I love watching the Oregon team play. IMO they are the most exciting big time college program to watch. There has been talk if Kelly wins the National Championship he'll move to the pros. Can his offense win in the NFL? My answer for years would have been no, but I'm not so sure anymore. The NFL game is wide open and spread offenses seem to be more effective the past several years. If he coaches in the NFL will he shake up the league or go the way of Steve Spurrier.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Yes he can make it work. Our team for example has the personel for his scheme to be successful, especially if Kaepernick is the starter, and it is a coincidence the LMJ is on the roster -- even if we hadn't have drafted him I believe Gore and Hunter could be a LeGarrette Blunt/LMJ combo. Our receivers and TEs are excellent blockers, if a dumbed down Triple option could work for the Broncos with Tebow then Kelly's system would definitely be successful in the NFL.

Its nothing more then a zone blocking scheme based off a read option with shot plays downfield. The fact that he had 4.3 athletes as RBs only helped exemplify the big play ability of the scheme.
i know Oregon is shaking in its boots with the thought that he may be leaving.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
fire harbaugh and hire chip Kelly his offense drops 50 points for fun.
Originally posted by susweel:
fire harbaugh and hire chip Kelly his offense drops 50 points for fun.

This.

And we may finally get to see LMJ on the field.
10 years ago would be no, but today is a yes.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
I say he would not work out well. He has only coached at the college level and has no major program experience besides Oregon. I would say it would be like Mike Leach trying to be a pro coach.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Marsh:
I would think he surrounded himself with a great staff, those that have succeeded in the nfl he may do well

He would probably bring his current staff with him
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
who knows, Harbaugh is doing well for his first time coaching in the nfl. but many others have failed

So coaching with the Raiders doesn't count?
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
sorry meant head coaching. not sure how much that stint helped him.

Quarterback coach is a significant position i'm sure it helped him a lot.... What also helped him was a 10+ year playing career as a QB. Both things Kelly doesn't have.

• Jcool
  • Veteran
Smart Football ‏@smartfootball

My definitive piece on Chip Kelly's Oregon offense for Grantland: http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8631595/the-success-chip-kelly-oregon-ducks-offense-more-familiar-seems ;…
I totally agree with Chip Kelly and the statisticians. If he wins and comes to the NFL and wins, he will be changing the way NFL teams play.

4 and 2, go for it. Punting is equivalent to an interception or a turn over. Why would you turn the ball over when you have a 75% chance or more of making it on fourth down. (depending on which side of 50 obviously.).

2 point conversion, go for it, if you are over 50%, you are making points.

Go for TD's not field goals to win.

hurry up offense to slow down substitutions on defense.

Lighter more athletic OL, they can run and block down field. Imagine being a safety with a 275 lb OL blocking you.

The statisticians say this is the way to play. He has brought it to reality in the college ranks. Already Alabamas Nick Saban is crying fould that the hurry up is going to cause injury..... boo hoo.
  • Paul
  • Veteran
Only one way to find out.. I think he has a better chance of making it now, than Spurrier did when he entered the league. Just depends on which team he goes to & what QB he ends up with. Personally I'd love to see him and Gino Smith on the same team
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
I think Carolina would be smart to make a run at him.
  • Riot
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9erred:
I totally agree with Chip Kelly and the statisticians. If he wins and comes to the NFL and wins, he will be changing the way NFL teams play.

4 and 2, go for it. Punting is equivalent to an interception or a turn over. Why would you turn the ball over when you have a 75% chance or more of making it on fourth down. (depending on which side of 50 obviously.).

2 point conversion, go for it, if you are over 50%, you are making points.

Go for TD's not field goals to win.

hurry up offense to slow down substitutions on defense.

Lighter more athletic OL, they can run and block down field. Imagine being a safety with a 275 lb OL blocking you.

The statisticians say this is the way to play. He has brought it to reality in the college ranks. Already Alabamas Nick Saban is crying fould that the hurry up is going to cause injury..... boo hoo.

Yeah, it's to the point now where coaches just seem out of touch when they don't make decisions like this. Sumlin at Texas A&M does a lot of the same things. It kills me when I see our coaching staff make "conservative" decisions like punting or taking the field goal when the stats tell us that it's a stupid thing to do.
Share 49ersWebzone