LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 243 users in the forums

Eric Davis' career legacy..

Shop 49ers game tickets
This is an extremely random thought, I couldn't even decide if it belonged in Ninertalk or here..

But has anyone ever wondered or discussed why Davis hasn't even ever really been whispered about regarding HOF recognition? Looking at his 13 year career, it's actually quite impressive. Compared to Champ Bailey, who is unanimously considered a 1st or 2nd ballot shoe in, who is in his 13th season now and leads Davis in INT's by 12. I realize he virtually never gets thrown at, which makes it more impressive, and this is what makes him such a shoe in, but just considering Davis' success, does anyone else agree that it wouldn't be out of bounds to at least mention him in the next five or so years?

Of course this only emphasizes how cheated Roger has been for years...
[ Edited by MaliCali on Nov 22, 2011 at 10:00 AM ]
it is the Hall of Fame, not the Hall of Good or even very good....eric davis isnt a HOFer in my book
Word, I'm not really trying to make a big case for him, I was just considerably impressed with how good he actually was, especially in his time with Carolina, he never had those great seasons as you elude to, but seems to have been extremely solid for the Panthers
Originally posted by hofer36:
it is the Hall of Fame, not the Hall of Good or even very good....eric davis isnt a HOFer in my book

Agreed, Davis was solid but really wasn't a game changer on a regular basis or even the top at his position at any point in his career. Truthfully, I used to dread when a QB threw the ball deep on us because it was almost always against Davis and frequently resulted in a gain (disclaimer: that's probably my skewed memory due to being a spoiled fan in the 90's).
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Slightly above average CB who was lucky enough to play with some great players.
We should have PAID HIM ..It sucked to see him in a Panthers uniform...

after he left, the team was STARVING for secondary help, he should have retired with the 49ers
Originally posted by hofer36:

He would certainly make it to the Hall of the Good. But not a HoF agreed.
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
We should have PAID HIM ..It sucked to see him in a Panthers uniform...

after he left, the team was STARVING for secondary help, he should have retired with the 49ers

his game clinching pick off steve young in 1996 pissed me off big time
  • Paul
  • Veteran
I only remember him after reading this thread.... but barely, I think that says a lot. Then again I don't remember him in a Niners uniform (too long ago perhaps)
  • reek
  • Veteran
?

Originally posted by reek:
?

With your first post, you bump this old thread... and say nothing?
Really?
Better than average but not by much.

/ thread
Originally posted by susweel:
Slightly above average CB who was lucky enough to play with some great players.

ture but he did hold his own...came up big when needed...everybody knows about the pick six against the cowboys...but also in that game he's the one who stripped the ball from Irvin in the next cowboys series too...HUGE....
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Better than average but not by much.

haha..wow..

its funny...but do some just not remember how important he was to our team when he played? There are many "better than average but not by much" players in the NFL currently and in the past.....non of them were as good as Eric Davis was for us.

Does he deserve to go to the HOF?... I doubt he'd be considered because he played sound football........but to be honest with you, Roger Craig is the one that needs to be brought up.

he was Marshall Faulk, before Marshall Faulk.
Share 49ersWebzone