LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 174 users in the forums

Best ILB duo in the NFL

Shop 49ers game tickets

Best ILB duo in the NFL

Enjoy PW and NB while you can. I'm not sure we can afford to keep both for much longer. We'll be able to keep Bowman for 2012, under 1st round or exclusive restricted FA tender for 2013, and possibly one more year in 2014 with a franchise tag. After that, they'll have to decide between the aging FoF Willis and the younger Bowman.
The cold blooded decision would be to release Willis and extend Bowman in 2013 or 2014. We can't afford to pay both of our ILB's top money, especially if we somehow manage to extend J. Smith beyond 2013.
[ Edited by BIGTHUNDER111 on May 4, 2012 at 5:16 AM ]
Originally posted by 49oz2superbowl:
Terrell Suggs is an OLB. If you want to talk about all positions in the linebacking core or any one individual we win hands down.

Patrick Willis is currently the best MLB in the NFL.

Navorro Bowman is a top 5 MLB in the NFL.

Aldon Smith is a top 10 OLB in the NFL (was top 5 in sacks as a true rookie).

Ahmad Brooks is a fast rising star in this league and will quickly become a 10+ sack per year player. Off the charts talent and still learning the OLB position.

Many believe Bowman is the 2nd best ILB already.
Originally posted by BIGTHUNDER111:
Enjoy PW and NB while you can. I'm not sure we can afford to keep both for much longer. We'll be able to keep Bowman for 2012, under 1st round or exclusive restricted FA tender for 2013, and possibly one more year in 2014 with a franchise tag. After that, they'll have to decide between the aging FoF Willis and the younger Bowman.
The cold blooded decision would be to release Willis and extend Bowman in 2013 or 2014. We can't afford to pay both of our ILB's top money, especially if we somehow manage to extend J. Smith beyond 2013.

Naw.....

Willis or bust. He's a Niner through and through. Baring injury I could easily see Willy playing for 15 years at a high level.

Edit: Also, I think we could keep both. ILB is not a high profile expensive position. We just gotta get the new contract done for Bowman sooner than later. However, we can easily have have him for another 4 years (2 under contract, 2 x franchise)
[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on May 4, 2012 at 6:42 AM ]
Sizzle just went down and Ray Lewis is well into his second decade. Are they the best ILB duo in the league? They are the best duo inside or outside....period.
Originally posted by rafachivas12:
haha yea i know he was a OLB but i put ILB when i should of left it at LB and i know all you guys that pointed out hes an OLB searched first.

Uh, no.

What ILB gets 14 sacks in a season? Not to mention he was going to be a free agent not long ago and many wanted him here to provide a pass rush. LOL @ thinking nobody knows what's going on because you don't know what's going on.
I dont know about the best but the Bears LBs in Urlacher and Briggs have been great.
Originally posted by ace49ers:
I dont know about the best but the Bears LBs in Urlacher and Briggs have been great.

I doubt Urlacher and Brigg's parent would take them over Willis and Bowman...
if the Bears have been able to retain Urlacher and Briggs all these years I see no reason why we can't pay 52 and 53

we aren't paying QBs big money so our salary structure allows more money allocated at different positions in comparison to other teams.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Silly wabbit Suggs is a OLB.
being Suggs is a OLB i think niners win by default

• Disp
  • Veteran
Demarcus Ware and Troy Polamalu are definitely the best ILB duo in the league.
Willis-Bowman = Youth and Speed
Originally posted by BIGTHUNDER111:

Aging Patrick Willis? At the end of the 2013 season, Willis will have 7 seasons under his belt. You consider that aging for an ILB? We can't assume that the front office won't be able to keep both. After 2013, the cap goes up, guys like Gore, Alex Smith, and possibly Justin Smith will be off of the books, or at best not have more than a season or two left on any deal they would have. On top of that, top ILB money doesn't exactly break the bank. Knowing the skill Maathe has shown in the past with these caps numbers I'd be more surprised if they couldn't get Bowman extended.
This is a very silly question in a 49ers forum
Dumb thread is dumb
Share 49ersWebzone