There are 201 users in the forums

Coughlin may have accidentally unleashed a phenomenal strategy

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • vaden
  • Veteran
Originally posted by andes14:
Originally posted by vaden:
As others have said, there's a simple fix (put time back on the clock) but the NFL was too lazy to do it. Now that the Pats have been victimized by it, I'm sure they'll fix it. I also wish they'd stop letting defenses call timeout on fg attempts.

Statistics show that icing doesn't work. It's just annoying more than anything.

Yep, that's why I want it stopped. Just wastes everyone's time.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Originally posted by 9erfan4life:
lol really

The game can't end if there's a defensive penalty

I'm not talking about doing it on the last play...I'm talking about doing it for a couple plays UNTIL the last play...
I can see doing it once after that is dumb.
You send 15 guys out the next time the refs could call unsportsmanlike conduct the next time turning a 50 yard hail marry into a 35 yard attempt

It should be a dead ball foul and 5 yards given and no play thus ending this stupidity
They talk about the very logicalness of this tactic about 13 mins into Bill Simmons' podcast for all you n00bs talking about how dumb this thread/idea is.
Originally posted by JoseCortez:
This is not stupid. Buddy Ryan actually had a real play designed for this. I think the commissioner should look into stopping this loophole.
Plain and simple: put the lost seconds back on the clock...I would even consider to put back any lost time due to a defensive penalty within last two minutes of each half.
[ Edited by communist on Feb 8, 2012 at 5:07 PM ]
Originally posted by schmons:
well if the time runs out, you get a free play

That's true, but like I said before, If you can burn a significant amount of time up until the last few seconds of the game, it's a huge win for the defense regardless.
This is a legitimate loophole that could be used to benefit defenses in late-game situations.

But like a couple posters mentioned, if teams did this more often than offenses would wise up and spike the ball, preserving time and gaining 5 yards.

It did help the Giants in the Super Bowl on the final drive. They had 12 men on the field and were penalized, but New England still lost a down, and more importantly, time.

The best thing to do would be for the NFL to change the rule. When there is a 12 men on the field penalty, time should be put back on the clock and there is no loss of down. I can't believe this isn't already in the rule book.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Feb 8, 2012 at 7:12 PM ]
Originally posted by SofaKing:
This is a legitimate loophole that could be used to benefit defenses in late-game situations.

But like a couple posters mentioned, if teams did this more often than offenses would wise up and spike the ball, preserving time and gaining 5 yards.

It did help the Giants in the Super Bowl on the final drive. They had 12 men on the field and were penalized, but New England still lost a down, and more importantly, time.

The best thing to do would be for the NFL to change the rule. When there is a 12 men on the field penalty, time should be put back on the clock and there is no loss of down. I can't believe this isn't already in the rule book.
this

Seems like there's always a rule change after the Pats and Brady lose a playoff game. League = Loves Tom.
Originally posted by SofaKing:

You don't lose the down.
Dude the clock stops after a penalty.

Are you for real? You would just be giving them yard all the way down the field.

I'm glad i got to see this before it gets locked.
By far the lamest thread i've ever seen on here, and that my friend, is saying ALOT.
[ Edited by Young2Rice on Feb 8, 2012 at 9:43 PM ]

Originally posted by Young2Rice:

Are you for real? You would just be giving them yard all the way down the field.

By far the lamest thread i've ever seen on here, and that my friend, is saying ALOT.
You are on your 30 with 45 secs left down by 9. A team spends 7 secs and gets 5 yes on the penalty who wins? Okay they spikeit and lose 2-3 secs? Then you throw in a regular defense and they justwasted time for no yardage.

This is a strategy like letting a team score to insure getting the ball back with time.

But it whines down before the penalty is flagged.
Originally posted by communist:

[ Edited by horsecore on Feb 9, 2012 at 7:27 AM ]
Originally posted by horsecore:

Ya dude, I want some of what Young2Rice is smoking.
Originally posted by horsecore:

Ya dude, I want some of what Young2Rice is smoking.

Well, I initially posted one of these as the statement "But it whines down..." made me laugh but I didn't want to be labeled the "Grammar Police" so I edited it.

At any rate, the clock is running as the ball is in play. Seems to me that if the NFL believes this is truly something to be concerned with, any defensive 12 men on the field penalties within 2:00 minutes should result in a 15 yard penalty or time put back on the clock or both. If Brady were to have completed that pass, this discussion wouldn't be happening.

Also, here is an interesting take on the whole thing:

Some viewers are wondering if we didn't witness a bit of gamesmanship from Tom Coughlin and Perry Fewell—cheating within the rules. If you were watching on TV, it certainly looked purposeful. NBC never showed a true replay of the snap, only a freeze-frame of 12 Giants defenders, clearly numbered and labeled, spaced out as if they all meant to be there. But rewatching the clip, you can see that the defender at the top of the field isn't a cornerback; it's lineman Justin Tuck, helmet off, trying to hustle off the field. He's just a few steps from the sideline when the ball is snapped. This wasn't a calculating Giants defense gaming the system, just an old fashioned personnel f**k-up.

http://www.slate.com/articles/sports/sports_nut/features/2011/nfl_2011/super_bowl/giants_patriots_super_bowl_did_new_york_put_12_men_on_the_field_on_purpose_for_brady_s_first_hail_mary_.html

So, was Brady just trying to do his best Peyton Manning impression and it backfired?
[ Edited by horsecore on Feb 9, 2012 at 10:59 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone