LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 271 users in the forums

Is all the talk about concussions a tad over-exaggerated?

Shop 49ers game tickets

Is all the talk about concussions a tad over-exaggerated?

Originally posted by area49:
I think we're starting to realize that brain damage is an unavoidable consequence of football, like lung cancer and smoking. With that in mind, fans are really going to have to do some mental judo in order to rationalize their support for the game. It's like going to a gladiator fight and saying "Sure, people are dying, but I appreciate the strategy of the sport, not the violence."

Damn Gladiators have wussified the sport, wanting to live and all that.
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran
Originally posted by susweel:
football is a dangerous these dude knew what they signed up for.

this
and theyre getting paid millions for it
Many people in this world break their backs every day doing hard labor for big coroprations. These guys work all their lives and by the time they retire, if they can make it, their bodies are broken and falling apart.

So yeah, precautions should be taken to prevent concussions and the players should be informed. But it is what is is...at least they get paid millions instead of barely scraping ends meat like construction workers or miners.
My opinion is the depression, and few suicides, have more to due with the sudden loss of what defines them as a person than any form of brain damage. All of these guys are going to have grown up as the stars of their football teams (elementary, middleschool, highschool, college, nfl) since the age of 12 or younger. They have always been defined from a young age by their ability to play this game. They were not forced to emotionally grow up and deal with life outside of football, like most of us, who didn't get past Highschool ball. Hell, I remember a small unfilled hole in me when I played my last game in highschool. I can't imagine how that would feel when you magnify that by another 20 years of playing and nation wide fame.

At 33 years old I find myself defined by my family (being a husband and dad) and my carreer. If I woke up tomorrow and found that my job and family are gone forever and have to rediscover who/what I am, that would be extrememly difficult. And yet, I think I would get through it better than some of these guys because I have had to 'rediscover' myself before and make adjustments in life, these guys are doing it (soul searching) for the first time since the age of 12.
Originally posted by mustangmele:
They're adults who've grown up around the game. You don't get drafted into the NFL and not know about the speed or the size of the players. Many of these guys have had concussions before entering the NFL. They understand the risks because they've likely gotten a taste of taking a nap time on the field in college.
Just because a person is older or 22-24 when they enter does not make them an adult or a man. Many will have heard of it but not fully comprehend the seriousness of it. Just like a lot of things in life. They all know the game would be faster and the players stronger on paper. However, most when they enter the NFL will say to the media or you, that they knew but did not really realize it till they experienced it (the speed or strength and everything else).

Many until it happens to them never thought it could happen to them or the seriousness. Like it only happens to others. Look at us and our diet, we know to much soft drink and soda is not good for us, yet we do. How many of us go to a doctor for a checkup. Its your life. Yet only when something serious or overt shows up do we go, then sometimes its too late.

Also, it's not just the technology but the RULES that have changed making the game safer. No clipping, diving at the QB's knees while on the ground, helmet to helmet, horse collar and others. The NFL has made noteworthy changes.

Yes the rules help protect them, but you can only do so much. The rules happened because they want to protect the players, but also they don't to get sued either.

Also, there is no way a team doctor is going to say he should go into the game when he shouldn't. It's usually the other way around. But even if he did, the player doesn't have to go in. The players certainly know when to NOT sign contracts. They should certainly know when to NOT go in if hurt.

Now a doctor would not risk it and yes a player does not want to miss playing time. However, not to long ago a doctor would do simple things and if the player passed them say to the coach yes he could go back in. Some of it may have been the lack of knowledge, some because they didn't it was a big deal. Footaball is often viewed as a suck it and be a man. Concussions are a hard thing to diagnose before and even now. There is no way in really knowing unless you get a scan other injuries are more tell tale.
Then don't be an NFL player. Work behind a desk and give up your millions.

The whole point isn't playing football or working behind a desk. At this point it is not a crime to play pro football. The question is should these players be compensated for injuries incurred while making everybody associated with the game rich.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Many people in this world break their backs every day doing hard labor for big coroprations. These guys work all their lives and by the time they retire, if they can make it, their bodies are broken and falling apart.

So yeah, precautions should be taken to prevent concussions and the players should be informed. But it is what is is...at least they get paid millions instead of barely scraping ends meat like construction workers or miners.

True, but those big corporations often provide products and services that are necessary for our society to function. In that case, there's a real trade off.

Football is just entertainment.
Originally posted by ImaMod:
this

True, but what does it say about you that you draw pleasure from watching them destroy their own bodies?
[ Edited by area49 on Jun 3, 2012 at 5:14 AM ]

True, but those big corporations often provide products and services that are necessary for our society to function. In that case, there's a real trade off.

this
this

True, but what does it say about you that you draw pleasure from watching them destroy their own bodies?

and this

Never thought I'd agree with area49, but he's finally done it!
this

Nobody watches football to see people get injured.

