There are 130 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Manning farfetched, but a possibility

I was listening to mike and mike today and they spoke about peyton manning's injury, saying that the colts refuse to put him on the IR. At 0-8, there is no reason why you keep someone of that caliber and start him on a (1-12 or 0-13) team by december, especially when he is coming off a big surgery.

This is when Herm Edward's made a great point. They only reason they decided this is for the suck for luck sweepstakes. They really want to see what is left in Peyton because they are going to be in a great position for andrew luck. Herm said this is most likely a case for picking up Andrew luck and trading peyton manning..

This blew my mind.. we did this with montana... it is possible.. If the colts were not contemplating this and knew peyton was locked for them why would they keep him on an 0-14 or 1-13 team and not put him on IR?.. clearly they want to see what is left in him.

I wanna hear reaction from our fellow niner fans... We are clearly the best landing spot for a QB like peyton to come in... I know its farfetched.. but it IS a possibility
Won't happen.
why not?
Originally posted by Ninerman49:
why not?

He will play with the Colts if he can play. If he can't play he will retire.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
why not?

He will play with the Colts if he can play. If he can't play he will retire.

I remember when I said this about Montana, and then I turned on the television one night and saw this grusome image...

"Tonight, the 49ers traded the 36-year-old quarterback -- along with safety David Whitmore and a 1994 third-round draft pick -- to Kansas City for the Chiefs' first-round selection (the 18th over all) in the National Football League draft on Sunday"

IF that happend after winning 4 superbowls, anything could happen....
[ Edited by Ninerman49 on Nov 2, 2011 at 5:27 AM ]
only reason they traded montana because steve young had a mvp season and he was barking if they keep montana he was gonna walk. It was the saddest day in mylife when montana was traded.
Originally posted by zainladha:
only reason they traded montana because steve young had a mvp season and he was barking if they keep montana he was gonna walk. It was the saddest day in mylife when montana was traded.

Yeah that was tough. Rice, Rathman, Lott and Craig was tough too. Even though it took me a little time to get over the Craig fumble that cost us a possible three-peat.

yea... but the rule of thumb was this.. Montana was injured... a high quality prospect was there in young having played very well.. so they went with young.. Luck is the best qb prospect to come out in a while.. Here manning is injured.. I am not saying its going to happen, I just acknowledge that there is a decent chance.. If there was not a chance, then why is peyton not on IR?
I was listening to mike and mike today and they spoke about peyton manning's injury, saying that the colts refuse to put him on the IR. At 0-8, there is no reason why you keep someone of that caliber and start him on a (1-12 or 0-13) team by december, especially when he is coming off a big surgery.

This is when Herm Edward's made a great point. They only reason they decided this is for the suck for luck sweepstakes. They really want to see what is left in Peyton because they are going to be in a great position for andrew luck. Herm said this is most likely a case for picking up Andrew luck and trading peyton manning..

This blew my mind.. we did this with montana... it is possible.. If the colts were not contemplating this and knew peyton was locked for them why would they keep him on an 0-14 or 1-13 team and not put him on IR?.. clearly they want to see what is left in him.

I wanna hear reaction from our fellow niner fans... We are clearly the best landing spot for a QB like peyton to come in... I know its farfetched.. but it IS a possibility

Umm, I personally think that the Colts -- if they pick #1 -- are more likely to trade down, pick up value, and draft Barkley or Landry to back up Manning for 2 - 3 years like Aaron Rodgers did in Green Bay.

This all depends on whether Manning will ever play again and how bad the rest of the team is. If Manning feels he has no chance of making the playoffs again with this team, they'll trade manning and draft luck.
If they are in position to grab Luck I think they will do it, either he will go to Indy and back up Manning for a spell and learn from him, or he will be thrown into the fire if Manning cant go ..either way it's win win for the Colts

First off, I agree that this is a possibility. And I would really feel for Colts fans if this were to happen. Wouldn't wish losing your franchise QB on anyone save the Cowboys and Packers.

Secondly, even if he were available, at what price and for how long? If the price is right, sure ( a mid round pick and maybe we can throw in Rachal or Haralson lol).

It would be interesting because even if Manning were here, I wouldn't want us to turn into the Colts west. The ideal scenario would for us to be like Minnesota in 2009 with Favre. A team that can run the ball, but also having a QB that could kill you with his arm.

Right now, I'd say on offense all we really "need" is the ability to hit the deep pass 2-3 times a game. Whether that be Alex Smith, Colin, Tolzen, Manning, or whoever is irrelevant to me.
  • fryet
  • Veteran
I expect Miami to have the first pick in the draft.
If this happens, it won't be this coming year anyway. The Colts would draft Luck and keep Manning for a year or two, to make sure Luck is the real deal. Then when they were ready to go with Luck as the starter, if Manning still felt he had 2-4 more years as a starter in him - they would trade him. The Colts have to make an honest assessment on Manning, if they think he has 1-3 years left in him or 4-5. Manning obviously thinks he has 4-5. He said if the Colts are winless by the time he is cleared to play, he wants to play this season because he doesn't want the team to have an 0-16 season. But I think that is more because he doesn't want the team to be in position to draft Luck than for team morale.

In any event, I would not want him. He is pretty much the offensive coordinator with the Colts, and allowed to call his own plays. I don't see Harbaugh going for that. I also don't think Manning's arrogany attitude would fit in here either.

yea... but the rule of thumb was this.. Montana was injured... a high quality prospect was there in young having played very well.. so they went with young.. Luck is the best qb prospect to come out in a while.. Here manning is injured.. I am not saying its going to happen, I just acknowledge that there is a decent chance.. If there was not a chance, then why is peyton not on IR?

He is not on IR so the team can evaluate just how many years he has left. If he plays a couple of games at the end of the year it's not to get any wins...it is to see how well he does.