There are 257 users in the forums

Top 100 Players of 2012

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by hateroids84:
NO WAY

I agree Justin Smith probably had a more impactful season last year and has been pro-bowl type player since he has been a 49er. He is absolutely one of the great leaders of our defense. But he hasn't been ALL PRO every year like Patrick Willis.

Patrick 'the beast' Willis is the BEST PLAYER on the 49ers hands down.

He may not have made the teams, but our team sucked, he plays a not flashy position and he deserved to go every year he's been here. He has been our best player since he got here. I've never once seen him have a bad game (usually he's incredible in fact). I have seen Patrick have off games.
[ Edited by Evilgenius on Jun 15, 2012 at 2:17 PM ]
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Originally posted by niners4lyfe:
NO WAY

I agree Justin Smith probably had a more impactful season last year and has been pro-bowl type player since he has been a 49er. He is absolutely one of the great leaders of our defense. But he hasn't been ALL PRO every year like Patrick Willis.

I don't know if it's hands down.

Actually, it is. He's more consistently amazing than anybody else on the team.

Originally posted by StOnEy333:
NO WAY

I don't know if it's hands down.

Actually, it is. He's more consistently amazing than anybody else on the team.

Idk bout that dude.lose Patrick,Grant filled in nicely.Lose Cowboy and I think we are in serious s**t.

I would have to say 1a and 1b.Cowboy does SO much that doesnt show in stats.I cannot in good faith lower Patrick either.their jobs are just different.

If they both didnt play on the same team and also played on crap teams,they would STILL produce the same.thats whats crazy about em both.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Originally posted by VDpwndMjenkins:
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
^^he was all pro at both positions. don't matter, DE or DT.

I've seen him line up at NT at times, Justin does it all. Worth every penny, and is IMO a top 15 player at least.

Fa sho.i cant wait to hear the comments from fellow players about Cowboy .watch when the olinemen comment on him,theyll say s**t like"he kicked my ass the whole game,he has a relentless motor,dude is cockstrong,the way he pushed the guy around in the NO playoff game was crazy,etc."

To be voted All Pro at 2 different positions is f**kin mindblowin.he got 1st team all pro at a position he dont even start at.wtf?!?!smh

He had some great plays this season.

End of NYG reg season game batting down Eli's pass
Fumble Forced on Maclin in Philly game
Dominating NO OLine
Pittsburgh game, with the forced fumble

And in every game he had plays that mattered that won't show up on box score. He is a top 3 DL in the game, plays every DL spot, I love our D, Brooks is another guy who plays DE at times with Aldon and is great at it.

You know the saying"sucks to be you",well "its the s**t to be us"!!! lol
[ Edited by VDpwndMjenkins on Jun 15, 2012 at 3:23 AM ]
Patrick Willis is my favorite player on the team, but the year that Justin had last year was undeniably better. Cowboy had big play after big play. There's a reason why he was 3rd in the running for DPOY.
Idk bout that dude.lose Patrick,Grant filled in nicely.Lose Cowboy and I think we are in serious s**t.

I would have to say 1a and 1b.Cowboy does SO much that doesnt show in stats.I cannot in good faith lower Patrick either.their jobs are just different.

If they both didnt play on the same team and also played on crap teams,they would STILL produce the same.thats whats crazy about em both.

We would be in serious trouble if Grant had to fill in for an extended period of time. If you recall our last 2 games of last season were not very good defensive performances and we played 2 very bad offensive teams. 5 straight all pro selections to open your career is hall of fame worthy. Justin Smith is not in the hall of fame conversation and probably never will be
Originally posted by DirtyP:

We would be in serious trouble if Grant had to fill in for an extended period of time. If you recall our last 2 games of last season were not very good defensive performances and we played 2 very bad offensive teams. 5 straight all pro selections to open your career is hall of fame worthy. Justin Smith is not in the hall of fame conversation and probably never will be

But this ranking is based off of last year, not career as a whole.
Originally posted by monsterzero789:

But this ranking is based off of last year, not career as a whole.

over the course of their careers as niners PW is the better player, but yeah 2011, i give the team MVP to justin,

Lets jus wait n see how Cowboy finishes his career.another 4-5 seasons like last year,he very well could be in that convo..

As for Grant fillin in,he did come up w some big plays.Bowman seemed to dip a lil w/o Patrick.

If Cowboy goes down,who fills in the way Grant did??Move RayMac over??then who fills in??see where im goin doe???
It makes me sad to see other folks claim Justin Smith hasn't been All Pro worthy every year he's been here. He obviously has been. Sportswriters aren't immune to ignorance.

More confident with Grant in place of Willis then a Tukuafu or Dobbs in place of Justin.

More confident with Grant in place of Willis then a Tukuafu or Dobbs in place of Justin.

Thank you,my point exactly.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Originally posted by andes14:
f**k!!! Justin Smith will not go in top-10. They said there are 3 guys on next week that weren't on it last year so it's gotta be Smith, McCoy, and Graham. b******t!

top twenty is pretty impressive though.

Top twenty is very impressive. Nice to see Justin finally get some recognition for his stellar play. Still, he was a top 10 player last year. Easily the most complete, dominant d-lineman in football. He was all-pro at both DT and DE.

It is not impressive enough for what he warrants though. He was hands down the best defensive player in football (don't give me any Suggs crap) last year and IMO he and Pat were the 2 most non-valuable QB's in all of football. If you were starting a team from scratch to win one game and could pick any 2 non-QB's in the NFL, wouldn't you go Justin and Pat?
He had some great plays this season.

End of NYG reg season game batting down Eli's pass
Fumble Forced on Maclin in Philly game
Dominating NO OLine
Pittsburgh game, with the forced fumble

And in every game he had plays that mattered that won't show up on box score. He is a top 3 DL in the game, plays every DL spot, I love our D, Brooks is another guy who plays DE at times with Aldon and is great at it.

Still think you're underrating him when he was the best defensive player period last year let alone d-lineman. He was the clear-cut MVP of a 13-3 team (and even each of the 3 losses we coulda/shoulda won). That's arguably top-5. I don't think it's crazy at all to think the top-5 should be, in some order, Rodgers, Brady, Brees, Willis, and Justin. But it'll probably be Megatron and Revis or something like that, along with the 3 QB's. Adrian Peterson is also incredibly overrated, I really hope he doesn't go top-10 (taking Justin's rightful spot).
My other issues with the list are that Bowman is tragically low. 85??? For a dude that was a 1st team All Pro as a 23 year old and the clear-cut 2nd best ILB in the NFL?? AND the list is for 2012 so as a 24 year old 2nd year starter he should be even better. Mind-boggling. Probably deserves to be top-30. And you're telling me guys like Tim Tebow and John Kuhn deserve to be on this list over guys like Dashon Goldson and Aldon Smith?? Strong arguments can be made for guys like RayMac, Sope (NT is the key and the central cog to a 3-4's run D and ours was legendary), and Iupati over Chris Johnson, Finnegan, Flacco, Lynch
Share 49ersWebzone