There are 172 users in the forums

Calvin Johnson just got paid

Shop 49ers game tickets
^^ spam.
Originally posted by SportsFan:
Most over-rated in the NFL. He is just a product of the new s**t rules. He runs terrible routes, isn't that fast (IMHO). All Stafford does it throw it up in the air and he is so tall and big it is next to impossible to cover.

lol wut. He runs a 4.35 and plays to that speed as well. He is 6'5, there are more receivers in the league with that height- why aren't they so dominant? Oh, I guess his 42+ inch vertical helps as well. Throw in super human body control, amazing ball tracking skills, and being a great teammate and you got yourself the best player in the NFL
Originally posted by spizzy:
lol wut. He runs a 4.35 and plays to that speed as well. He is 6'5, there are more receivers in the league with that height- why aren't they so dominant? Oh, I guess his 42+ inch vertical helps as well. Throw in super human body control, amazing ball tracking skills, and being a great teammate and you got yourself the best player in the NFL

Yep he made Matthew stafford, and it is also a reason I would not want megatron. He is a crutch just like moss was to brady, and brady struggled after moss.
Originally posted by jdt84_2:
Yep he made Matthew stafford, and it is also a reason I would not want megatron. He is a crutch just like moss was to brady, and brady struggled after moss.

Originally posted by blizzuntz:
Best player in the NFL

Most over-rated in the NFL. He is just a product of the new s**t rules. He runs terrible routes, isn't that fast (IMHO). All Stafford does it throw it up in the air and he is so tall and big it is next to impossible to cover.

Im pretty sure no One in the NFL as a coach or player would say something like this....

Really

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/12/cris-carter-calvin-johnson-is-great-in-video-games-not-in-real-football/
Originally posted by baltien:

I am serious. Calvin johnson is a crutch, he is just so damn good a QB can cake walk through the season with him. When they come across a team like the niners, giants, or ravens the Qb does nit know how to deal with it because he is used to everyone being "college open"

And brady and the patriots are a prime example.
Modded.
[ Edited by English on Mar 15, 2012 at 6:24 PM ]
Originally posted by footballxpaul:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
that's ridiculous..nobody deserves that much money

ya thats way to much. I would hate for us to tie up that much of our cap solely on one player.

it seems as if the lions FO gave him that much just to show off or something, they'll pay for it later
I am serious. Calvin johnson is a crutch, he is just so damn good a QB can cake walk through the season with him. When they come across a team like the niners, giants, or ravens the Qb does nit know how to deal with it because he is used to everyone being "college open"

And brady and the patriots are a prime example.

So how would you explain the three Super Bowls Tom Brady won WITHOUT Randy Moss? And the one that he was just in? Don't get me wrong dude, I fully understand your point about some WR's being a crutch for the QB -- and I think that applies to Stafford -- but Brady can't possibly be the best example you could think of. All of his Super Bowl victories came with nobodies at WR.

EDIT: It should also be mentioned that Brady threw for a career high 5,235 yards this year. The closest he came to that with Moss was in 2007 (4,806).
[ Edited by baltien on Mar 15, 2012 at 6:46 PM ]
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
it seems as if the lions FO gave him that much just to show off or something, they'll pay for it later

No it is the same as the Larry fitz thing. He was due so much money that there was no reason to take a pay cut because they would not have cut him.

He was due over $20mil this year.

So who would you explain the three Super Bowls Tom Brady won WITHOUT Randy Moss? And the one that he was just in? Don't get me wrong dude, I fully understand your point about some WR's being a crutch for the QB, but Brady can't possibly be the best example you could think of. All of his Super Bowl victories were with nobodies at WR.

Yes and what SB has he won since randy joined the team? And that offense struggled when randy left. They completely abandoned any attempt to run, hell in the finalminutes against the giants( the 1st time) they didn't even try to drive the field just chucked it up numerous times.

Oh and then to your edit, I am talking about immediately after if they had to cut johnson or mid year he got hurt that offense will disappear and stafford will look like jamarcus Russell(well half of him anyways)
[ Edited by jdt84_2 on Mar 15, 2012 at 6:49 PM ]
Yes and what SB has he won since randy joined the team? And that offense struggled when randy left. They completely abandoned any attempt to run, hell in the finalminutes against the giants( the 1st time) they didn't even try to drive the field just chucked it up numerous times.

Dude. He won THREE Super Bowls before Moss got there. He didn't win ANY with Moss on the team. Not only that, but he threw for a career high 5,200+ yards WITHOUT Moss. Given that, how do you gather that Moss was his crutch?
[ Edited by baltien on Mar 15, 2012 at 6:48 PM ]
Dude. He won THREE Super Bowls before Moss got there. He didn't win ANY with Moss on the team. Not only that, but he threw for a career high 5,200+ yards WITHOUT Moss. Given that, how do you gather that Moss was his crutch?
Well first I still think brees/manning/brady <5k yard seasons 3years ago are more impressive then this years >5k yard seasons.

Before moss joined the team brady had to read a defense, throw receivers open, and and use check downs. When moss joined the team he just had to read a safety. It was basically throw it 50 yards for moss or 5 yards to welker, if they played to far off moss, screen it to him and let him outrun everyone. And it required brady to readjust, almost like coming out of college. Nobody was 2-3 yards open anymore.

And now the nfl rules are giving him that same advantage(well most QBs/WRs) which is why the 5k+ stuff didn't impress me this year.
[ Edited by jdt84_2 on Mar 15, 2012 at 7:02 PM ]
Well first I still think brees/manning/brady <5k yard seasons 3years ago are more impressive then this years >5k yard seasons.

Before moss joined the team brady had to read a defense, throw receivers open, and and use check downs. When moss joined the team he just had to read a safety. It was basically throw it 50 yards for moss or 5 yards to welker, if they played to far off moss, screen it to him and let him outrun everyone. And it required brady to readjust, almost like coming out of college. Nobody was 2-3 yards open anymore.

And now the nfl rules are giving him that same advantage(well most QBs/WRs) which is why the 5k+ stuff didn't impress me this year.

when moss joined the Pats, there were so many times Brady just threw it up to Moss in double or sometimes triple coverage
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
Best player in the NFL

Im pretty sure no One in the NFL as a coach or player would say something like this....

Really

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/12/cris-carter-calvin-johnson-is-great-in-video-games-not-in-real-football/

Really

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/10/03/cris-carter-calls-calvin-johnson-king-of-the-nfl/

You should now eat your words like Cris
Share 49ersWebzone