There are 99 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

New York Giants owner John Mara envisions end to kickoffs

Originally posted by RishikeshA:
The lawsuits are mounting. We are coming close to a new era in pro-football. Arena Football is the future. Much less chance for injury, wild scoring, the fans right in the action. Pass, Pass, Pass, forget about defensive schemes, no back sets (sounds like the present NFL). Most importantly the albatross of the Roman Coliseum stadiums with their billion dollar price tags would be a thing of history. You could have 25 game seasons filling 20,000 seat arenas. The next generation would think it's the greatest sport ever. Nothing lasts forever.

Not, a pretty picture; depressing actually...
Originally posted by Bali-Niner:
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
The lawsuits are mounting. We are coming close to a new era in pro-football. Arena Football is the future. Much less chance for injury, wild scoring, the fans right in the action. Pass, Pass, Pass, forget about defensive schemes, no back sets (sounds like the present NFL). Most importantly the albatross of the Roman Coliseum stadiums with their billion dollar price tags would be a thing of history. You could have 25 game seasons filling 20,000 seat arenas. The next generation would think it's the greatest sport ever. Nothing lasts forever.

Not, a pretty picture; depressing actually...

That won't happen, at least not to that extreme.
While we are at it, why don't they eliminate field goals and pats.

The kick off can change the twist of the game in a heart beat and it is what is so exciting. Down 10 points, score a touchdown and get an onside kick. Or the other team seems to put the game away, with a touchdown, up by 14 with around 2 minutes or so to go. You run the kickoff back for a td. Then onside kick. It is what makes people stick around. Guys like Devin Hester and Ginn and others can turn the game on a dime.

It is part of football strategy. Yes they moved the ko up, yet teams that chose to do so still return if the kicker flacks or are desparate. If they go this route and eliminate it, watch. Not only will the game change, so will the ratings.
f**k that.

Hopefully he dies before he has any input on changing it.
Originally posted by SportsFan:
f**k that.

Hopefully he dies before he has any input on changing it.

It's already been happening. It becomes more sissified every year. It will be flag football in your lifetime. Book it. Ronnie Lott would be banned from the league in this day and age. He would never make the hall of fame and win Super Bowls. He wouldn't even be allowed to play.
Damn man reading some of your reactions was a bad idea! you guys have me scared to F'n death now that the league is going to get worse. I really hope no lawsuits come through and if they do hopefully some sort of judgement for a waiver system or a law saying players cannot sue going, recognizing the risks etc. Damn man, eliminating kickoffs? that's ridiculous I would like to eliminate the opening kickoff only to take a page from the XFLs book and fight for the ball that would be tight.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by Amir:
might as well end tackling and make it flag football.

We are going there slowly but surely. If people can't see the changes that have been happening the last 10 - 15 years they are blind. This isn't fully physical football anymore. Ronnie Lott would get kicked out of the league in this era. I think he would be banned. I don't think he could even play. Little kids now a days don't even know what real football is. This isn't it. What we have been watching the last several years. It gets more sissyfied every single year. It's not going in the right direction. That's for sure.

10-15 years??? try ever since the nfl has been in existence...

they need to do things like this because ex players are lining up for lawsuits against the NFL so they need to do things like this..or else bye bye NFL
he stoopit
Seems like there's no stopping Goodell and the owners from ruining the game.

"Player safety" opens the floodgates to infinite changes because it has no definition other than what the owners come up with.

Politically correct crap.
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by Amir:
might as well end tackling and make it flag football.

We are going there slowly but surely. If people can't see the changes that have been happening the last 10 - 15 years they are blind. This isn't fully physical football anymore. Ronnie Lott would get kicked out of the league in this era. I think he would be banned. I don't think he could even play. Little kids now a days don't even know what real football is. This isn't it. What we have been watching the last several years. It gets more sissyfied every single year. It's not going in the right direction. That's for sure.

10-15 years??? try ever since the nfl has been in existence...

they need to do things like this because ex players are lining up for lawsuits against the NFL so they need to do things like this..or else bye bye NFL

Sure since it's existence.

It already is bye bye NFL. The NFL today is not the NFL of my youth. I don't even recognize it anymore. You can't even tackle or be physical. Just rediculous. If lawsuits is a problem they need to sign waivers. Everybody but a fool knows football is really rough. Especially at this level. Sign the waiver or you can't play. Rediculous that ex players come back for money grabs years later. And ruin it for the current game and fans.
Guilt much?
i wish he;d have envisioned a game without punts, right kyle williams
Originally posted by hofer36:
i wish he;d have envisioned a game without punts, right kyle williams

Aaaah don't say that. A game without punts would deprive the league of our beloved GOAT, Andy Lee!
As they say in Gujurat, "Mara hara..."
[ Edited by Young2Rice on Apr 16, 2012 at 6:28 PM ]