There are 118 users in the forums

Top 100 Players of 2012

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by DirtyP:
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
^^he was all pro at both positions. don't matter, DE or DT.

Right, and my point is that he is an interior lineman regardless of the title

Right, but he's still a DE.

Just because he can also slide inside, it doesn't make him an interior lineman. It's the same with Aldon. He can also play inside, but he's not a DT. Justin is a hybrid guy and the best 3-4 DE in the game right now. His ranking will never coorelate to his impact because stats are such a large factor in rankings. Guys like JPP will always get the nod.
Originally posted by Lobo49er:
I don't think Gore made the list.

1. Willis
  2. J.Smith
  3. N.Bowman
  4. V.Davis
  5. J.Staley
  6. C.Rogers
  7. D.Goldson

I suck.
Originally posted by andes14:
My other issues with the list are that Bowman is tragically low. 85??? For a dude that was a 1st team All Pro as a 23 year old and the clear-cut 2nd best ILB in the NFL?? AND the list is for 2012 so as a 24 year old 2nd year starter he should be even better. Mind-boggling. Probably deserves to be top-30. And you're telling me guys like Tim Tebow and John Kuhn deserve to be on this list over guys like Dashon Goldson and Aldon Smith?? Strong arguments can be made for guys like RayMac, Sope (NT is the key and the central cog to a 3-4's run D and ours was legendary), and Iupati over Chris Johnson, Finnegan, Flacco, Lynch

Finnegan was easily one of the best corners in the league last year. Iupati has no business on the list. Too inconsistent. Kuhn definitely doesn't belong. Ray Mac does. Aldon does. Goldson, not so much.

Chris Johnson definitely doesn't belong.
Originally posted by Evilgenius:
Finnegan was easily one of the best corners in the league last year. Iupati has no business on the list. Too inconsistent. Kuhn definitely doesn't belong. Ray Mac does. Aldon does. Goldson, not so much.

What about Sope? I know in terms of the pro bowl, it was a joke that Raji made it over him...the nose of an atrocious run D vs. the nose of a legendary run D...
Originally posted by Evilgenius:
My other issues with the list are that Bowman is tragically low. 85??? For a dude that was a 1st team All Pro as a 23 year old and the clear-cut 2nd best ILB in the NFL?? AND the list is for 2012 so as a 24 year old 2nd year starter he should be even better. Mind-boggling. Probably deserves to be top-30. And you're telling me guys like Tim Tebow and John Kuhn deserve to be on this list over guys like Dashon Goldson and Aldon Smith?? Strong arguments can be made for guys like RayMac, Sope (NT is the key and the central cog to a 3-4's run D and ours was legendary), and Iupati over Chris Johnson, Finnegan, Flacco, Lynch

If it was my list, which I'm thinking of doing one, Aldon would be on it, and Patrick Peterson would be off it. And no Tebow.

I would have the following 49ers on the list.

Patrick Willis
NaVorro Bowman
Justin Smith
Aldon Smith
Carlos Rogers
Joe Staley
Vernon Davis
Frank Gore

I would be debating Ray McDonald and Mike Iupati. Goldson would NOT be on my top 100 list.
  • Chief
  • Veteran
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Originally posted by niners4lyfe:
Originally posted by hateroids84:
NO WAY

I agree Justin Smith probably had a more impactful season last year and has been pro-bowl type player since he has been a 49er. He is absolutely one of the great leaders of our defense. But he hasn't been ALL PRO every year like Patrick Willis.

Patrick 'the beast' Willis is the BEST PLAYER on the 49ers hands down.
I don't know if it's hands down.

Actually, it is. He's more consistently amazing than anybody else on the team.

That is just not true at all. Patrick is the man, but Justin Smith is more the man.
Originally posted by Chief:
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Originally posted by niners4lyfe:
Originally posted by hateroids84:
NO WAY

I agree Justin Smith probably had a more impactful season last year and has been pro-bowl type player since he has been a 49er. He is absolutely one of the great leaders of our defense. But he hasn't been ALL PRO every year like Patrick Willis.

Patrick 'the beast' Willis is the BEST PLAYER on the 49ers hands down.
I don't know if it's hands down.

Actually, it is. He's more consistently amazing than anybody else on the team.

That is just not true at all. Patrick is the man, but Justin Smith is more the man.

He can't be more the man cuz Willis is the most man a man can be.
What about Sope? I know in terms of the pro bowl, it was a joke that Raji made it over him...the nose of an atrocious run D vs. the nose of a legendary run D...

I think Soap is a solid NT but not amazing. He does his job but usually not that much beyond. He's very solid. Not sure he would be worthy of the top 100. Doesn't make big mistakes or give up ground too easily, but doesn't make many plays in the backfield either and isn't exactly a guy known to collapse the pocket.
Looks pretty good to me , AB. Count me in.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
If it was my list, which I'm thinking of doing one, Aldon would be on it, and Patrick Peterson would be off it. And no Tebow.

Patrick Willis
NaVorro Bowman
Justin Smith
Aldon Smith
Carlos Rogers
Joe Staley
Vernon Davis
Frank Gore

I would be debating Ray McDonald and Mike Iupati. Goldson would NOT be on my top 100 list.
Patrick Peterson returned 4 punts for TD's last year. He's definately not top 100 as a pure CB, but as a PLAYMAKER, the dude is legit. Aldon definately should've made the list.

I wouldve removed Tebow, Kuhn, and even Peyton Manning as well.

Originally posted by denali22:

Patrick Willis
NaVorro Bowman
Justin Smith
Aldon Smith
Carlos Rogers
Joe Staley
Vernon Davis
Frank Gore

Patrick Peterson returned 4 punts for TD's last year. He's definately not top 100 as a pure CB, but as a PLAYMAKER, the dude is legit. Aldon definately should've made the list.

As a pure cb,I saw Peterson get roasted.return men,unless you're Hester or maybe Cribbs,they shouldnt be on the list.

Patrick Willis
NaVorro Bowman
Justin Smith
Aldon Smith
Carlos Rogers
Joe Staley
Vernon Davis
Frank Gore

Dbl post....Derp
[ Edited by VDpwndMjenkins on Jun 17, 2012 at 5:33 AM ]

You don't think Peyton Manning will be a top 100 player in 2012? LOL. He'd have to get injured in the first game to not be a top 100 player in the NFL.
[ Edited by 49erRider on Jun 17, 2012 at 9:15 AM ]
Originally posted by 49erRider:

You don't think Peyton Manning will be a top 100 player in 2012? LOL. He'd have to get injured in the first game to not be a top 100 player in the NFL.

he'll be a top 100 in 2012 player IF he can finish the season healthy.
Originally posted by strickac:
Right, but he's still a DE.

Just because he can also slide inside, it doesn't make him an interior lineman. It's the same with Aldon. He can also play inside, but he's not a DT. Justin is a hybrid guy and the best 3-4 DE in the game right now. His ranking will never coorelate to his impact because stats are such a large factor in rankings. Guys like JPP will always get the nod.

He plays lined up over the guard on base downs with. He's an interior lineman. Go to 5:50 on the video linked below for the direct quote from the cowboy himself

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CETCDaI2-FI&feature=relmfu
[ Edited by DirtyP on Jun 19, 2012 at 11:04 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone