There are 250 users in the forums

*** WEEK 3 NFL GAMEDAY THREAD 9/20 - 9/24 ***

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • vaden
  • Veteran
GB is the NFL's only publicly-owned team, so the NFL literally screwed the public here way beyond just angering fans.
"The Inaccurate Reception"

- Adam Schefter
Originally posted by vaden:
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
This needs repeating:

From a purely football standpoint this was a horribly officiated game, worst thus far perhaps. I hope this is it for the replacement refs. This was bad, really bad. I respect the game 1st, and a fan 2nd. As a student of the game I have to say that the wrong team won tonight and it was ushered in by the refs. This is on the NFL owners (let us not forget the refs were locked out). They bullied the players and now they'er trying to bully the refs. The owners need to be protested, burned in effigy, bashed - publicly - and shown no mercy by "We the people". This is an example of why greedy blue-blooded Robber Baron plutocrats (who, BTW, have no real connection to the game itself) should never EVER have total control of anything!!!!, least of all nothing as big as the NFL. Sooner or later they'll run it into the ground for the sake of money. Here we stand with the greatest product known to man - the NFL - and the owners themselves are hurting "the shield" most, so they can keep an extra buck. This should be a lesson to all Americans of what will happen if autocrats like the NFL owners are given total control. What happened tonight is but a microcosm of whats going on in this nation as a whole.
I understand that this is a business. The problem I have is that these a*****e blue-blooded plutocrats are treating this too much of a business. Football in America is ingrained in our culture, so the NFL don't totally belong to them. The NFL belongs to America. They are so wrapped up with making a buck that they can't - won't - do what's right. This is terrible a problem of the owners making.

The NFL is also protected (anti-trust exemption) and subsidized (massive public money spent to build stadiums) by the government. Revoke the exemption and end the NFL's corporate welfare.
Been thinking that for years.
Originally posted by WookieOftheYear:
thats 2nd screen shot says it all. Jennings has it on his chest and tate has one arm on it. That never changes ever when they hit the ground, You cant rule that Tate is also in possession of that ball

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FHGgJtHVWzA

So this is not a catch? He never has a 2nd hand, nor does he ever bring it to his chest.

And the other funny part. If Jennings had all this strong sturdy possession, why did tate come out of the pile with it?
Originally posted by jdt84_2:
thats 2nd screen shot says it all. Jennings has it on his chest and tate has one arm on it. That never changes ever when they hit the ground, You cant rule that Tate is also in possession of that ball

So this is not a catch? He never has a 2nd hand, nor does he ever bring it to his chest.

And the other funny part. If Jennings had all this strong sturdy possession, why did tate come out of the pile with it?
he didnt
Originally posted by jreff22:
he didnt

Who didn't what?

why don't you tell me exactly what happens when there's 30 dudes wrestling in a dog pile.

why did tate take his hands off the ball during the struggle leaving the ball in Jennings sole possession, only to place his hands back on the ball
why did tate take his hands off the ball during the struggle leaving the ball in Jennings sole possession, only to place his hands back on the ball
He did I never saw his ledthand leave. In fact, I see the ball move in an odd way because his left hand is there.

I can not tell you what happened in a group of 30guys but in a "group" of 2 with another persons hand, I have a good idea. While Jennings is laying on tates head he is trying to rip it away from tate(while tate is doing the same) while this is going on you can see the moment tate wins it and the ball pops out of Jennings chest and hands.

He did I never saw his ledthand leave. In fact, I see the ball move in an odd way because his left hand is there.

I can not tell you what happened in a group of 30guys but in a "group" of 2 with another persons hand, I have a good idea. While Jennings is laying on tates head he is trying to rip it away from tate(while tate is doing the same) while this is going on you can see the moment tate wins it and the ball pops out of Jennings chest and hands.

NOOOOOO. Stop trying to convince yourself it was a good call. Everyone and their mother, except for a few people who want to go against the grain, knows that was an INT. Ridiculous call. But it is over. Seattle can have their hollow victory if they want it.
Originally posted by SportsFan:
NOOOOOO. Stop trying to convince yourself it was a good call. Everyone and their mother, except for a few people who want to go against the grain, knows that was an INT. Ridiculous call. But it is over. Seattle can have their hollow victory if they want it.
Go back and read my posts. I never said I agreed with it. I said I can see why the ref made the call, it is not the worst call in the history of officiating. I don't even think it is the worst call this year ir last year.
Originally posted by SportsFan:
Go back and read my posts. I never said I agreed with it. I said I can see why the ref made the call, it is not the worst call in the history of officiating. I don't even think it is the worst call this year ir last year.

as an individual call vs degree of difficulty, ya. that PI earlier in the drive was more blatant.

but considering the entire scope:

scoring play that determined the outcome....
nationally televised, prime time game......
growing frustration over replacement refs over 7 weeks (incl pre-season) of poor officiating.....
growing frustration over bad calls being made over the course of that game.....
the fact that there were multiple things missed in that play.... (Off-PI that league admitted should have been called)
the fact that two referees were standing side-by-side making different calls......
the fact that the officiating crew lost complete control after that play (a scrum shouldn't have even happened, a camera man was close to/near the pile, a lot of extra players in the pile, no conference called by the head official, poor judgement made by the replay officials.)
the fact that, as the play was happening, a former referee working with the announcers says the call should have been overturned.....

yeah maybe not the "worst call ever" (considering one single isolated play) but it is definitely the final straw in this whole scab ref issue.
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
as an individual call vs degree of difficulty, ya. that PI earlier in the drive was more blatant.

but considering the entire scope:

scoring play that determined the outcome....
nationally televised, prime time game......
growing frustration over replacement refs over 7 weeks (incl pre-season) of poor officiating.....
growing frustration over bad calls being made over the course of that game.....
the fact that there were multiple things missed in that play.... (Off-PI that league admitted should have been called)
the fact that two referees were standing side-by-side making different calls......
the fact that the officiating crew lost complete control after that play (a scrum shouldn't have even happened, a camera man was close to/near the pile, a lot of extra players in the pile, no conference called by the head official, poor judgement made by the replay officials.)
the fact that, as the play was happening, a former referee working with the announcers says the call should have been overturned.....

yeah maybe not the "worst call ever" (considering one single isolated play) but it is definitely the final straw in this whole scab ref issue.
Bingo this has been my case. The ref seeing what he saw and the decision he came to does not bother me.

The 2 refs signaling different calls without communicating with each other, and the whole clusterf**k that followed is the real problem here. Hell in week one against the packers, I did not mind the late flags. as a soccer ref I would always prefer a delayed call that I processed than a quick call that was wrong.
They did a SportsScience on Tate's 'catch.' Anyone know where I might be able to find a link to it?
Share 49ersWebzone