There are 128 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Carroll wishes he'd thought of Schiano's approach to kneeldowns

Originally posted by modninerfan:
Why cant you fake a kneel down?

get in formation, snap the ball, drop back throw to VD or Walker streaking down the field


You could then again the game's already over so there's no reason to risk a fumble.
Who cares? The game wasn't over Coughlin was talking about someone get injured there? Well it is football after all, players risk injury during the entire game, if the coach trying to force a turnover during a kneel down I think it's legit. If carroll wants to try this move on us so be it, we'll still go for two when we're up 4 scores
If/when we lose we better do it in a classy way. Personally i would be disgusted if it was our defense. If they cant get it done before then they don't deserve it.
Originally posted by sdniner:
Who cares? The game wasn't over Coughlin was talking about someone get injured there? Well it is football after all, players risk injury during the entire game, if the coach trying to force a turnover during a kneel down I think it's legit. If carroll wants to try this move on us so be it, we'll still go for two when we're up 4 scores

I wouldn't put it past one of their idiots to take a cheap shot
Not surprised by Carroll, I never liked this guy. It's cheap and bush league, you had your shot, you turned it over either regular or on downs, now it's over, let them down it.
It does raise an interesting question.

Everything today favors the offense in regards to the rules of the game. Defenses finding some equalizers? Kind of interesting.
Getting upset that that defense didn't play p***y and stand there is silly. Had manning fumbled and the defense recovered, they probably have a chance at one more play.
Why SHOULD the game be over before it is over?
Saying the team doesn't deserve to win because they had there shot seems silly. They are going for another shot at the game. I find it hard to fault them for that.


Oh, and f**k Merrill hodge! "I approve this message" what a jackass.
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:
It does raise an interesting question.

Everything today favors the offense in regards to the rules of the game. Defenses finding some equalizers? Kind of interesting.
Getting upset that that defense didn't play p***y and stand there is silly. Had manning fumbled and the defense recovered, they probably have a chance at one more play.
Why SHOULD the game be over before it is over?
Saying the team doesn't deserve to win because they had there shot seems silly. They are going for another shot at the game. I find it hard to fault them for that.


Oh, and f**k Merrill hodge! "I approve this message" what a jackass.

Im sorry but that stance makes no sense. What about the defense of the winning team that was just on the feild playing balls out to get the ball back so the offense can secure the game? The reason for the gentleman's agreement is to temper emotions at the end of the game, avoid pointless injury's from plyers being over zealous, and to make that last drive even more exciting.

rushing in on the kneel down with reckless abandon does nothing for the game of football.
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:
It does raise an interesting question.

Everything today favors the offense in regards to the rules of the game. Defenses finding some equalizers? Kind of interesting.
Getting upset that that defense didn't play p***y and stand there is silly. Had manning fumbled and the defense recovered, they probably have a chance at one more play.
Why SHOULD the game be over before it is over?
Saying the team doesn't deserve to win because they had there shot seems silly. They are going for another shot at the game. I find it hard to fault them for that.


Oh, and f**k Merrill hodge! "I approve this message" what a jackass.

Im sorry but that stance makes no sense. What about the defense of the winning team that was just on the feild playing balls out to get the ball back so the offense can secure the game? The reason for the gentleman's agreement is to temper emotions at the end of the game, avoid pointless injury's from plyers being over zealous, and to make that last drive even more exciting.

rushing in on the kneel down with reckless abandon does nothing for the game of football.

Good points.
With the Gentlemen's Agreement, why bother with the kneel down at all then?
Just call the game over, and shake hands. (not too hard)


Hodge still sucks, though.
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 10,482
Schiano said they caused 4 fumbled in the last 5 years with that play. I wouldn't stop doing it either. If there's time on the clock you do whatever you can to win the game especially if its a 1 score game
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Originally posted by modninerfan:
Why cant you fake a kneel down?

get in formation, snap the ball, drop back throw to VD or Walker streaking down the field


You could then again the game's already over so there's no reason to risk a fumble.

Teams sometimes wait a few seconds before actually kneeling to take even more time off the clock.
Pete Carroll is a chump.
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:
I don't see anything wrong with trying to make something happen if there is still a possibility of winning the game.
If the game is still close... why not at least try. Why should it be better, or more acceptable, to just give up?

i agree. I'm actually on Carroll and Shiano's side. Coughlin is a little girl when it comes to his emotions
Originally posted by ImaMod:
Schiano said they caused 4 fumbled in the last 5 years with that play. I wouldn't stop doing it either. If there's time on the clock you do whatever you can to win the game especially if its a 1 score game

Those four forced fumbles were caused by Rutgers. A low level college team playing low level college teams. Again it was a bush league move done out of desperation.
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 10,482
Originally posted by Fisherniner:
Those four forced fumbles were caused by Rutgers. A low level college team playing low level college teams. Again it was a bush league move done out of desperation.

I know that. It doesn't matter to me. If you caused 4 fumbles in the last 5 years on that play you at least try it in the NFL
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 8,104
Meh.

Schiano tried it and it failed. Now NFL teams are aware that the Bucs might try to do that and will prepare for it.

What I'm interested in seeing is if the Bucs do continue this tactic. If they don't, Schiano looks like a pansy. If they do, I'm interested in seeing how the other team reacts.

I'm also interested in seeing if Carroll tries this. I honestly doubt he does, considering he hasn't before. He is a pansy.

I doubt other teams try it, either. It's just asking for trouble. Especially with the way Goodell is "emphasizing player safety".

Speaking of hypocritical Goodell and his royally f**king up negotiations with two labor unions in two years... if this does happen again, it could start a fight on the field. We've seen how well the replacement refs handle those. Might be fun to watch.