I would switch places with any of these mofos in an instant

Not much corporate output is essential. Aside from natural elements and food production, most of is is greed and waste.

I mean, WALMART is the #1 fortune 500 for 2011... How much "essential" services and good are provided there?

Plus, what does the output matter when we are talking about employee safety? Whether they are making IPODS for your kids or building a road for your car, their safety is equally important, IMO.
Originally posted by WildBill:
Just because a person is older or 22-24 when they enter does not make them an adult or a man. Many will have heard of it but not fully comprehend the seriousness of it. Just like a lot of things in life. They all know the game would be faster and the players stronger on paper. However, most when they enter the NFL will say to the media or you, that they knew but did not really realize it till they experienced it (the speed or strength and everything else).

Many until it happens to them never thought it could happen to them or the seriousness. Like it only happens to others. Look at us and our diet, we know to much soft drink and soda is not good for us, yet we do. How many of us go to a doctor for a checkup. Its your life. Yet only when something serious or overt shows up do we go, then sometimes its too late.

You make good points and I agree that a 22-24 year old doesn't make them what we define as a man or adult. I also agree about them not realizing the speed either. Although, after their first year how many say: "That's it, I quit. I didn't know it was this fast.". After their first concussion how many say "That's it, I quit. I didn't know these guys hit that hard." What about the old school players back in the day? Despite their knowledge of concussions they knew their life could be forever changed by torn tendons, broken bones and surgeries. Yet, they still played the game. Same goes for the guys today. So why do they play? 1. Love of the game 2. Millions of dollars 3 Fame.

Remember that big guy on campus? Did you need to get in a fight with him to know he'd knock you out till next year. Nope. You could put two and two together right? Same goes for these players. They don't have to play in the NFL to know the game will be fast and therefore more risky. You and I certainly can discern the risks without having to have palyed a snap in the NFL. Why can't they?

The game will still be played even though it can be dangerous. Just like guys continue to box and fight. Thankfully, the NFL is safer and has a list of rules that fall under unnessary roughness. I'm glad that list continues to grow and players such as: Suh and James Harrison are getting fined and suspended.

Yes the rules help protect them, but you can only do so much. The rules happened because they want to protect the players, but also they don't to get sued either.

I don't disagree with any of that. But I'm not sure what you're getting at. These guys know the nature of the game. They know what could potentially happen.
Now a doctor would not risk it and yes a player does not want to miss playing time. However, not to long ago a doctor would do simple things and if the player passed them say to the coach yes he could go back in. Some of it may have been the lack of knowledge, some because they didn't it was a big deal. Footaball is often viewed as a suck it and be a man. Concussions are a hard thing to diagnose before and even now. There is no way in really knowing unless you get a scan other injuries are more tell tale.

Well we can't change the past. If a player has proof he was lied to he has choices. He can sue if he feels neccessary. But today that doesn't happen as much and that's what this thread is about; today's game.
[ Edited by mustangmele on Jun 3, 2012 at 2:36 PM ]
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
Then don't be an NFL player. Work behind a desk and give up your millions.

The whole point isn't playing football or working behind a desk. At this point it is not a crime to play pro football. The question is should these players be compensated for injuries incurred while making everybody associated with the game rich.

No because unles they were decieved they had a choice to play the game. You don't think these guys knew the owners were making more than the entire team combined?

Sorry, but you guys are insulting these players intellegence. This game was their outlet, their escape from the ghetto and/or their passion or craft if you will. How many times have you heard guys say: "injuries are apart of the game". They know this from childhood.

Also, these guys were compensated to a degree with free health care and large paychecks. This is America by the way... Nobody gets free health care for life. But hey, if they can't get it great!
Originally posted by Born9erFan:
My opinion is the depression, and few suicides, have more to due with the sudden loss of what defines them as a person than any form of brain damage. All of these guys are going to have grown up as the stars of their football teams (elementary, middleschool, highschool, college, nfl) since the age of 12 or younger. They have always been defined from a young age by their ability to play this game. They were not forced to emotionally grow up and deal with life outside of football, like most of us, who didn't get past Highschool ball. Hell, I remember a small unfilled hole in me when I played my last game in highschool. I can't imagine how that would feel when you magnify that by another 20 years of playing and nation wide fame.

At 33 years old I find myself defined by my family (being a husband and dad) and my carreer. If I woke up tomorrow and found that my job and family are gone forever and have to rediscover who/what I am, that would be extrememly difficult. And yet, I think I would get through it better than some of these guys because I have had to 'rediscover' myself before and make adjustments in life, these guys are doing it (soul searching) for the first time since the age of 12.

great point
Share 49ersWebzone