LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 219 users in the forums

Aaron Rodgers isnt invincible...

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • vaden
  • Veteran
We're also mediocre in yards per rush (4.2) and rushing tds (10)
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Good. Maybe that will take them down a knotch or 2 and give other teams in the NFC a shot in the playoffs....

The way they play right now, the Saints at home would be the biggest challenge for any team comes playoff time.
Dont underestimate how difficult it is to play in KC. That would have been a different outcome in GB and with them having the homefield advantage I don't think this is going to affect their confidence all too much.

The biggest thing that came out of that game was the o-line injury, not the loss. If teams can continue to exploit that weakness and gets hits on Rodgers, thus affecting their pass game, their lack of a running game will finally be exposed.
lmao...one bad game out of 13. trade him! and LMAO @ the guy who posted the QB rating stat
I am seriously considering that Rodgers has better throwing ability than Dan Marino. Dude zipped a ball today with the pocket within inches from him to a WR who was about 10 yards deep to his right...

... with his freaking left leg planted behing him and his right leg forward!!! WTF?

Any right handed person try throwing a ball like that, under that much pressure with accuracy and zip. That's hard enough to do with your left leg in front.

Dudes got some freakish throwing ability.
Originally posted by Joecool:
I am seriously considering that Rodgers has better throwing ability than Dan Marino. Dude zipped a ball today with the pocket within inches from him to a WR who was about 10 yards deep to his right...

... with his freaking left leg planted behing him and his right leg forward!!! WTF?

Any right handed person try throwing a ball like that, under that much pressure with accuracy and zip. That's hard enough to do with your left leg in front.

No. Marino played in a different era. You could mug WR's coming off the line back in the day. And you cold hit QB's in the head, hit them high, hit them low, hit them on the knees, pick them up and body slam them. It was a different era with different rules. Marino would put up bigger #'s than he even did if he was playing today.

No. Marino played in a different era. You could mug WR's coming off the line back in the day. And you cold hit QB's in the head, hit them high, hit them low, hit them on the knees, pick them up and body slam them. It was a different era with different rules. Marino would put up bigger #'s than he even did if he was playing today.

Meh. It wasn't that bad. There was still an unwritten rule that you don't mess with the QB unless you want some major retaliation on your own QB. I watched most of that era and it wasn't as bad as people want to make it out to be for the WRs either.

Either way, that still doesn't change the types of throws Rodgers can make in any era.

Meh. It wasn't that bad. There was still an unwritten rule that you don't mess with the QB unless you want some major retaliation on your own QB. I watched most of that era and it wasn't as bad as people want to make it out to be for the WRs either.

Either way, that still doesn't change the types of throws Rodgers can make in any era.

Sure it does. Because if you could mug the WR at the line it throws off the whole timing of the play. Throw in head slap of the OT and body slam the QB and you are talking a WHOLE LOT OF DIFFERENCE. Everybody wants to talk Marino and 5,000 yards. But if he was in his prime and playing under todays rules he would have 6,000 yards. Best pure thrower of all time. He never had a defense. That's why he didn't win. It's a whole team effort. Not just an offense. But he upheld his end.

Sure it does. Because if you could mug the WR at the line it throws off the whole timing of the play. Throw in head slap of the OT and body slam the QB and you are talking a WHOLE LOT OF DIFFERENCE. Everybody wants to talk Marino and 5,000 yards. But if he was in his prime and playing under todays rules he would have 6,000 yards. Best pure thrower of all time. He never had a defense. That's why he didn't win. It's a whole team effort. Not just an offense. But he upheld his end.

I don't think that means all that much and it definitely doesn't mean players were tougher. If the rules were the same today, I'm sure players learn to play with it. It also doesn't mean there would never be a QB wih Marinos throwing ability. Rodgers has an amazing arm and throwing ability. Elway and Marino also played when the 5 yard chuck rule was implemented and it didn't make it easier for them to throw 5000. Hell, Marino's 2 best years were 5100 and 4700. All those other years, he was far away from 5000.

He doesn't throw 6000 today unless he throws 50+ per game every game. Marino only averaged 7.3 yards per attempt. He was a volume thrower which was the main reason he had some of the stats he did. He threw 35 times per game that year.

Now one could also say that Marino didn't face the defensive speed WRs and QBs face today. I don't think teams have LBs that run slower than a 4.6 these days. Back then, it was common. What I'm saying is that players and all things adjust around the rules. Defenses have adjusted and they would make Marino make quicker decisions with all the disguises and complications along with overall defensive speed built to cover receivers that can't be touched.

I don't think that means all that much and it definitely doesn't mean players were tougher. If the rules were the same today, I'm sure players learn to play with it. It also doesn't mean there would never be a QB wih Marinos throwing ability. Rodgers has an amazing arm and throwing ability. Elway and Marino also played when the 5 yard chuck rule was implemented and it didn't make it easier for them to throw 5000. Hell, Marino's 2 best years were 5100 and 4700. All those other years, he was far away from 5000.

