LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 228 users in the forums

Do you have a problem with paying players a "bounty" to injure opposing players?

Shop 49ers game tickets

Do you have a problem with paying players a "bounty" to injure opposing players?

1) If you seriously believe that bounty programs are limited to the Saints (and Gregg Williams) in particular, you're a bit naive. My personal belief is that ALL teams do this, and that's supported by comments made by many players around the league. New Orleans just got caught, and now the media/faux outrage train is rolling full steam, they're going to be punished, but it won't change anything.

2) For clarity, I don't personally agree with intentionally trying to injure anybody, but let's be honest. If a player sees the opportunity to hit you in a way that can remove you from the game, he in all likelihood will. I think these bounty programs are less about inflicting extreme amounts of pain (like trying to break someones limb), and instead are more about trying to get the ball-carrier to submit to the pain of being hit really hard. I'll be honest, I know when I see Dashon Goldson creeping across the middle to lay someone out, I tense up in anticipation. And I remember when Donte Whitner knocked helmets with Pierre Thomas (removing him from the game) we were ALL happy around these parts. Football is a violent sport. That's part of its appeal.

I say if you don't want anyone getting hurt, remove the helmets and give them flags.
Originally posted by LloydsKittyKat:
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Not fine at all. Then what happens next? They take out contracts and kill a guy. I think paying someone to do harm to another is wrong - period.

You just have to know, there are some lawyers working on this right now. Is it a crime to pay someone to physically damage another person? I know people have gone to jail for it, not sure in the sporting world where contact is part of the sport.

If I found out someeone put a bounty on me I'd be out for BIG time vengence. This thing bettter be handled soon or it will get WAY pout of control.

first, the 'kill a guy' bit is this

second, we're already paying people to harm other people. we like seeing big hits, we like physical football, but we don't wanna take the responsibility for that thirst when guys get injured. like it or not, the very nature of the game and what fans like has produced this. some of the hits layed by saints players under this bounty program were considered just fine until people heard about the program behind it and started mounting their high horses as if they were somehow above all of it. heck, these are the same fans that are constantly whining about how goodell is turning this into a p***y sport by making certain hits illegal and protecting players.

bunch of hypocrites the lot of you

I suggest you calm down really, really quickly. And don't post like this again. Flaming out at the rest of the zone is not acceptable. If you can't carry out a discussion without personal abuse, don't.
If it's players paying players to hit people really hard WITHOUT resorting to dirty hits, then no, I have no issues with that whatsoever.

If it's a situation like the Saints where management and coaches were involved with inflicting dirty hits with the sole intent to injure other players, then yes, that's a huge problem.
The giants did it to Kyle Williams.

They said that he would get dizzy and dumbfounded after a couple of hits to the head.
Originally posted by ubaisore94:
My vote went in wrong...i though i read "are you ok with players being paid...." i need sleep

yeah I am not ok with players being paid either. Run for me my football slaves, run.
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by susweel:
I personally don't think its that big of a story. Whether teams will admit it or not they are always trying to knock out the other teams best players.

this. If the his are illegal, they'll get flagged.
Originally posted by longtime49erfan:
Originally posted by jreff22:
trying to hurt a guy and injure him are different...hurt is knocking the wind out of him, injured is taking knees out

hurt is ok
injured is lame

By your definitions, I agree.

not his definition. didnt you see the program?
I wonder how what's going to happen with Sean Payton.
[ Edited by YungAce on Mar 5, 2012 at 12:29 PM ]
I personally don't think its that big of a story. Whether teams will admit it or not they are always trying to knock out the other teams best players.

This. Nobody is trying to break another players neck. They are trying to hurt other players bc that's how u play the game of football. Knocking players out of the game is part of that.

As predicted, this is showing poster naïveté just as bad as Spygate did.
Originally posted by aman49:

This. Nobody is trying to break another players neck. They are trying to hurt other players bc that's how u play the game of football. Knocking players out of the game is part of that.

As predicted, this is showing poster naïveté just as bad as Spygate did.

yeah but we need the saints to get punished because it's better for us.

Originally posted by WillistheWall:

I'm down lol
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by aman49:

As predicted, this is showing poster na�vet� just as bad as Spygate did.

And its the Saints!
Originally posted by English:
I suggest you calm down really, really quickly. And don't post like this again. Flaming out at the rest of the zone is not acceptable. If you can't carry out a discussion without personal abuse, don't.

i'm sorry, mr. moderator, is it against the rules to have an opinion that the mod staff disagrees with?
Originally posted by LloydsKittyKat:
Originally posted by English:

i'm sorry, mr. moderator, is it against the rules to have an opinion that the mod staff disagrees with?

Apparently you didn't read what I said. Perhaps you should. I made it perfectly clear, and I note that you either haven't read it or you have deliberately chosen to misunderstand to allow you to post this remarkably foolish comment.
Share 49ersWebzone