There are 57 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Is all the talk about concussions a tad over-exaggerated?

Is all the talk about concussions a tad over-exaggerated?

here we go.........

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8020190/former-nfl-players-say-league-hid-brain-injury-links

"The NFL must open its eyes to the consequences of its actions," said Kevin Turner, a former running back with the Patriots and Eagles who has been diagnosed with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS). "The NFL has the power not only to give former players the care they deserve, but also to ensure that future generations of football players do not suffer the way that many in my generation have."

"The NFL, like the sport of boxing, was aware of the health risks associated with repetitive blows producing sub-concussive and concussive results and the fact that some members of the NFL player population were at significant risk of developing long-term brain damage and cognitive decline as a result," the complaint charges.

"I just want the NFL to stand up and be accountable for its actions," Turner said. "That is how we can prevent more people from suffering and keeping this game that has plenty of benefits. But we can make it safer and I am hoping that's what we do."

mmmmm hmmm................................
Vick

Cutler

Alex

FJax

What a day eh
Oh yeh, Cliff Avril too
^^^ Damn, wonder what the average week # is?
Originally posted by TexasGuero49:
^^^ Damn, wonder what the average week # is?

More than anyone will ever confess. There would be hearings.
Originally posted by mustangmele:
Personally, I think the issue should be brought up. However, I think the media is taking it too far. It's a real shame some players have taken their lives and suffer from depression because of it. But there are many players who haven't had such effects with less technologically advanced equipment. Also, these guys who had their brains look at. Something to consider... were they ever in fights? Were they ever involved in an accident outside of sports? Just something to consider.

lol are you comparing everyday life, i.e. fistfights or bike accidents, to getting your brain bashed around for 3 hours, 16 times a year, for 4-12 years of your life?

clearly NFL players die younger than normal people. they start hitting severe health problems in their 40's-50's, and probably wont live to age 65. concussions are cumulative. theyre specifically doing this to themselves on a regular basis, and they wont live as long because of it.

Its a choice they all make, and they get paid well for it. But if there is anything the NFL can do to decrease the damage done from playing the sport, they should try and change things, and make people aware. Im not saying continue changing the game, but at very least pay for their healthcare later in life.
Originally posted by English:
Damn Gladiators have wussified the sport, wanting to live and all that.

Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Many people in this world break their backs every day doing hard labor for big coroprations. These guys work all their lives and by the time they retire, if they can make it, their bodies are broken and falling apart.

So yeah, precautions should be taken to prevent concussions and the players should be informed. But it is what is is...at least they get paid millions instead of barely scraping ends meat like construction workers or miners.

This. My thoughts are, it is what it is.
1. They all know the risks involved.
2. No one is forcing them to play.
3. They are paid extremely well to compensate the hazards.
4. The NFL is looking into their best interest in keeping the players (their money making assets) healthy.

Accidents can, and do happen, as with any job. Now, lets say Ridell has developed a better and safer design, but the NFL rejects the idea because the paint isn't as shiny or attractive, etc, then I would say the players have a right to complain.
Bring back the Steve Wallace helemet. Sorry, I don't have a photo.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
The problem is this issue is just coming to light over the last decade. Also the damage that is done doesn't manifest itself until many years after a player retires. I can't believe all you guys calling concerns over concussions "pussifying" the game. I guess you all need to go get a football helmet on and slam your head into a tree a dozen times a week for a few years and see what happens. No matter all the money and the glory these players have a long life after football, money and fame is no good if you don't have your health. The players from the 70's and before didn't make much, many of them had off season jobs. It is not like they retired at 35 with millions in the bank.
[ Edited by BobS on Nov 17, 2012 at 11:01 AM ]
Steve Young was called a wimp by many fans because he retired rather than take more hits and suffer more concussions. It may have been too late for even Young, as the effects, as many have said, don't show up right away. He did the research and made a decision, but had already made millions and was able to move into his law and announcing careers.

Other players have few options and have not made that kind of money. They made enough if they were well educated in handling money, but few are. I'm in favor of continued research and continued rule changes. Will it ruin the game? Have the rule changes implemented so far reduced its popularity? No.

As for those who are comparing football players and accountants...use Google, look up concussions and you will find a significant difference in the number of brain injuries between those and other professions. Learn something before spouting off. If you just disagree and think it is great to have guys injure themselves and each other for your amusement...your choice.
All this business that the NFL made payments to players considers disabled like, 15 years ago is gonna bite them in da butt.
Will probably pull son out of organized football after 1st concussion.

Playing street football may be safer
Concussions are pretty serious. If you ever had one playing sports you can understand. There is just more awarness and medical clearence now. Teams can't stick a guy out on the field before he is ready like in the past.
I don't think the problem is exaggerated but outside of putting skirts on them there's not much else they can do. I've seen conflicting reports on the average lifespan of NFL players. According to the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health NFL players live longer than the average american due to their lack of smoking. Less cancer related deaths. Heart disease is an issue but statisically only a problem to guys with a high body mass index which could be a growing problem in today's NFL. I'm not even sure it is conflicting data though because the more I look into the more I see that 55 number is just something the NFLPA threw out there. According to the same study suicide rate is at 59% of the national average, but It should be noted that this is a study on guys from 55-84 so maybe things have changed and escalated with the game.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Nov 18, 2012 at 3:51 AM ]
Originally posted by JimA49ers:
Originally posted by English:
Damn Gladiators have wussified the sport, wanting to live and all that.

Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Many people in this world break their backs every day doing hard labor for big coroprations. These guys work all their lives and by the time they retire, if they can make it, their bodies are broken and falling apart.

So yeah, precautions should be taken to prevent concussions and the players should be informed. But it is what is is...at least they get paid millions instead of barely scraping ends meat like construction workers or miners.

This. My thoughts are, it is what it is.
1. They all know the risks involved.
2. No one is forcing them to play.
3. They are paid extremely well to compensate the hazards.
4. The NFL is looking into their best interest in keeping the players (their money making assets) healthy.

Accidents can, and do happen, as with any job. Now, lets say Ridell has developed a better and safer design, but the NFL rejects the idea because the paint isn't as shiny or attractive, etc, then I would say the players have a right to complain.

Just to be clear, my post was sarcastic.