There are 367 users in the forums

Head Coach Mike Nolan?

Shop 49ers game tickets
Sorry abaout that.

He was a TERRIBLE head coach.

He is a very good D coordinator. I wish him well and hopefully his suits stay in mothballs with his HC career.
Problem was they gave him full control of everything
No one around to tell him your f**king it up
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
He was a

even if Ninning
He was not a very good head coach, i suspect he will get another opportunity and do things different. One of the things that coach Nolan was great at was organization and logistics. He really put a plan in place for the whole Niner franchise, before him it was like Thunder Dome around there, anything goes. He brought a heirarchy and discipline from top to bottom. I thank him for that, but head coach he was just bad.
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
I can't ever remember a person being given such power with no experience. As I recall didn't he also have the GM duties his first few years? No concept of offense. It would have been interesting if Norv Turner had stayed on as offensive coordinator.

Ironically Nolan did a better job as a GM than as a head coach.
  • fryet
  • Veteran
I don't necessarily think that Nolan was that bad of a coach, but he certainly had some limitations. He wasn't able to coach the offensive side of the ball, and that was his biggest downfall. I also think that he tends to scheme too much on defense. It can create some advantages, but can also hamstring players who want to be able to focus on just playing football and letting their abilities dictate the outcome. You saw it with Denver. The Denver defense was fantastic at the start of the season, but they faded as the teams figured out the scheme. I expect the same thing will happen with Atlanta. I expect Atlanta to be near a .500 team for their last 8 games of the season. That will probably get them into the playoffs with a 11 or maybe 12 game season, but they won't progress far into the playoffs.

On the positive side, I remember Nolan focusing on drafting character players. One thing that you see in the current 49ers is a phenomenal work ethic. Jim Harbaugh deserves some credit for that too, but were it not for those Nolan players, I don't know that the team would be quite as exceptional. Now, with the culture established, even the newer players buy into the culture as well.
Why is everybody hating? He technically built the foundation of this team. I can definitely see Nolan as a HC again just long as he's learned from his mistakes which most 2nd time head coaches do. Doesn't always guarantee success though.
hahahaha good joke man.
Haha why?
Originally posted by pelos21:
Why is everybody hating? He technically built the foundation of this team. I can definitely see Nolan as a HC again just long as he's learned from his mistakes which most 2nd time head coaches do. Doesn't always guarantee success though.

I actually agree with this logic. You'll inevitably get hate on this board for making a declarative statement like that, but I think he has the tools to be a head coach...if he's learned from this past experience (assuming he has).

Look at Mike Mularkey. Nothing too exciting about the guy or his resume. Three mediorce seasons in Buffalo as the HC, takes OC gigs in Miami and ATL before getting the Jaguars job.

Actually come to think of it, their career paths are pretty similar.

Originally posted by mickey49:
Mike Nolan brought himself AND Mike Singletary to the 49ers. Let that sink in for a minute...

• Chico
  • Veteran
Nolan, Singletary, McGloughlan all brought us players that are making an impact on todays team. They weren't the greatest at coaching or being a GM, but they were much much better than Don-who & Erickson - those days were just plain dismal because they sucked at coaching, GM & most of their draft picks are gone!
I don't care for Nolan because he tried and failed horribly as a 49er HC. I don't care for him nor how well he might be doing elsewhere. He was a jerk here and he was a turnoff to many players while he was here and he came off as a complete moron in his head coaching capacity. Under his reign we got away from the WCO and we were a laughingstock. Aside from that he couldn't even carve out a preseason roster spot so that Jerry Rice could retire a 49er. What an arrogant, self-absorbed douchebag!! Most of the former 49er players during our glory years stayed away and had little to say of him
Look I want to say thank you to Nolan.

This team that we have right now was his vision he had when he was coach/gm. Attacking 3-4 D, run first WCO. Most of these players here were because he drafted them....and bringing in Justin Smith.

Yeah he could have handled things differently wit Alex...and instead of going after Cam Cameron, he went for Mike Martz, clearly we had all the weapons for a Cam Cameron run offense, not a Martz led offense.

Singletary's promotion was a bad move after Nolan

So this post is to say Thank You. Because our drafts went to crap when McClueless took over the drafts instead of Nolan. The year after we drafted Willis.

Again we would not be in this position had it not been for Nolan's strategy for building this team.

Now adding Harbaugh and Baalke, has only prepared us for now and the future, and I am glad to say that we are in a great position now!
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ninerlifer:
Look I want to say thank you to Nolan.

This team that we have right now was his vision he had when he was coach/gm. Attacking 3-4 D, run first WCO. Most of these players here were because he drafted them....and bringing in Justin Smith.

Yeah he could have handled things differently wit Alex...and instead of going after Cam Cameron, he went for Mike Martz, clearly we had all the weapons for a Cam Cameron run offense, not a Martz led offense.

Singletary's promotion was a bad move after Nolan

So this post is to say Thank You. Because our drafts went to crap when McClueless took over the drafts instead of Nolan. The year after we drafted Willis.

Again we would not be in this position had it not been for Nolan's strategy for building this team.

Now adding Harbaugh and Baalke, has only prepared us for now and the future, and I am glad to say that we are in a great position now!
the biggest thing nolan should have done was to re sign jeff garcia who made it very public he wanted to come back to the niners. i feel that would have been a much better situation for alex than what happened to him.
Share 49ersWebzone