LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 274 users in the forums

Manning farfetched, but a possibility

Shop 49ers game tickets
I don't think this is a problem Indy wants to have. There's no guarantee Peyton wants to stick around with Luck in the background. If Indy picks Luck he might say trade me right now. As appealling as Andrew Luck sounds it's asking them to slam the door in their iconic quarterback's face. We did it with Montana. It's something they have to do eventually, but I don't think they're quite ready to do it yet.

You play Peyton in December it's playing to avoid to that top spot, because I can guarantee there's going to be teams with 1 or 2 losses who just completely quit.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Nov 2, 2011 at 7:56 AM ]
3 things wrong with thinking Peyton will leave Indy in the near future...

a) That offense is not a rookie-friendly offense, it's evolved soo much under Manning it almost looks like they don't know how to scale it back at times for Painter.

b) Peyton just signed a huge contract, any team that wants Peyton has to be willing to take that contract AND give up picks.

c) Most importantly, look at the Colts... if they are willing to deal Manning that is a gigantic red flag on his health/ability. Manning means more to that team than any player in the NFL means to their respective team. Obviously, many teams would still trade something stupid for a broken Manning (see Carson Palmer), but it would be another short term band aid for whoever would trade for him and again if the possibly 1-15/0-16 Colts are willing to get rid of one of the best QB's to play the game... it means he is done.
Originally posted by 5280High:

a) That offense is not a rookie-friendly offense, it's evolved soo much under Manning it almost looks like they don't know how to scale it back at times for Painter.

b) Peyton just signed a huge contract, any team that wants Peyton has to be willing to take that contract AND give up picks.

c) Most importantly, look at the Colts... if they are willing to deal Manning that is a gigantic red flag on his health/ability. Manning means more to that team than any player in the NFL means to their respective team. Obviously, many teams would still trade something stupid for a broken Manning (see Carson Palmer), but it would be another short term band aid for whoever would trade for him and again if the possibly 1-15/0-16 Colts are willing to get rid of one of the best QB's to play the game... it means he is done.

In this case it means Andrew Luck came along. They wouldn't even consider this move for anyone but him. What you have to understand in terms of prospects he is Peyton Manning.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Nov 2, 2011 at 7:55 AM ]
Why is this in niner talk?
Why the hell is this in niner talk? Mods must be asleep.
Originally posted by tjd808185:

In this case it means Andrew Luck came along. They wouldn't even consider this move for anyone but him. What you have to understand in terms of prospects he is Peyton Manning.

I posted taking that into consideration, even if Luck went to the Colts, Manning won't leave/be traded for another 2-3 years. The rookie salary cap has made the #1 pick much less of a burden so they could afford keeping him on the bench for awhile.

Another thing to consider is the impact on the team and Luck if they decided to put all their eggs in the luck basket. Great prospect, but do you want to throw a rookie QB in after the media affair that would follow Peyton leaving Indy? And if he isn't instantly successful the Reggie Wayne's of the world will openly question management like he has before. Basically if they draft Luck, they need to handle the Peyton situation carefully to avoid trade demands from other players like Wayne. Otherwise it'll turn into a full rebuild. If the Colts get the #1 pick, my guess is they trade back a couple spots for a crap ton of picks, land Jones or Barkley and let them sit until Peyton retires and they can start building on other areas of need for their team.
  • Chief
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by Ninerman49:
why not?

He will play with the Colts if he can play. If he can't play he will retire.

You honestly think Manning would retire if the Colts traded him? No way in Hell that dude would retire and there is always a chance a team will trade their QB.
I posted taking that into consideration, even if Luck went to the Colts, Manning won't leave/be traded for another 2-3 years. The rookie salary cap has made the #1 pick much less of a burden so they could afford keeping him on the bench for awhile.

Another thing to consider is the impact on the team and Luck if they decided to put all their eggs in the luck basket. Great prospect, but do you want to throw a rookie QB in after the media affair that would follow Peyton leaving Indy? And if he isn't instantly successful the Reggie Wayne's of the world will openly question management like he has before. Basically if they draft Luck, they need to handle the Peyton situation carefully to avoid trade demands from other players like Wayne. Otherwise it'll turn into a full rebuild. If the Colts get the #1 pick, my guess is they trade back a couple spots for a crap ton of picks, land Jones or Barkley and let them sit until Peyton retires and they can start building on other areas of need for their team.
If Peyton is okay with it he won't get traded. That's no guarantee though.

I agree with the rest though, the Colts need a transition period between Manning and Luck.
Manning is likely to retire rather than return if his neck is still an issue after the year.
I hear Twilight Zone music.

It would be a ruthless, but absolutely smart move for Indy. They would get a star QB for the next decade, plus some extra draft picks that they need badly. In fact, the more complete his recovery, the better, because they would get more and better picks, and maybe even an excellent player in trade. Indy needs a complete overhaul.

I could see Manning coming here. Good team, a legit contender with a star QB. Wouldn't have to carry the team and so might have a longer career. I would sure do it if he wasn't ridiculously expensive.
Originally posted by zainladha:
only reason they traded montana because steve young had a mvp season and he was barking if they keep montana he was gonna walk. It was the saddest day in mylife when montana was traded.

Both Montana and Young wanted to start, and both threatened trade if the other did get the starting job. Because of his age and past injuries, Montana lost that battle.
Do you really want to commit huge sums of money to a QB possibly on his declining years?

The last time the 49ers did this it was with the aging Simpson. It was a disaster.
Originally posted by RDB4216:
If this happens, it won't be this coming year anyway. The Colts would draft Luck and keep Manning for a year or two, to make sure Luck is the real deal. Then when they were ready to go with Luck as the starter, if Manning still felt he had 2-4 more years as a starter in him - they would trade him. The Colts have to make an honest assessment on Manning, if they think he has 1-3 years left in him or 4-5. Manning obviously thinks he has 4-5. He said if the Colts are winless by the time he is cleared to play, he wants to play this season because he doesn't want the team to have an 0-16 season. But I think that is more because he doesn't want the team to be in position to draft Luck than for team morale.

In any event, I would not want him. He is pretty much the offensive coordinator with the Colts, and allowed to call his own plays. I don't see Harbaugh going for that. I also don't think Manning's arrogany attitude would fit in here either.
No they won't. Every analysts and current coach on the planet thinks that Luck is the most Pro-ready QB there has been since Manning. There's NO way that any team drafts him and let's him sit a year a two. Look at the success Newton and Dalton are having. Peyton would be huge trade bait.
They're keeping Peyton. The Niners chucked Montana away to Kansas City because they had a QB in the wings that won the MVP, and the back-up of that QB went 5-1 the first year Montana was gone. Curtis Painter hasn't even won a game and Luck, who may be the truth, hasn't even played an NFL game yet. Besides, they still have to hope Miami wins a few games anyway.
[ Edited by JerryRice1848 on Nov 2, 2011 at 10:34 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone