LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 295 users in the forums

Joe Montana: I never had a season as good as Aaron Rodgers

Shop 49ers game tickets
Alot of QBs have had better seasons than any season Joe had. Joe was never a numbers machine, except for QB rating.

But Joe came through when it mattered most, and because of that, he's got more hardware on his fingers than a Home Depot. Let's see if Rodgers can match what Joe did over his career, should be interesting to watch.
Originally posted by KowboyKiller:
Alot of QBs have had better seasons than any season Joe had. Joe was never a numbers machine, except for QB rating.

But Joe came through when it mattered most, and because of that, he's got more hardware on his fingers than a Home Depot. Let's see if Rodgers can match what Joe did over his career, should be interesting to watch.

Well he will have 2 this year after 19 - 0. With 2 more to go. And he's still young with a tremendous team around him. No reason to think he couldn't win 4.
Screw Rodgers. He's great, but if he's someone that can stand in our way on the path to the Super Bowl I want him to epically fail.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Screw Rodgers. He's great, but if he's someone that can stand in our way on the path to the Super Bowl I want him to epically fail.

+infite and beyond
Member Milestone: This is post number 1,500 for ace49ers.
Originally posted by KowboyKiller:
Let's see if Rodgers can match what Joe did over his career, should be interesting to watch.

4 rings and no INTs? Thats a Everest that cant be climbed.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by baltien:
Further evidence that the NFL's wish to see more points on the board is hurting the game. It actually used to be a rare occasion that a QB would post incredible numbers like Rodgers'. Now it's happening with alarming regularity. Same thing with teams going undefeated. It happened once in 1972. Then the the Pats did it (regular season anyway). Now Green Bay is about to do it, and it will probably happen again next year or two. I read an article awhile back (can't remember by who), but they said it perfectly:

Goodell is turning the NFL into Madden.
Don't blame Goodell or the NFL. Blame the average fan, not many people want to see a 7-3 game dominated by defense. Goodell and his predecessors are just giving the fans what they want.
Montana played when you were actually allowed to touch the WR and hit the QB...he'd throw 60tds in this era
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by susweel:

OMG its the discount double check!!!
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
If Aaron goes wins out and breaks 5000 yards, I will give it to him. Otherwise no. Different league now then when guys like Montana and Marino played. I think Montana could have done that but the 9ers had such a balanced attack.

Nobody is hating on Brady Val, I share your man crush on him.

Not only is it a different league in terms of rules that favor offenses, but the defenses were better back then too. I personally think the 80s produced some of the greatest pass rushers and defenses the league had ever seen.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by susweel:

OMG its the discount double check!!!

joe jinxed roges..way to go joe
Originally posted by Knowledge:
Montana played when you were actually allowed to touch the WR and hit the QB...he'd throw 60tds in this era
Really? The illegal contact rule was implemented in 1978 and the 80s actually see saw a pretty healthy increase in passing numbers and scoring. Montana also had the benefit of playing in ground breaking new offense that hadn't been scouted and broken down. While WRs and QBs are allowed a little more freedom, teams also have decades of tape on the WCO.

What rule changes have happened that allows bigger passing numbers? I see this myth on internet forums and ask this question and never get a response. No official rule changes have happened since 1978. Roughing the passer is roughing the passer and its been that way since the 1950s. You haven't been able to contact a WR past 5 yards since 1978. Teams simply air the ball out more and offenses have become more sophisticated and harder to stop.
Share 49ersWebzone