LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 250 users in the forums

David Garrard anyone?

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
10 years, $120,000,000.03

git r dun
He hasn't played in a year. Really? How many players have been injured and come back and have successful seasons? I'll just do niners: Montana, Rice, Alex....
Hmmm a 34 year old QB coming off back surgery, no thanks
also, doesnt he have Mesothelioma? Dont want him giving that to any of our other players, I heard that s**t is mad contagious
You dont dump your starting qb without a reason. Particularly one who has established himself as a team leader.
  • Paul
  • Veteran
to Seattle maybe... but not here, it's clear we re-sign Smith
If Baalke and Harbaugh want to lose the team after one great season then by all means they should kick Smith to the curb and sign a 34 year old gimp to start at QB.
Originally posted by Irish40Niner:
He hasn't played in a year. Really? How many players have been injured and come back and have successful seasons? I'll just do niners: Montana, Rice, Alex....

Garrard isn't as good as any of those players.

Garrison Hearst, Randall Cunningham (but he wasn't injured)
No way, no how.

Alex is a lock and will play better than last year.

Garrard is 3rd tier QB.

Alex will be moving into the first year this season w/better pass prortection and better receivers. Plus OTA's and full camp.

I don't have any beef with Alex he is what he is an average starting qb. Everyone is quick to praise Alex for getting us where we were, when his job was just don't screw it up for us. He did a great job of doing that, I cannot take that away from him. I am glad he got a chance to sort of redeem himself. I am just not sold on him, I don't believe in him 100%. People give him all the credit for winning the saints game and he played a huge part in that game. If our awesome defense and special teams didn't create 5 turnovers, there is no way in hell we could've hung with the saints. Now for the giants game our defense played one hell of game especially in the second half. I know everyone wants to put the blame solely on Kyle's shoulders, that is totally unfair. Everyone had a hand in that loss coaches, refs, offense,defense and last but not least the exempt one himself Alex smith. Alex and our offense had chances to win even after those turnovers but they couldn't. When harbaugh went away from the run game even though it was working, I believe he was trying to give Alex a chance to be an elite qb. He just couldn't get the job done because he is not elite.
Good competition for Kaep for backup spot.
I don't have any beef with Alex he is what he is an average starting qb. Everyone is quick to praise Alex for getting us where we were, when his job was just don't screw it up for us. He did a great job of doing that, I cannot take that away from him. I am glad he got a chance to sort of redeem himself. I am just not sold on him, I don't believe in him 100%. People give him all the credit for winning the saints game and he played a huge part in that game. If our awesome defense and special teams didn't create 5 turnovers, there is no way in hell we could've hung with the saints. Now for the giants game our defense played one hell of game especially in the second half. I know everyone wants to put the blame solely on Kyle's shoulders, that is totally unfair. Everyone had a hand in that loss coaches, refs, offense,defense and last but not least the exempt one himself Alex smith. Alex and our offense had chances to win even after those turnovers but they couldn't. When harbaugh went away from the run game even though it was working, I believe he was trying to give Alex a chance to be an elite qb. He just couldn't get the job done because he is not elite.

Do you think Garrard is elite?
Anyway I'll get back to my original thought process, my post wasn't meant to be an Alex hate or love festival. We have more than enough of those posts imo. I was trying to think a little outside of the box to find ways of improving our team. Garrard statistically and physically is a superior qb in comparison
to Alex. He would be a cheaper upgrade to keep the spot warm for Kaep. The money we would save could be used to re sign and upgrade at key positions. Just a short example: we could re sign Rogers, Grant, Snyder, Ginn and Morgan; sign Nicks or Grubbs, S. Johnson, V.Jackson or any top receiver. Then the draft would be freed up to really make the niners unstoppable. I am not emotionally vested in any one player. Not even P. Willis or cowboy and I love those guys to death. If there was someone better than them (there isn't) and a trade was offered their as@#% would be on the first train out of town. I just want my team back like it was in the glory days, yes the glory days. I am not a brand new niners fan or a brand new football fan. I eat,sleep,and sh!+ football and bleed red and gold. Go NINERS!!!
Originally posted by valrod33:
also, doesnt he have Mesothelioma? Dont want him giving that to any of our other players, I heard that s**t is mad contagious

I heard this too.
Share 49ersWebzone