LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 397 users in the forums

Greg Cossell Comments

Shop 49ers game tickets
11/26 Interview:
http://www.knbr.com/portals/3/podcasts/razormrt/112612gregcosell.mp3

11/12 Interview: Fairly accurate with Kaep. Other stuff isn't anything new.
http://www.knbr.com/portals/3/podcasts/razormrt/111212gregcosell.mp3

1. Kaep: If he starts, it will be interesting to see how Jim manages him because he's limited with his pass game understanding and he's not discipline in the pocket, he was a little lost as a drop back passer, he did not read his progressions at all. This is all expected due to his experience.
  2. Justin Smith: Normally he stands out every game. That didn't happen vs the Rams. He wasn't a big factor in the run game. Rams pulled the WHAM on us to be successful in their runs.
  3. Willis and Bowman: noticed they have playing a little more laterally vs the run lately.
  4. Big Picture: 49ers are a very similar team. Alex will come back but it all comes down to what they do in the pass game. That's the way they are ultimately going to go further. The passing game needs to be more than just complimentary. Thinks the QB does have limitations but we don't know if Harbaugh will or will not change the offense if he has a QB without limitations.
  5. Turnovers: some are random and some you can create such as interceptions. Fumbles are random to an extent. Can't count on turnovers to win games.
  6. Andrew Luck: He has 2 attributes that really jump out. 1. His ability presnap. 2. Pocket movement: he always finds a "quieter place" to deliver the football. The slightest movement in the pocket is extremely important. Running out of the pocket will only last you so long but moving in the pocket is how you can play within the structure of the offense.
  7. Peyton Manning: Offense is different. You don't see too many comeback routes in Denver as he threw in IND. Maybe he can't make that throw anymore. He has the best internal clock as any QB.

11/9 Interview:
http://www.knbr.com/portals/3/podcasts/murphmac/110812gregcosell.mp3

1. Rams: Limiting Jackson's carries for whatever reason. Backup has more explosiveness. Jackson is no longer that guy: he's an inside grinder now.
  2. Chris Givins: Rookie WR caught 3 50+ TDs but they don't call a lot of plays for him. His catches have been from "shot plays"
  3. Bradford: he's a pocket QB that relies on the OL and is not comfortable when he's pressured. He's not terrible but he's not playing as good as he should. His OL has not been good but Bradford needs to get better in the pocket when there are people around him. He needs to play up to his draft spot.
  4. 49ers Defense: Rams OL is in trouble. They shouldn't sustain any offense.
  5. 49ers Offense: Fisher is a defensive coach. They always think of efficiency in terms of offense which is why he appears to be more focused on the 49ers offense. They are not an explosive offense. They make some plays here and there but they can't do it all the time. If they pass a lot, then they get in trouble.
  6. Rams Pass rush: two very good edge rushers but will only be a factor on 3rd and 7+
  7. Vernon Davis: They may not be designing plays but you really can't tell what Roman's thinking. All the film shows is that they are not going to him as much. He remembers last year seeing specifically designed plays for Vernon where they split him out and it was obvious the play was designed for him.

1/5:
http://www.knbr.com/portals/3/podcasts/razormrt/110512cosell.mp3

1. Vick: 2010, threw the ball better but he made many plays outside of structure. Improv is random and not always good. Eventually, you must play within structure. Reid's system is QB friendly. Vick has never been a true timing/anticipation passer. He doesn't make his OL better by delivering on time. He's a "see it first" QB in that he needs to see the man open first which is why he holds the ball a beat longer than he needs. Rarely see elite QB's take the shots he takes by the DL. If PHI does not perform well vs the Saints, then you know not only is Vick not good, the entire offense is not good either. They should be able to throw the ball. Can't get more spot on than this.
  2. Falcons: Nolan wasn't a good head coach but is a very good D coordinator. Not sure why people think ATL is not that good. Explosive wideouts that win one-on-one battles that a not a lot of NFL receivers can do.
  3. Eli: Every year Eli has 3 or so games where the offense just does not look good. He struggles throughout the regular season. But he plays well in the playoffs. Agreed that clutch performances in the playoffs supersedes regular season performance. Won in his 4th year in the league gives you a mulligan for the rest of your career. Watches film of every team through a course of 3-4 weeks.
  4. Andrew Luck: He has great pocket movement. Cossell values this attribute as the most important attribute. Far more important than running out of the pocket. Great ball location when he moves within the pocket. Compares Luck to Big Ben in terms of his ability to move within the pocket. Luck and Tannehill are being asked to do the most. Wilson and Griffen work off the run game and are not being asked to do a lot within in the context of the offense.
[ Edited by Joecool on Nov 27, 2012 at 12:37 PM ]
I, personally, can't dispute any of those points. Eli's post-season success bothers me more than anything, because of his Elway-like behavior on the day he was drafted. He gets it done, but he'll never have my respect. Well, with one exception- ruining Bel-I-Cheats undefeated season. Kudos, on that one, Eli "the inbred" Manning. Now go pluck a banjo, you chromosome-deficient douche!

nice post JC..

i thought Cossells words are banned on the zone
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
nice post JC..

i thought Cossells words are banned on the zone

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
He's just a hater and knows nothing about football.
He use to start off his critique of Alex Smith by saying he doesnt hate Alex Smith. He would do this wothout even being asked if he hated Alex Smith. Guilty mofo. Alex must have slept with his wife
This gonna turn into an anti-Smith suckfest?
  • MarkD
  • Veteran
Greg Cossell would be selling hotdogs on a street corner if his dad hadn't of been famous.
Originally posted by MarkD:
Greg Cossell would be selling hotdogs on a street corner if his dad hadn't of been famous.

even a guy selling hot dogs can see what Cossell sees
SMH. Can you guys please not turn every single f**king thread into a Smith thread?

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
SMH. Can you guys please not turn every single f**king thread into a Smith thread?

val was the first person to mention him, I think he's obsessed with him.
Originally posted by MarkD:

Just goes to show what a man selling hotdogs can learn from being around NFL people and having access to an unlimited library of coach's film and has no life.
I think he hates Vick because he owns a French Poodle.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
I think he hates Vick because he owns a French Poodle.

lol
Gregory Cossell is a douche

Not one duck is given about his opinion by me
Share 49ersWebzone