There are 175 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Carroll wishes he'd thought of Schiano's approach to kneeldowns

Seahawks coach Pete Carroll has waded into the dispute between Buccaneers coach Greg Schiano and Giants coach Tom Coughlin over the way the Bucs attacked the Giants' kneel-down on their final play Sunday. And instead of doing the safe thing and straddling the fence, Carroll has come down firmly on the side of Schiano.

At his press conference today, Carroll made it clear that he thinks Schiano is right. And although he didn't mention Coughlin by name, he also suggested that he thinks Coughlin was wrong to object to the way the Buccaneers tried to force a fumble on the Giants' "victory formation" play, saying that if the Giants have a problem with the way the Buccaneers handled the play, then the Giants need to do a better job of protecting their quarterback.

"I'm glad it was brought up like this because I think it was a competitor competing and I don't think there is anything wrong with that," Carroll said. "That's exactly what you should do: Try to win the game. And there was a chance to win the game on that play and I thought Greg did exactly the right thing. And I would do exactly the same thing if in the same situation. So I don't see where there's any reason to think other than that. It's about competing to try to make the play to win the football game. That's it. And protect your quarterback."

But the odd thing about Carroll's claim that he "would do exactly the same thing if in the same situation" is that Carroll was in the same situation a week earlier, and he didn't do the same thing: When Carroll's Seahawks were on the losing side of the Cardinals' victory formation play in Week One, they didn't try to force a fumble. I just re-watched the Cardinals' final kneel-down in Week One, and the players on the Seahawks' defense just stood there and allowed Cardinals quarterback Kevin Kolb to take the snap, take a step back and take a knee.

Oddly, none of the reporters at Carroll's press conference asked him the logical follow-up: If you think Schiano is right, why haven't you coached your team the way Schiano coached his team?

Apparently Carroll hasn't coached it because he had never thought of it. And maybe Schiano has now taught the rest of the league a new approach to kneel-downs, and we'll see Carroll and other coaches teaching that approach going forward.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/09/20/carroll-wishes-hed-thought-of-schianos-approach-to-kneeldowns/

Guess we can expect this from them now........
[ Edited by jreff22 on Sep 20, 2012 at 9:48 PM ]
Originally posted by jreff22:
Seahawks coach Pete Carroll has waded into the dispute between Buccaneers coach Greg Schiano and Giants coach Tom Coughlin over the way the Bucs attacked the Giants' kneel-down on their final play Sunday. And instead of doing the safe thing and straddling the fence, Carroll has come down firmly on the side of Schiano.

At his press conference today, Carroll made it clear that he thinks Schiano is right. And although he didn't mention Coughlin by name, he also suggested that he thinks Coughlin was wrong to object to the way the Buccaneers tried to force a fumble on the Giants' "victory formation" play, saying that if the Giants have a problem with the way the Buccaneers handled the play, then the Giants need to do a better job of protecting their quarterback.

"I'm glad it was brought up like this because I think it was a competitor competing and I don't think there is anything wrong with that," Carroll said. "That's exactly what you should do: Try to win the game. And there was a chance to win the game on that play and I thought Greg did exactly the right thing. And I would do exactly the same thing if in the same situation. So I don't see where there's any reason to think other than that. It's about competing to try to make the play to win the football game. That's it. And protect your quarterback."

But the odd thing about Carroll's claim that he "would do exactly the same thing if in the same situation" is that Carroll was in the same situation a week earlier, and he didn't do the same thing: When Carroll's Seahawks were on the losing side of the Cardinals' victory formation play in Week One, they didn't try to force a fumble. I just re-watched the Cardinals' final kneel-down in Week One, and the players on the Seahawks' defense just stood there and allowed Cardinals quarterback Kevin Kolb to take the snap, take a step back and take a knee.

Oddly, none of the reporters at Carroll's press conference asked him the logical follow-up: If you think Schiano is right, why haven't you coached your team the way Schiano coached his team?

Apparently Carroll hasn't coached it because he had never thought of it. And maybe Schiano has now taught the rest of the league a new approach to kneel-downs, and we'll see Carroll and other coaches teaching that approach going forward.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/09/20/carroll-wishes-hed-thought-of-schianos-approach-to-kneeldowns/

Guess we can expect this from them now........

I wouldn't put it past him, but I would be disappointed if we started doing it I think...
Thats funny because when Harbaugh ran the score up on him at Stanford in stead of kneeling down, Carroll b***hed like a little school girl.

Thats what the whole "Whats your deal?" situation was about.
Well the niners will provide Carroll two opportunities to practice it this year.
i dare carroll to try that when were in our victory formation. harbaugh will bring a garbage can with him and can his ass midfield
Carroll needs to get a job with his broke ass.
Originally posted by THEB:
Thats funny because when Harbaugh ran the score up on him at Stanford in stead of kneeling down, Carroll b***hed like a little school girl.

Thats what the whole "Whats your deal?" situation was about.

Originally posted by KowboyKiller:
Well the niners will provide Carroll two opportunities to practice it this year.

Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
i dare carroll to try that when were in our victory formation. harbaugh will bring a garbage can with him and can his ass midfield

lol these lol
Great more cheap shots from them.
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:

Hahahaha omfg this one does it for me, I just s**t all over my f**king balls!!!!
If we are up big against the Hawks and they try to pull this on us at the end of a game, i would LOVE to see Harbaugh plan for it and hit them with a big play, like a designed swing pass if they all bull rush smith lol would be dope!!!!
Just have Alex take the snap from the shotgun and take a knee five yards behind the LOS. If the games is over, it's over. We don't need another unnecessary injury like Morgans last year by running plays we don't need.
[ Edited by Theswede on Sep 21, 2012 at 2:21 AM ]
Originally posted by Theswede:
Just have Alex take the snap from the shotgun and take a knee five yards behind the LOS. If the games is over, it's over. We don't need another unnecessary injury like Morgans last year by running plays we don't need.

True.....but for Carroll i hope we make an exception.
Heres the thing Carroll won't get a chance to against us... I suspect when we are through with the seachickens that when we go to QB kneel their guys won't even be standing anymore
I don't see anything wrong with trying to make something happen if there is still a possibility of winning the game.
If the game is still close... why not at least try. Why should it be better, or more acceptable, to just give up?
If you are down one score might as well try it.

But if down multiple scores, its time to accept defeat.

Its like intentionally fouling in basket ball when you are down 10 with 20 sec left. Its over