There are 182 users in the forums

Saints ran a 'Bounty' Program - Now with 100% More Suspensions!

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by 9erfan4life:
Originally posted by E-49er:
Originally posted by SundayTicket:
Originally posted by Bryant4everYoung:
Coach payton suspended for 2012 season w/out pay
Greg williams suspended indefinitely
Saints 2nd round picks for 12-13
500k fine for saints

LOVE IT

Lol cool that kills 2 birds with one stone for us since Williams is with the Rams he is out indefinitely and will be reevaluated at the end of the season and Payton done for he season. That's two of our 2012 opponents weakened for 3 of our games next season. Who dat gonna coach dem now? Lol

was said to be the ass HC but he was suspended also as well as another ass coach Vitt (6 games)

lol prob the OC

They just hired Spags (the old Rams HC) as their DC this year. My guess is that he'll be the HC for the Saints next year.
Originally posted by Bryant4everYoung:
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
what was their punishment?

death......almost literally.
Coach payton suspended for 2012 season w/out pay
Greg williams suspended indefinitely
Saints 2nd round picks for 12-13
500k fine for saints
+
GM suspended for 8 games
LB's coach I think it was suspended for 6 games

...as well
Originally posted by KID9R:
Originally posted by ads_2006:
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Originally posted by OregonNiner87:
Has Drew Brees actually signed the Franchise Tag yet?

Nope. NFL Network saying he may sit on that tag, may not wanna sign a long term deal.

would be a douche bag move

Can you blame him? The last time he was franchised he got hurt, had a dozen or so screws put in his throwing shoulder and almost has his career ended. Then was released. He's going to hold out without a deal done.

well if I interpreted that post correctly

Drew Brees may not want to sign a long term deal with the saints.

After everything that has unfolded, him saying he had no knowledge of bounties (Shockey did though?), all his community ties, Would be pretty s**tty for him to just walk away. And its not like the Saints are saying we will only pay you 8 million a year
  • dwett
  • Veteran
Originally posted by KID9R:
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Originally posted by OregonNiner87:
Has Drew Brees actually signed the Franchise Tag yet?

Nope. NFL Network saying he may sit on that tag, may not wanna sign a long term deal.

would be a douche bag move

Can you blame him? The last time he was franchised he got hurt, had a dozen or so screws put in his throwing shoulder and almost has his career ended. Then was released. He's going to hold out without a deal done.

well if I interpreted that post correctly

Drew Brees may not want to sign a long term deal with the saints.

After everything that has unfolded, him saying he had no knowledge of bounties (Shockey did though?), all his community ties, Would be pretty s**tty for him to just walk away. And its not like the Saints are saying we will only pay you 8 million a year
I may be wrong but I wonder if this is an issue in the negotiations. From what I have heard the Saints are willing to pay him what Manning and Brady are getting which is around 18 mil a year. Now when these deals were issued I think the cap was around 120 mil so that would be 15% of your cap invested in your QB.

Brees must be aware that the cap is going to go up next year I think due to the TV contracts. AB83Rules or anyone else can correct me but I though it was to be between 130-140 mil. Lets say it's 135 so 15% of that is over 20 mil a season. Got to think that Brees is look for 20-25 mil a season and the Saints simply want to pay closer to 19 and simply make him the highest paid QB currently.
maybe brees just wants some of that bounty money
They got whacked pretty hard. But deserved to. Keep in mind that they didn't even get the player suspensions yet. That's still coming. So it could get worse. The one thing I don't get is "2nd round picks." If you tried to hurt somebody, paid for it under the table, lied to the NFL IMO that's worth 2 1st rounders. I don't get the 2nd's. But in any case that's going to hurt a lot.
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Shockey's Wikipedia page has been vandalized already:

Jeremy Shockey ( /ˈʃɒki/; born August 18, 1980) is an American football snitch for the Carolina Panthers of the National Football League. He was drafted by the New York Giants 14th overall in the 2002 NFL Draft. He played college football at the University of Miami.

The winner of the first-ever Diet Pepsi NFL Rookie of the Year Award in 2002, Shockey has earned four Pro Bowl selections in his career and received a Super Bowl ring but did not contribute with the Giants in Super Bowl XLII and with the Saints in Super Bowl XLIV.

• kray28
  • Veteran
My opinion....I think the punishments are pretty over the top. I honestly don't understand what they did wrong. This type of stuff has always been around. BFD.
Originally posted by kray28:
My opinion....I think the punishments are pretty over the top. I honestly don't understand what they did wrong. This type of stuff has always been around. BFD.

Shockey's Wikipedia page has been vandalized already:

Jeremy Shockey ( /ˈʃɒki/; born August 18, 1980) is an American football snitch for the Carolina Panthers of the National Football League. He was drafted by the New York Giants 14th overall in the 2002 NFL Draft. He played college football at the University of Miami.

The winner of the first-ever Diet Pepsi NFL Rookie of the Year Award in 2002, Shockey has earned four Pro Bowl selections in his career and received a Super Bowl ring but did not contribute with the Giants in Super Bowl XLII and with the Saints in Super Bowl XLIV.

Nice...just checked it, and it's still there. I should forward it to my co-worker who's a Saints fan to get his reaction...before this thing gets taken down.

All I can say to this is WOW. The proof has now been shown. This is going to hurt the fans more than anything. What I want to know is, what kind of stupid dumb ass fool keeps a RECORD of ILLEGAL(as per NFL rules) activity????? ESPECIALLY after they were warned in 2010??? I love my team but they got what they deserved. Sadly, the fans are who is being hurt the worst. We get to bare the e-ridicule on a daily basis from other fans and from the media. Embarresment doesn't begin to sum it up.
  • dwett
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

I feel that there are three reason why they were punished so hard.

1. Goodell is all about player safety--- Now this may be due to the fact that the NFL has many lawsuits on their hands from former players but they are trying to change the culture of the NFL today.

2. This is a violation of the salary cap. These players were paid more money based off of things that were not in their contract. Maybe players did it on other teams but this was a case where MGMT was involved.

3. They lied about it. Got to think this weighed heavily in the NFL reasoning for this punishment. In 2010 they were asked about it and denied that it existed. Not only did it happen back then but they continued to do it.
Gotta thank Goodell, he helped us out next year already by suspending Williams. I'd honestly be surprised if Williams isn't quietly let go either at some point this year or early next year.

Thanks Gregg for all you've done...jerkoff!
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dwett:
I feel that there are three reason why they were punished so hard.

1. Goodell is all about player safety--- Now this may be due to the fact that the NFL has many lawsuits on their hands from former players but they are trying to change the culture of the NFL today.

2. This is a violation of the salary cap. These players were paid more money based off of things that were not in their contract. Maybe players did it on other teams but this was a case where MGMT was involved.

3. They lied about it. Got to think this weighed heavily in the NFL reasoning for this punishment. In 2010 they were asked about it and denied that it existed. Not only did it happen back then but they continued to do it.

All of these reasons sound like a stretch. Like they really had to think hard to try and figure out what actual rules were broken here.

The real rule that was broken was that it became public and a bit of a PR black eye for the league. The over the top overreaction to it is supposed to tell us that the NFL doesn't condone bounties or whatever....but the truth is that they've been a part of the game for a long time.

You can't legislate away the fundamental brutality of this game. Goodell risks ruining the product.....heck, he is ruining the product. He is already the worst commissioner in modern pro sports. I don't hate the guy nearly as much as I hate David Stern, but in terms of efficacy, Stern is a lot better at his job than Goodell is.
Share 49ersWebzone