LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 209 users in the forums

Can Chip Kelly make it in the NFL?

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by OregonDuckNiner:
Not only that, but in better condition than your opponents; however, there isn't much disparity in conditioning throughout the NFL.

Kelly would definitely have to tweak his system on offense for it to be successful, and I have no doubt in my mind that he could adapt to the style of play in the NFL. Kelly is truly an offensive genius.

I think he'd have to a little more than 'tweak' his system.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by Jcool:
Smart Football ‏@smartfootball

RT @SC_DougFarrar: Phil Simms insists that Chip Kelly's offense won't work in the NFL? That ought to seal Kelly's positive NFL future

Phil Simms opinion means nothing.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
So when Oregon plays a good D the offense does nothing.... That should scare NFL teams.....
Power teams seem to shut the Ducks down. They were set up for the National Champioship game and let it slip away. Stanford was the better team today, when you shut down Kenjon Barner you have a good chance to beat the Ducks. Stepfan Taylor looks like a highter draft pick then Barner. If Mariota progresses he could be a #1 overall pick.
So does this mean David Shaw is an NFL caliber coach now?
I doubt it would work, but I definetily think it's insane to even consider bringing him in. He could have any job he wants in college. The second things look south in the NFL he'll have 5 phone calls waiting for him.

With the exception of someone like Harbaugh I'd think twice about hiring any high profile college coach. It's just so much easier in college footbal than it is in the pros.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by KegBert:

Coached in the NFL from 1998 - 2005 so i would say yes, but Stanford is his dream job
I wouldn't be surprised in the NFL came calling for Shaw. Especially with how well Jim Harbaugh has done. As for Kelly's NFL prospects, I don't see too many jobs being open. Kansas City is a possibility, but they have no QB. Blame that on Pioli, now Crennel. Of course there is Philadelphia. But why would Kelly want to talk into that? After that, maybe Buffalo?
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
I wouldn't be surprised in the NFL came calling for Shaw. Especially with how well Jim Harbaugh has done. As for Kelly's NFL prospects, I don't see too many jobs being open. Kansas City is a possibility, but they have no QB. Blame that on Pioli, now Crennel. Of course there is Philadelphia. But why would Kelly want to talk into that? After that, maybe Buffalo?

Well in KC he will get a chance to pick his QB, and for a young QB better chance to success with an offensive minded HC.... Also... Carolina will be open, so will San Diego, maybe Arizona, Dallas, NY Jets, Cleveland, Slight chance of Washington being open & Detroit could be looking for a new coach.
IDK, most of the spread option QBs are struggling in the NFL. Also a lot of the WRs. The Readoption has not been very succesfull in the NFL mostly due to the speed of the D:Linemen and Linebackers. A readoption play here and there works but as a base offence no way.

On the other side a more "boring" pro-style offence produced a rookie QB who plays like a veteran in Luck.

The wide opetn Spread of for instance the Saints or the Packers is much more sophisticaed than those in college.

chip kelly is an intriguing coach just as harbaugh and schiano at their beginning. my guess is he will stay another year at oregon and then he will jump into the pros. at other hand, o'brien might leave penn state after he proved can bring up a football team.
Originally posted by Jcool:
Originally posted by KegBert:

Coached in the NFL from 1998 - 2005 so i would say yes, but Stanford is his dream job

Damn, fail in my part lol. I should check my facts before I try to be a smart ass.
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Chip Kelly would be out of a job in about two seasons in the NFL.
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Historically, NFL coach going back to college often works out pretty well (Mora, Carroll).

Vice Versa - not so much.

There are exceptions to the rule...like our own coach. But Harbaugh had an NFL pedigree and ran a Pro type offense in college.

Contrast that with the gimmick scheme that Oregon runs (spread/speedball)...you know it would never work, not against an NFL defense.
Share 49ersWebzone