There are 134 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Head Coach Mike Nolan?

We're just a couple of weeks away from the four year anniversary of Mike Nolan getting the ax...let us all take moment and remember the tan man with suit and tie tendancies...Great thanks.

Nolan's tenure represents the darkest days of fandom in my 27 years of existance, but I often wonder if given another head coaching opportunity if he now has the experience and attitude to actually succeed?

After a disappointing first season in SF, I became a believer by the end of 2006 when we finished 7-9. I bought into the buzz that we had the makings of a 10 or 11 win season as we headed in the '07 season. Obviously that year instead signaled "the only a matter of time" as it pertained to Mike Nolan losing his job. He publicly clashed with Alex and the identity of the team was nowhere to be found. Unable to truly assemble a coaching staff and build any consistency on the offensive side (coordinator and personel) were always quite glaring to most.

I do wonder now though, given that whole experience, and the fact that he's been able to put out good to very good defenses with Denver, Miami, and now Atlanta, if enough has passed that he would be considered a strong candidate for a head coaching opportunity. The stink of his time here may not be completely removed, but it seems like enough time has passed for him to stand on a newly minted track record.

And I'm not even suggesting that he should be a head coach, I would just love to hear your thoughts on his coaching future, as he was such a polarizing figure.
I dont wonna relive that dark period I choose to just wipe it away and pretend like it was just bad dream.

Also some dudes are just coordinators and not head coach material.
Worst period of my life I will never get back!
He was just too young and unprepared to be a HC imo. Especially with a dismal team like we were. He had some good qualities but like Belicheck with the Browns sometimes you are in over your head. I think he could make a solid HC after getting more experience and already having HC experience. Probably approach the situation much more prepared.
Let's be clear, anyone starts a Remember Terry Donahue thread, the rush to ban them will cause injuries.
Originally posted by YungAce:
Worst period of my life I will never get back!

I had a dark period once, too much Hemoglobin
worst 1st post and thread ever
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by susweel:
I dont wonna relive that dark period I choose to just wipe it away and pretend like it was just bad dream.

Also some dudes are just coordinators and not head coach material.

yep. i was sucked in cuz i hate dennis erickson so much and thought it was good to hire a new person and not a retread coach. i was also sucked in because his dad was the niner coach when i first started to like the team and i got to caught up in the emotion stuff. he got some good guys in here and did some good things but had no people skills, no player skills, and as you said he and the next doorknob that came next had no clue how to be a head coach
Lets not remember. He's lucky to still have a job.
This is NOT a cool story, bro.
Still can't believe i let that douche sign my niner hoodie
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:

I seen him at one Niner family day and my wife says hey should we get his autograph, I said hell no that dude is gonna be fired soon anyways and he got fired 7 games into the season.

I seen him at one Niner family day and my wife says hey should we get his autograph, I said hell no that dude is gonna be fired soon anyways and he got fired 7 games into the season.

Yeah that's where i got him to sign my hoodie, at the 2008 family day.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

when he got fired, thier next move was not good