There are 166 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Eric Winston Rips Chiefs fans

I know we've been cruel to Alex in the past but this is pretty sickening.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/gameon/2012/10/07/eric-winson-rips-fans-for-cheering-matt-cassel-injury/1618595/

"When you cheer, when you cheer somebody getting knocked out, I don't care who it is, and it just so happened to be Matt Cassel -- it's sickening. It's 100% sickening. I've been in some rough times on some rough teams, I've never been more embarrassed in my life to play football than in that moment right there."
He said it perfectly. That s**ts messed up on so many levels.
I was going to post the same thing but I said to myself, "who in the blue hell is matt cassell?"

RIP 2012 Kansas City Chiefs.
winston is just right
He's right, but Cassel blows and the fans were already calling for Quinn. The same thing would've happened in SF when Alex was stinking it up a couple seasons ago. The Chiefs fans cheered for him when he went back to locker room.
Millions of people disagree with Winston on this one and I wouldn't be surprised if he's a hypocrite on this issue. Boxers and MMA fighters get KO'd and the crowds erupt and I'd bet money Winston has partaken in the cheering in his life since most football players watch combat sports. People in KC don't like Cassell the way someone may not like Floyd Mayweather or Anderson Silva. Just because it happens to your guy, the guy you root for, it makes it sickening all the sudden when other people who are not fans of him watch him get KO'd? Nah, not buying it. The only difference here is that its socially unacceptable to cheer when a guy gets hurt on your team. But its okay to cheer when the Safety on your team destroys a WR coming across the middle. Well, until he gets carted off the field with an injury. Then we all cheer for him to get better even though we were all cheering for the big hit we just saw seconds earlier. Society is funny SMH.
Originally posted by WhoGotItBetterThenUs:
Millions of people disagree with Winston on this one and I wouldn't be surprised if he's a hypocrite on this issue. Boxers and MMA fighters get KO'd and the crowds erupt and I'd bet money Winston has partaken in the cheering in his life since most football players watch combat sports. People in KC don't like Cassell the way someone may not like Floyd Mayweather or Anderson Silva. Just because it happens to your guy, the guy you root for, it makes it sickening all the sudden when other people who are not fans of him watch him get KO'd? Nah, not buying it. The only difference here is that its socially unacceptable to cheer when a guy gets hurt on your team. But its okay to cheer when the Safety on your team destroys a WR coming across the middle. Well, until he gets carted off the field with an injury. Then we all cheer for him to get better even though we were all cheering for the big hit we just saw seconds earlier. Society is funny SMH.

Not quite sure if what you're talking about is the same as what Winston is talking about, but I can see your point. We do cheer for the "big hit" and want that highlight reel of KOs in MMA and Boxing, but that is part of the game.

What Winston is referencing is that after the hit on Cassel, they were cheering that he wasn't getting up. Even in MMA/Boxing, I have never heard ppl openly cheer about a guy not being able to get up from a hit/KO, even if you are rooting against them. Closest thing I ever came to experiencing this was @ the 49er game where Dilfer got brutally KO'ed (think it was against the Ravens), and heard a little scattering of cheers for Troy Smith. They were quickly quelled down b/c everyone else in the crowd looked @ them, and were saying "WTF is wrong with you? He's HURT!!!"

Overall, yes, we do cheer for the KO, but no one should cheer for injuries, especially when you're the home team cheering for your own QB to be hurt....just disgusting....
I agree with what you are saying. You shouldn't cheer for a guy on your team to get injured and i know that was Winstons point. I will point out though that I've heard our fans cheer when a guy was hit and couldn't even make it to the sideline without falling down again. Its just more acceptable because he isn't on our team though. Here's video proof.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d812c3d81/Hasselbeck-injury
would we have cheered if Alex went down in the "we want Carr" game"? i know i wouldnt..
He's a 100% right. He's sticking up for his teammate.
Originally posted by CityKing415:
would we have cheered if Alex went down in the "we want Carr" game"? i know i wouldnt..

I guarantee I would not have, but then again I didn't participate in the "we want carr" crap.
???
I've heard fans boo when a player gets hurt and the teams medical staff goes to check on him, mainly in baseball, which is classless. You don't cheer for a guy to get hurt, makes you look like an ever bigger a*****e.

We all cheer for big hits, like Whitner on Pierre Thomas. But not this on Cassel. I never root for someone to get injured, they put on a showing, they are risking there lives out there, so what if you paid to see them play, dont boo or cheer when a play gets hurt and can't make it off the field. Seen it in Yankees/Red Sox games, and even just Yankees against anyone at Yaneke stadium. Yankees fans are classless IMO.

Winston was right for what he said, I would never do this. It's what happens when you're losing, and fans have had too many beers.
Originally posted by CityKing415:

Yeah, that crowd would have. That was embarassing because of the guy they were cheering for. David Carr? Really?
Agree with him.