LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 255 users in the forums

Matt Williamson of Scouts Inc. says Russell Wilson better than our boy Alex

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
I was kind of shocked to read this from him because I always thought he is usually pretty good in his assessments.

He also picked the Seachickens to win the division (which seems to be the popular thing these days)

For the record I think Alex is a better player than Russell Flutie.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/72876/scouts-take-qb-puts-seahawks-on-top

I very much believe Russell Wilson will have the best year of any quarterback in the division," Williamson said. "Sam Bradford has a chance to be a very good one, but he looks terrible and his supporting cast is a mess. Arizona is a mess. I'm not a huge Smith believer." In Wilson, Williamson see the potential for Cam Newton-type production. He thought Wilson, a third-round choice, should have gone a round earlier. "One thing about him, his college history shows he doesn't turn the ball over," Williamson said. "He'll do more at this level, but he is not going to hurt the team the way rookie quarterbacks usually do. He's very smart, really knows where to go with the ball." Williamson said he didn't necessarily "trust" Smith. This seemed curious to me. Smith tossed only five picks all last season. He was about as trustworthy as a quarterback could be. And when the game was on the line against New Orleans in the playoffs, Smith made the plays to win the game. He'll presumably grow within the 49ers' offensive system now that he's had time to get more comfortable with it.
Originally posted by susweel:
I was kind of shocked to read this from him because I always thought he is usually pretty good in his assessments.

He also picked the Seachickens to win the division (which seems to be the popular thing these days)

For the record I think Alex is a better player than Russell Flutie.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/72876/scouts-take-qb-puts-seahawks-on-top

I very much believe Russell Wilson will have the best year of any quarterback in the division," Williamson said. "Sam Bradford has a chance to be a very good one, but he looks terrible and his supporting cast is a mess. Arizona is a mess. I'm not a huge Smith believer." In Wilson, Williamson see the potential for Cam Newton-type production. He thought Wilson, a third-round choice, should have gone a round earlier. "One thing about him, his college history shows he doesn't turn the ball over," Williamson said. "He'll do more at this level, but he is not going to hurt the team the way rookie quarterbacks usually do. He's very smart, really knows where to go with the ball." Williamson said he didn't necessarily "trust" Smith. This seemed curious to me. Smith tossed only five picks all last season. He was about as trustworthy as a quarterback could be. And when the game was on the line against New Orleans in the playoffs, Smith made the plays to win the game. He'll presumably grow within the 49ers' offensive system now that he's had time to get more comfortable with it.

OK. By the way, where is Susweel?
f**k Matt Williamson!
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by English:
OK. By the way, where is Susweel?

You gotta give Alex some credit he did win a playoff game, you cant just say some 5"10 rookie who had a good preseason is gonna have a better season.
Originally posted by susweel:
You gotta give Alex some credit he did win a playoff game, you cant just say some 5"10 rookie who had a good preseason is gonna have a better season.

To the seahawk fans preseason wins vs 2nd team defenses > playoff wins.
[ Edited by BayArea on Aug 30, 2012 at 12:37 PM ]
I'm telling you, the SeaCocks are the trendy pick this year (skip bayless, williamson, rosenthal, etc.)

We were the trendy pick from 2007-2010 and how did that work for us?
Wilson has some upside at this point. But no.

Alex is proven. Til Wilson wins a playoff game, they can take a seat.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
way to go out on a limb there. who ISN'T better than AS?
I believe it dont surpirse me SAD but it dont surprise me one bit........some guys where born to be franchise QB's while other hang from a thread through their career getting chance after chance after chance to become WHAT? A average QB

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
I'm telling you, the SeaCocks are the trendy pick this year (skip bayless, williamson, rosenthal, etc.)

We were the trendy pick from 2007-2010 and how did that work for us?

Yah everybody likes to pick the darkhorse, this is good for JH's motivational material.

Originally posted by ChazBoner:

Kaep, Tolzien and JJ are the only one I can think of....

Smith ain't got noth'n on a 5'10 3rd round pick qb. Flynn, Kolb, Skelton all better than Smiff. Dude is the worst qb in the NFC West
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Aug 30, 2012 at 12:46 PM ]
People need to start getting warnings for creating new Alex threads instead of lumping all of it into.. well, the Alex thread.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Originally posted by ChazBoner:

Kaep, Tolzien and JJ are the only one I can think of....

Smith ain't got noth'n on a 5'10 3rd round pick qb

kolb, skelton, bradford..
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
kolb, skelton, bradford..

orton tebow matt moore..
I think it is this general "trust/safe" terminology when it comes to Alex Smith. It resonates in him and we sense it and I don't know any 49ers fan that doesn't think Alex plays a little too safe or plays a little too untrustworthy in terms of playing on what he feels as opposed to playing on what he sees even if his efficiency in terms of interceptions was off the charts.

Until Alex proves to himself, coaches, and fans that he can convert more 3rd downs and score more TD's in tight situations, he will not shake this label and it is a fair label.

The good thing for us is that this 49ers personnel doesn't need him to shake that label and play like he did vs the Saints. At the same time we also don't need him to play like he did vs the NYG in the NFCC. We just need a good-ole in-between until Kaep is ready.
Share 49ersWebzone