He doesn't throw 6000 today unless he throws 50+ per game every game. Marino only averaged 7.3 yards per attempt. He was a volume thrower which was the main reason he had some of the stats he did. He threw 35 times per game that year.

Now one could also say that Marino didn't face the defensive speed WRs and QBs face today. I don't think teams have LBs that run slower than a 4.6 these days. Back then, it was common. What I'm saying is that players and all things adjust around the rules. Defenses have adjusted and they would make Marino make quicker decisions with all the disguises and complications along with overall defensive speed built to cover receivers that can't be touched.

No way man. Not buying your adjusint to the rules argument. QB's HAVE IT BETTER TODAY! And it's not close. Marino and Elway would love to play in this era. And our very own Montana for that matter. Although he was not a huge fantasy football #'s guy anyway. Montana would be called a Ssuuuxxooorrsss QB by our own WZ guys....

No way man. Not buying your adjusint to the rules argument. QB's HAVE IT BETTER TODAY! And it's not close. Marino and Elway would love to play in this era. And our very own Montana for that matter. Although he was not a huge fantasy football #'s guy anyway. Montana would be called a Ssuuuxxooorrsss QB by our own WZ guys....

QBs do have it better AFTER the throw in that they won't really get hit. It still doesn't affect their natural ability to throw the ball. Aaron Rodgers would still be making some crazy ass throws. Favre played pretty much in both eras and the rules didn't make him jump up by 1000 to 2000 yards.

QBs do have it better AFTER the throw in that they won't really get hit. It still doesn't affect their natural ability to throw the ball. Aaron Rodgers would still be making some crazy ass throws. Favre played pretty much in both eras and the rules didn't make him jump up by 1000 to 2000 yards.

Favre was like 40 years old by the time the new era was ushered in. There was a lot of injuries and natural dropoff there. Plus he was the ultimate gunslinger. Kills you just as much as he helps you. Terrible example IMO for a lot of reasons.

They have it hugely better BEFORE THE THROW TOO! You could mug WR's, TE's in the old days. You could head slap O Linemen. If you go back far enough O Linemen couldn't even use their hands to block.... If you think this didn't make a difference you are kidding yourself.

The stats that todays QB's put up are "pretty #'s." But they mean NOTHING in the historical context of the game. Every single rule change for the last 30 - 40 years has been in favor of the offense. So it shouldn't surprise anybody that the offense puts up bigger #'s now. And no it's not because QB's are suddenly better and past ones were "teh Ssuuuxxooorrss."...
[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Dec 26, 2011 at 1:58 AM ]

Favre was like 40 years old by the time the new era was ushered in. There was a lot of injuries and natural dropoff there. Plus he was the ultimate gunslinger. Kills you just as much as he helps you. Terrible example IMO for a lot of reasons.

They have it hugely better BEFORE THE THROW TOO! You could mug WR's, TE's in the old days. You could head slap O Linemen. If you go back far enough O Linemen couldn't even use their hands to block.... If you think this didn't make a difference you are kidding yourself.

The stats that todays QB's put up are "pretty #'s." But they mean NOTHING in the historical context of the game. Every single rule change for the last 30 - 40 years has been in favor of the offense. So it shouldn't surprise anybody that the offense puts up bigger #'s now. And no it's not because QB's are suddenly better and past ones were "teh Ssuuuxxooorrss."...

They put up the stats they do today because they throw more...about as much as Marino threw per game that year. And Favre wasnt 40 until 2009 or so. QBs have to deal with much more complicated and faster defenses now that have figured out how to be just as successful without a head slap. Ravens and Niners had some of the best defenses in this era.
The stats are higher do to volume and ability, not because it's easier.

Sorry but this is total BS. I keep hearing people saying the rules have changed but it just isn't true. The Illegal Contract rule was implemented in 1978 and since then we have seen some marvelous stats put up by QBs. The completion % record was set in 1980 and that was held until 2009. Dan Marino's record has held until 2011. The passing game opened up in the 1980s and has continued to evolve and teams have adopted more aggressive offensive strategies for airing the ball out. Roughing the passer has been around for 50+ years. You couldn't body slam or hit QBs in the head when Marino played. Don't be ridiculous.

There is so much fail in the original post. Rodgers has one tough outing and all of a sudden he's been figured out? We all knew at some point Rodgers would have a game or two where he was just average. There was just too much to overcome in that game. Missing Greg Jennings and their starting LT going into the game. Then losing their RT and the backup RT and having to shuffle the OL against a pretty solid pass rushing team. Few people realize this but the Chiefs easily have one of the Top 5 CB tandems in the NFL. Flowers and Carr can flat out play. Last night proved that Rodgers is not a product of his surrounding cast. Missing his #1 WR and playing behind a makeshift OL and he throws 5 TDs against the Bears in 30 degree weather. I think that blows up the myth that the Packers will be slowed down by the cold weather.
Share 49ersWebzone