Not a member? Register Now!

Aaron Rodgers isnt invincible...

• BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by Joecool:
I am seriously considering that Rodgers has better throwing ability than Dan Marino. Dude zipped a ball today with the pocket within inches from him to a WR who was about 10 yards deep to his right...

... with his freaking left leg planted behing him and his right leg forward!!! WTF?

Any right handed person try throwing a ball like that, under that much pressure with accuracy and zip. That's hard enough to do with your left leg in front.

Dudes got some freakish throwing ability.

No. Marino played in a different era. You could mug WR's coming off the line back in the day. And you cold hit QB's in the head, hit them high, hit them low, hit them on the knees, pick them up and body slam them. It was a different era with different rules. Marino would put up bigger #'s than he even did if he was playing today.

Meh. It wasn't that bad. There was still an unwritten rule that you don't mess with the QB unless you want some major retaliation on your own QB. I watched most of that era and it wasn't as bad as people want to make it out to be for the WRs either.

Either way, that still doesn't change the types of throws Rodgers can make in any era.

Sure it does. Because if you could mug the WR at the line it throws off the whole timing of the play. Throw in head slap of the OT and body slam the QB and you are talking a WHOLE LOT OF DIFFERENCE. Everybody wants to talk Marino and 5,000 yards. But if he was in his prime and playing under todays rules he would have 6,000 yards. Best pure thrower of all time. He never had a defense. That's why he didn't win. It's a whole team effort. Not just an offense. But he upheld his end.
He never had a running game either, opponents knew the Dolphins had to throw and still couldn't stop Marino. Putting 7 QBs ahead of Marino on the 100 greatest player list was complete BS. He is the best I have ever seen next to Montana, and I have been watching football since the late 60's. Ok, done ranting. As for mugging receivers, you could do most anything you wanted to them until the ball was in the air, even if the guy was 20 yards down field.
[ Edited by BobS on Dec 26, 2011 at 11:04 AM ]
Originally posted by BobS:
I am seriously considering that Rodgers has better throwing ability than Dan Marino. Dude zipped a ball today with the pocket within inches from him to a WR who was about 10 yards deep to his right...

... with his freaking left leg planted behing him and his right leg forward!!! WTF?

Any right handed person try throwing a ball like that, under that much pressure with accuracy and zip. That's hard enough to do with your left leg in front.

Dudes got some freakish throwing ability.

No. Marino played in a different era. You could mug WR's coming off the line back in the day. And you cold hit QB's in the head, hit them high, hit them low, hit them on the knees, pick them up and body slam them. It was a different era with different rules. Marino would put up bigger #'s than he even did if he was playing today.

Meh. It wasn't that bad. There was still an unwritten rule that you don't mess with the QB unless you want some major retaliation on your own QB. I watched most of that era and it wasn't as bad as people want to make it out to be for the WRs either.

Either way, that still doesn't change the types of throws Rodgers can make in any era.

Sure it does. Because if you could mug the WR at the line it throws off the whole timing of the play. Throw in head slap of the OT and body slam the QB and you are talking a WHOLE LOT OF DIFFERENCE. Everybody wants to talk Marino and 5,000 yards. But if he was in his prime and playing under todays rules he would have 6,000 yards. Best pure thrower of all time. He never had a defense. That's why he didn't win. It's a whole team effort. Not just an offense. But he upheld his end.
He never had a running game either, opponents knew the Dolphins had to throw and still couldn't stop Marino. Putting 7 QBs ahead of Marino on the 100 greatest player list was complete BS. He is the best I have ever seen next to Montana, and I have been watching football since the late 60's. Ok, done ranting. As for mugging receivers, you could do most anything you wanted to them until the ball was in the air, even if the guy was 20 yards down field.

You mean those defenses that wee built to stop the run. Teams today are built to stop the pass vs teams with no run game. The main reason why Marino had the stats he did was because he threw the ball as much as QBs do today.

You want proof, take a look at Dan fouts' numbers in 80 and 81. Look at his attempts compared to other years. He did it before Marino. It's all about volume.
Originally posted by zillabeast:

No way smith woulda dropped that far
nope
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home